Barking Dog Resources

With the lengthening of the days, comes the barking of the dogs......(not mine)....

I have a couple of neighbours with nuisance barkers, it's been a problem for a good long while. Things became a little easier when last year I left a note in their letterbox, but it seems that they have been letting things slide a bit recently.

What I'm looking for is some information that I can print out and leave in their letterbox about better ways of managing their dogs barking or to help them teach it not to bark. Currently what we get is an owner that shouts at the dog to stop barking, it's hard to know what is more annoying, the neighbour yelling futilely at a dog that has NO IDEA what shut up means, or the dog barking.

I'm pretty sure we can write off, 'keep the dog inside' as an option. This dog is hairy and stinky (you know the story, let it grow out over winter)! I'm told they do walk the dog, I haven't seen it, but my daughter says she's seen them take him a few times.

They swing between 'trying' to moderate it, to not giving a stuff. It's not uncommon to have it barking at 11.30pm and back at it again 5.30am. And on well lit nights...all night long. I'm sure when they notice it they are frustrated too.

I'm not expecting total absence of barking, I just want to get some sleep!

Edited by Dory the Doted One

Doler, Agility Dogs, has successfully used a ultrasonic thing that is bark activated & it sits up in a tree looking like a bird nest.

I've got one of these. Works really well for a short while as it surprises them, then they got used to it and ignored it. Trick is to just have it on every now and again so it keeps surprising them. Won't stop an entrenched barking habit though.

Thank you! Didn't think of approaching it from this angle.

It's was a bit of a surprise (although I suppose not really) to find little in the way of easy information to give to be re: barking problems. Councils and the Dog and Cat Management Board seemed to be mostly focused on biting/attacking/out of control dogs rather than issues between neighbours.

Doler, Agility Dogs, has successfully used a ultrasonic thing that is bark activated & it sits up in a tree looking like a bird nest.

I've got one of these. Works really well for a short while as it surprises them, then they got used to it and ignored it. Trick is to just have it on every now and again so it keeps surprising them. Won't stop an entrenched barking habit though.

:thumbsup:

Hmm Mitcham Council have a booklet re barking dogs and solutions :laugh:. I think I just tossed it though. Pretty sure it was from the Dog and Cat Management board though so you might be able to get a copy from council.

Edited by ness

I didn't see anything on the dog and cat management board website. Hmmm.

I might ring the council, I don't want to make a complaint, I was just thinking in terms of a book or some notes that I could print off and slip into their letterbox with barking solutions. Rather than just the generic 'ask your vet' and 'see a behaviouralist'.

The dog's not neurotic, just shoved in a yard and they are obviously conscious of some of the noise he makes. I don't think they let him inside, he never seems to be inside. Always running the front yard (dog walkers ALWAYS cross the road to avoid him), or stuck in a dog run as far from the house as you can get...because the pool and the tennis court are right out the back door.

I'm not the only neighbour that's disturbed by the barking, either. :(

Maybe I should stop being lazy and write up something for them. LOL How to reward for good behaviour would be a start!

some councils have fact sheets or info books you can give them, obviously they will vary in depth depending on how serious the particular council is about barking dogs. Do you know why the dog barks? If you think you know you could try and find some info online specific to the reason which may help the dog owner? I.e. is the dog barking because it's left alone, or because it's bored, or because there are cats/possums etc wandering around... the management strategy can and will vary depending on the reason the dog barks.