Tick Prevention

I'm surprised that no one here is into natural stuff, which was quite often discussed in German/Belgian dogchats.

Personally I used to give my dogs a bit garlic every 2nd day and it worked pretty well with both of them. Ys, I know it's poisonous for dogs, but they would have never eaten a bigger amount of garlic (bad taste :laugh: )

Other treatments being discussed was to rub coconut oil onto the coat or certain essential oils (e.g. rose geranium or a mix of several ess.oils).

I heard as well about amber collars....it's said they have 2 effects. It contains essential oil, which is released while it rubs against the coat and in addition a certain electrostatic charging repels the ticks. Though the amber must not be polished, but in its natural form of appearance.

i keep hoping to find somebody credible willing to say that those pet protector discs work :laugh:

It would be so great if they did but given the lack of impartial (ie not the people selling them!) reviews to be found I guess it's unlikely. sigh

I'm surprised that no one here is into natural stuff, which was quite often discussed in German/Belgian dogchats.

Tick protection is one of the things I don't mess with. I'm sure if there was credible evidence of natural tick prevention methods working they would be used by many, and highly discussed.

That's why there is little discussion.

Personally I used to give my dogs a bit garlic every 2nd day and it worked pretty well with both of them. Ys, I know it's poisonous for dogs, but they would have never eaten a bigger amount of garlic (bad taste :laugh: )

Other treatments being discussed was to rub coconut oil onto the coat or certain essential oils (e.g. rose geranium or a mix of several ess.oils).

I heard as well about amber collars....it's said they have 2 effects. It contains essential oil, which is released while it rubs against the coat and in addition a certain electrostatic charging repels the ticks. Though the amber must not be polished, but in its natural form of appearance.

I have seen some of the stuff on the natural as well. Too much mumbo jumbo airy fairy for me. I am with the others. Give me some credible scientific evidence that they work, I will consider them. I don't want antidotal evidence of "I have used it and never found a tick". Especially when you live in a high paralysis tick area where even the more proven methods are not failsafe.

The best product on the market was proban until it was discontinued.

If they were as good as they claim, the other drug companies and vets would be promoting and selling them like no tomorrow.