Best Bones For Mini Dachshund

wings

Hi all,

Bit of a raw feeding newbie but my pup was raised on it so I'm trying to stick with it.

Currently fiddling around with his bone options, the big winner is chicken frames. We had to stop feeding chicken necks as he had a habit of trying to swallow them whole.

I have been told to try turkey necks but haven't had any luck finding them yet. Have also been told to try lamb shanks but will they be to big for him?

I pick up a bag of beef or lamb pet bones from my butcher weekly and I can request specific ones if they have them. What should I be asking for based on his size?

Thanks!

Hi. What about raw hide sticks? I give my young Cavalier Miah them once a week without any issues so far *touch wood*.. She generally has chicken frames also. Chicken wings have been suggested in these type posts before..

I have given mine semi frozen chicken necks in the past and altho they have never choked on them, they have inhaled them and did used to worry me heaps !

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Might try the wings :thumbsup: He also gets chicken feet that he eats on the front veranda which "amuses" visitors :laugh:

he did love his necks but my heart can't take watching him when he decides to inhale instead of chew. He always looks so pleased with himself when he does it.

Hi all,

Bit of a raw feeding newbie but my pup was raised on it so I'm trying to stick with it.

Currently fiddling around with his bone options, the big winner is chicken frames. We had to stop feeding chicken necks as he had a habit of trying to swallow them whole.

I have been told to try turkey necks but haven't had any luck finding them yet. Have also been told to try lamb shanks but will they be to big for him?

I pick up a bag of beef or lamb pet bones from my butcher weekly and I can request specific ones if they have them. What should I be asking for based on his size?

Thanks!

I've got whippets and I still feel even for them beef bones are too big. I love getting the lamb ribs for them. Sometimes they have thick fat on which I always trim off but otherwise I think they're good, as are chicken wings, legs and frames. I've recently been able to get turkey necks from a friend who buys 90kg lots from his butcher and then shares them out amongst his friends. Last time I got 15 kgs but I've used almost all of them. They're excellent, you need a chopper to cut them up. I got one from a chinese grocery store.

I've got whippets and I still feel even for them beef bones are too big. I love getting the lamb ribs for them. Sometimes they have thick fat on which I always trim off but otherwise I think they're good, as are chicken wings, legs and frames. I've recently been able to get turkey necks from a friend who buys 90kg lots from his butcher and then shares them out amongst his friends. Last time I got 15 kgs but I've used almost all of them. They're excellent, you need a chopper to cut them up. I got one from a chinese grocery store.

Bulk turkey necks sound like a great idea, a friend has just gone raw with his dogs so we've been sharing ideas. Might see if we can track down and share some turkey necks between us as well.

When he gets such large lots they work out to $2.50 per kg which is fantastic value I think. He's got Italian greyhounds and they can still manage to chew them up so your little dacshund should be able to cope with them too.

I think he misses his chicken necks (or maybe he misses the look of terror on my face?) so will definitely chase up the turkey necks. Who knew one little dog could take over so much freezer space :laugh:

My dogs are raw fed mostly because of my little JS's teeth. I have a lot of trouble keeping them plaque free even on a raw meaty bone diet.

They get chicken legs & sometimes wings, turkey wings & small turkey legs if they have them, lamb shanks & flaps, large chunks of beef maybe once or twice a month. If the chicken shop has whole chickens on special I'll buy them & cut up in 1/4's. They should have a small amount of offal in their diet but won't eat liver no matter how I try to disguise it. Although whole chickens do have some organs attached. They don't mind chicken hearts but they're classed as muscle meat & not offal. I'm wary of kidney because of hydatids. All the meaty bones I buy for them are human grade. As a treat they sometimes get chicken feet. Some say pork is also good for them but I'm still a bit iffy about that. No beef bones are recommended especially the leg bones as they are too dense & can cause broken teeth.

ETA I get accused all the time of taking up most of the freezer space with dog food.

Edited by luvsdogs

When he gets such large lots they work out to $2.50 per kg which is fantastic value I think. He's got Italian greyhounds and they can still manage to chew them up so your little dacshund should be able to cope with them too.

Might I be super nosy and ask where from? That sounds excellent!

My dogs are raw fed mostly because of my little JS's teeth. I have a lot of trouble keeping them plaque free even on a raw meaty bone diet.

They get chicken legs & sometimes wings, turkey wings & small turkey legs if they have them, lamb shanks & flaps, large chunks of beef maybe once or twice a month. If the chicken shop has whole chickens on special I'll buy them & cut up in 1/4's. They should have a small amount of offal in their diet but won't eat liver no matter how I try to disguise it. Although whole chickens do have some organs attached. They don't mind chicken hearts but they're classed as muscle meat & not offal. I'm wary of kidney because of hydatids. All the meaty bones I buy for them are human grade. As a treat they sometimes get chicken feet. Some say pork is also good for them but I'm still a bit iffy about that. No beef bones are recommended especially the leg bones as they are too dense & can cause broken teeth.

ETA I get accused all the time of taking up most of the freezer space with dog food.

I'm having the same problem with the liver. Hansel eats around it no matter how much I cut it up or disguise it and then gives me a disgusted look. He feels the same about kidneys!

From what I've been reading on other raw feeding forums most dogs won't eat liver. I have tried drying in the microwave, oven, freeze drying & par frying. Nope they won't eat it. But give them store bought dried liver & they love it. :confused: Just can't figure them out. When I did try them on kidney they ate it but like I said previously I'm still concerned about hydatids even though I bought them from the supermarket.

lamb breast cut into appropriate size portions is a good bone for that size dog a good chew without being too hard.

I have never had a dog turn it's nose up at Liver, raw or cooked, I buy lots of liver for Lambs fry as we like it too and dogs and cats are quick to appear in the kitchen when it comes out of the fridge.

He has a butcher in Kew, cant remember the name of it but he has to buy large lots so it takes a bit of co-ordination from his friends as well.

Maybe if you just ask your local butcher if they'd be willing to get large lots in for you.

Edited by Kirislin

He has a butcher in Kew, cant remember the name of it but he has to buy large lots so it takes a bit of co-ordination from his friends as well.

Maybe if you just ask your local butcher if they'd be willing to get large lots in for you.

Might do some grovelling!

lamb breast cut into appropriate size portions is a good bone for that size dog a good chew without being too hard.

I have never had a dog turn it's nose up at Liver, raw or cooked, I buy lots of liver for Lambs fry as we like it too and dogs and cats are quick to appear in the kitchen when it comes out of the fridge.

I wonder if different livers taste different. I picked up chicken liver cheap at the supermarket and he won't touch it but maybe he'll try lambs liver? I've been meaning to get some (haven't had lambs fry in ages!) so maybe I'll see if he feels differently about it.

He eats better then me :laugh: He turned his nose up at canned salmon but when I got some fresh salmon he couldn't get enough of it. I'd actually been dreading the whole raw feeding thing but it's actually been interesting reading all the different thoughts on it and trying things out with Hansel.

I wonder if different livers taste different. I picked up chicken liver cheap at the supermarket and he won't touch it but maybe he'll try lambs liver? I've been meaning to get some (haven't had lambs fry in ages!) so maybe I'll see if he feels differently about it.

He eats better then me :laugh: He turned his nose up at canned salmon but when I got some fresh salmon he couldn't get enough of it. I'd actually been dreading the whole raw feeding thing but it's actually been interesting reading all the different thoughts on it and trying things out with Hansel.

Jeeeeeez! I hardly buy raw salmon for us unless we're at the market and it's fresh enough to justify the cost!

Can I come live with you?

FWIW my two garbage guts dogs won't touch liver either.

Jeeeeeez! I hardly buy raw salmon for us unless we're at the market and it's fresh enough to justify the cost!

Can I come live with you?

FWIW my two garbage guts dogs won't touch liver either.

I justify it by sharing with him :laugh: Thankfully my butcher gets fish in fresh once a week because Hansel and I LOVE our salmon, I try and get a piece every other week. He usually has sardines or tuna when we don't have salmon.

Did you freeze the salmon first? Apparently raw salmon has flukes, don't know exactly what they are - some kind of parasite I think - & it is recommended to freeze salmon to kill them off.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/must_cook_salmon_for_dogs.htm

It seems to be from fish caught in the Pacific NW of America but if you don't know the source of the fish it's wise to be cautious.