Grooming An English Springer

paddles

Hi, I have a 5 yr old english springer, who has been clipped in the past, I am trying to grow out her coat, I comb her nearly daily (I won't lie and say I do it every day, but pretty close) so, she seems to matt a lot, and I'm still getting a reasonable amount of coat/undercoat in the comb daily, but i'd like to ask about the "fluffy" brown on top of her back, it looks like the dry deadcoat, that in theory should come out in the combing, but it is not, it doesn't feel like there is excessive coat on her back, so what is the best I can do now? continue to just comb it,? use a mars comb? Hand pulling is not really an option, since in past experiance, I can't figure it out...

Thanking you all in advance

I'd definitely give the Mars coat king a go. My first cocker was a rescue male, desexed, black and fully shaved.... A recipe for disaster! His coat kept on growing back very dense and wooly and I thought it was a lost cause but with the regular use of the coat king he ended up looking quite decent (to the extent we got complimented by a show breeder!)

fbaudrey, how long did it take to get your cocker's coat in good condition. Ours was clipped by an incompetent groomer when he was little and has been clipped ever since as he gets very wooly. Would be nice to try and fix his coat. Also are there any products (e.g conditioners) that can help?

fbaudrey, how long did it take to get your cocker's coat in good condition. Ours was clipped by an incompetent groomer when he was little and has been clipped ever since as he gets very wooly. Would be nice to try and fix his coat. Also are there any products (e.g conditioners) that can help?

Hi Leah, from memory it took around 18 months to get back to a more natural cocker look. Of course from then on it was always quite a lot of work to keep him looking good (I guess that's why many go for the clippers as a quick fix)

Yes, I must admit, i'm very tempted to go back to clipping, I got so much hair, just from her ears yesterday, today I shall work on her forelegs, I'm finding, not a lot of hair is comming off her back now, I wonder if it will now just be time? for the lighter stuff to come out, and with regular combing, the darker hair will begin to come??

Some coats never return after clipping & if you want to YOU MUST put in alot of work & generally the dog was clipped off in the first place as owners didnt want to hand strip to start with.

We hand strip all breeds but generally we end up suggesting the owners clip as they don't do any work in between & we can only do so much in two hrs & over doing it in that time frame can irritate the skin .

Slick & easy stones are the best to work on the coats ,i stripped the coats whilst in the bath wet to get alot more out .

Mars can be a useful tool but used incorrectly can also cut coats so care must be taken .

You can buy a nit comb from the chemist which will get alot of coat out too .

The key is you must do it a few times a week to get a coat back & that is all areas not just the easy bits .

Some coats just never come back & we will tel owners that despite there efforts they won't get what they want

Some coats never return after clipping & if you want to YOU MUST put in alot of work & generally the dog was clipped off in the first place as owners didnt want to hand strip to start with.

We hand strip all breeds but generally we end up suggesting the owners clip as they don't do any work in between & we can only do so much in two hrs & over doing it in that time frame can irritate the skin .

Slick & easy stones are the best to work on the coats ,i stripped the coats whilst in the bath wet to get alot more out .

Mars can be a useful tool but used incorrectly can also cut coats so care must be taken .

You can buy a nit comb from the chemist which will get alot of coat out too .

The key is you must do it a few times a week to get a coat back & that is all areas not just the easy bits .

Some coats just never come back & we will tel owners that despite there efforts they won't get what they want

I noticed that there is a lot (and I mean a LOT) of fluff hair, and not a lot of guard? hair? I know what you mean, we started clipping because I couldn't be bothered keeping her combed out, but circumstances change, and she is older and less active, so maybe we can keep her combed out. she kind of looks cute all fluffy too, but, if we get constant matts under her armpits, we'll have to go back to clipping.