zoiboy

aside from all the mistakes in the spelling :banghead:

It was pointed out to me that the law in Vic is telling

breeders that they must offer an emergancy guarantee and

I am at a loss as to what could possibly be the actual

requierment?

Paste****

Proprietor responsibilities

Proprietors, or owners, of domestic animal businesses must provide for the well being of all the animals kept at their business. They are responsible for supervision of staff, collation of records, the supervision of appropriate feeding and watering programs, maintaining a high level of hygiene at their premises and ensuring that veterinary care is available for the animals kept at their premises.

Proprietors of domestic animal businesses can only offer animals for sale that have been through an appropriate vaccination program prior to sale and must, at the point of sale or giving away, ensure the animal is implanted with a microchip (in the case of animal shelters and Council pounds, dogs and cats must also be desexed prior to sale). The proprietor of a domestic animal business must notify the Council in which the animal is to be kept of the name, address and microchip number of the animal sold from or given away from their premises.

In the case of pound/shelters, pet shops and breeding establishments, proprietors must provide literature to a person who purchases animals from them; this literature must include information on responsible pet ownership, appropriate housing and feeding. The proprietor must also provide a guarantee to the purchaser stating that if the animal is unacceptable for any reason that the animal can be returned within three days for a 75% refund of the purchase price or an offer of an animal of equal value with the same guarantee. Also within seven days, the proprietor must provide a similar guarantee on health grounds if supported by documentation from a veterinarian that the animal is sick after purchase. If the animal dies or is euthanased due to a disease traceable to point of sale, the proprietor must refund the full purchase price or offer a replacement animal with the same guarantee.

End Quote ****

I have found this on the DEPI site but it does not seem unreasonable

Edited by zoiboy

Only applicable in Victoria.

Some of it is reasonable but some of it isn't. As below

The proprietor must also provide a guarantee to the purchaser stating that if the animal is unacceptable for any reason that the animal can be returned within three days for a 75% refund of the purchase price or an offer of an animal of equal value with the same guarantee.

It depends why the animal was found to be unacceptable & if it is in the best interests of another animal to be offered a home with the people.

Example

This puppy is unacceptable as my children are falling over it & it doesn't get out of the way. Then when they pick it up its snappy & tries to bite. :eek:

Would I be replacing it with another puppy ? No way on earth

Would I give then 75% refund ?

I would give them 110% to get the puppy back.

Naturally assuming they had kept quiet about the children & their behaviour before purchase which leads to the question

Is there any obligation for the seller to enquire about the environment & home ?

These laws really do need thinking through more.

No Rebane there wasn't. That came from elsewhere I think.

Is elsewhere a reliable source , or are people possibly chasing shadows? What is written in the reg you quoted seems quite clear in terms of obligations. I can't contextualise an 'emergency' guarantee. Unless the requirement is that breeders always take back a dog they have bred whatever the circumstances and at whatever age. Which many/most will if they can of course but I have not seen it codified in a regulation anywhere and I doubt it would be legally valid to regulate for. Maybe who ever used the term emergency just used the term poorly.

Edited by Diva

It has come to pass after a great deal of looking and talking to people in charge of formulating the rules, that it was indeed a big missunderstanding based on missinformation.

The emergancy requirement had nothing at all to do with after sales service at all.

THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts