Weeing Inside At Night

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Maeby Fünke

(I decided to put this in the training forum)

My 7 year old Pug has been weeing inside at night. This is a new thing with him; he didn't always do it and I can't think what has changed to make him start. He normally holds on all night.

Has anybody else's adult dog ever done this? And what did you do?

Edited by Maeby Fünke

My three year old kelpie started this out of the blue. Took him to the vet and it turned out he had a UTI. A course of antibiotics and all is well.

I hope your boy is ok and his problem is as easily fixed.

If he is physically ok after the vet check then I would be managing him like a baby puppy and refresh your toilet training.

I had a dog who started this.

In retrospect was one of first signs of a major health problem.

He was older, though ~12, so I dismissed it as "old man's bladder".

Glad to hear you're seeing vet, even if only to exclude a health issue.

My puppy is crated overnight.

The crate is way too big, but I put newspaper on the far side of crate for overnight.

No mess. I sleep well. too.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I forgot to tell my vet about the weeing inside (we were there for his six-monthly check-up)...

He hasn't done it since Saturday night. If he does it again I'll tell her. I'm toilet training him all over again, like a puppy.

Do you have a doggy door? As dogs get older they can develop any number of illnesses that cause them to drink more (Cushings and thyroid as an example)

Alternatively, it can be because it's hot, because you've changed the food and they've drunk more (some dry dog foods are really salty and so are canned sardines etc) or they forgot or wouldn't toilet before you went to bed.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Yes, I have a doggie door but it's installed in the window of my old bedroom, which is now my guest room.

Oh duh, he started weeing inside when I changed rooms! Why didn't I think of that before?!

Yes, I have a doggie door but it's installed in the window of my old bedroom, which is now my guest room.

Oh duh, he started weeing inside when I changed rooms! Why didn't I think of that before?!

Aha!!

Also just make sure that you are cleaning up with the right things - vinegar & water or Napisan and water mix will take away the wee smells - then you can use disinfectant or Woolwash on top but you've got to shift the smell for the dog first.

If he's having trouble finding his way in the dark, get some nightlights along the route perhaps and practice!

Guest Maeby Fünke

Aha!!

Also just make sure that you are cleaning up with the right things - vinegar & water or Napisan and water mix will take away the wee smells - then you can use disinfectant or Woolwash on top but you've got to shift the smell for the dog first.

If he's having trouble finding his way in the dark, get some nightlights along the route perhaps and practice!

Yep, I've been cleaning with vinegar and water. And I've just put a small lamp in the hallway.

Good idea, thanks :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke