Changes To Pack Dynamics

Trisven13

This week our top bitch who was a very gentle dictator went off to a new home with Gillybob. Only 36 hours after she has left our remaining two adult bitches have decided to go from being best mates to fantastic enemies. We've had no major battles but they have each lunged at the other which is completely out of character. We are keeping them separated but would, ideally, like to get back to having them as friends down the track.

The older bitch was going to be desexed in a couple of months but I have brought that forward to next week. Her litter is currently 10 weeks old and for some reason my boys all seem to think she should be mated. The younger bitch finished her season about 3 weeks ago so I figure they've probably both got some hormonal crap happening as well as the shift in pack dynamics.

My plan is to keep them separated for the next few weeks and then carefully try to get them back together by walking them together initially and then supervised time in the dog run. They are happy to sleep in crates next to each other so they're not at the serious hate point yet.

Any other suggestions? Any tips?

Trisven I would sadly say "too late" and ideally keep them separated. Once two bitches decide they don't like each other they will not step back from that point. (imho and extensive experience with a multi changing, multi dog household).

A gentle dictator is the epitomy of a good pack leader and she has "managed" the other two. Now she has been removed from the dynamics the remaining two bitches have decided not to play nice anymore.

I have had similar issues with bitches previously during seasons or pregnancies that have resolved after the hormonal stage has finished. If we can't get them back together then we will simply manage them. Thanks for your input :)

I'm going through that right now and am making great headway. Maybe attacked Torque quite badly a week or so ago and has had it in for her ever since (new dog in the pack). I've been walking them and training them together, no one gets special treatment. Torque is also a very timid/submissive dog with Maybe and I have been buidling up her confidence and it's really helping. When I'm out they are locked away separately though.

Edited by mixeduppup

They're hormonal, have experienced similar and was able to get back to normal after some time so I hope it is the same for you :)

Me too!!! Marie (the older girl) is my first Fauve and she goes nowhere. Astra (the younger girl) is my 8 year old daughter's dog and they are as close as Marie and I so she can't go either. If we can't get them back together with time then we'll simply spend the rest of their lives managing them.

They're hormonal, have experienced similar and was able to get back to normal after some time so I hope it is the same for you :)

Me too!!! Marie (the older girl) is my first Fauve and she goes nowhere. Astra (the younger girl) is my 8 year old daughter's dog and they are as close as Marie and I so she can't go either. If we can't get them back together with time then we'll simply spend the rest of their lives managing them.

Are these the same two that were sharing pups? Have you kept pups?

From the lovely shots you have shown in the Breeders' forum, it seems like there's a lot more to your pack dynamics than described here. Not that I have a solution. But the cause (and hopefully, a solution) may be outside of what you have described here.

No it is not the same two bitches. One of those was the top bitch and has gone to a pet home (she was never actually my bitch but lived with me as her owner has been very unwell), the two remaining are aunt/niece and have lived together very happily for 4 months (the niece has also come to me due to her owner's health).

Not much help but we had the same thing happen this year with our cats. I lost my old boy who was boss but very gentle, within a fortnight my two girls that had happily lived together for two years went crazy attacking each other.

Unfortunately for us we couldn't solve the issues and we had to pick between the two cats.

I hope you have a better outcome.