Not Dogs But The Horse Equivalent Of Greyhound 'wastage' Solut

Boronia

aww gorgeous ... he looks very similar to mum's standardbred ex-pacer Diesel, except he doesn't have a nice flowing wavey mane... it looks a bit more like a donkey's mane :o bit of trouble with qld itch. I love their faces...they have very expressive eyes

Edited by Lasareina

BlaJaq - I didn't 'work with' any trainers - my OH was the trainer! We trained for a lot of owners the majority of whom had homes for the horses after the track. Pacers/trotters aren't trained with cruelty. Don't know where you are but there were a number of stables in the Victorian area we were and we were heavily involved with the game. OH trained and drove, 2 sons drove, 1 son is still training and driving now and I can definitely say there was NEVER any cruelty involved. Sheesh, the horse welfare was paramount, spent many a night waiting for a mare to foal or checking if one wasn't well, that was my job as the men had the day work. Guess we all have our opinions but mine are based on over 20 years of constant involvment with these horses.

TEELA - he's lovely, reminds me of Mel (race name Melriki) that my daughter learnt to ride on.

I'm in rural NSW and a lot of the trainers around here are the owners themselves. Most of them raise several foals a year and buy stock in as well. Many live on the edge of town and have small acreages, no way they could keep all their "failed" racers, even if they wanted to. They are sometimes being given away (if somebody will have them) and I have had several offered to me right there at the track, after who knows how many failed attempts to get the time required to go on to race.

Just because your experiences are different from mine doesn't make mine untrue.

BlackJaq, certainly am not going to argue with you but what the 'hobby' trainers do could be vastly different to a what a professional trainer does. Much like a novice trying to teach top level obedience. Your references to 'punishment' scars''outrider' etc. have me a bit puzzled as these aren't known/accepted in the horse world I frequent. Must find the photos of some of the horses we trained.

I never said they were professionals, just that these things are common around here. I cannot speak for other places I have not seen and neither can you. I believe that things are just dandy over your way, I never said they were not.

On our track we always have mounted outriders to pony horses that are being difficult or to hold them just before the race starts so the drivers can make last minute adjustments to their gear. The Gallopers around here have them also. Not sure how they do things in Vic.

I am also not sure how your photos (from Vic, presumably) are going to disprove what I have said..

Just because your horses are well cared for and don't have bucket heads does not mean this is true for everywhere else and the numbers of pacers produced around here are pretty large, so even if you don't contribute a single horse to the number of horses being dogged after their racing career, then that still leaves plenty from other "hobby" trainers who might not be your neighbors, but they exist none-the-less.

Not sure what you are trying to prove? That these things do not exist in the racing world? Because they do, with STBs just like with TBs. I know some good TB trainers who take good care of their horses and teach them under saddle manners and prepare them for life after racing, but I also know plenty who jog their horses behind a vehicle to get them in racing condition and apart from being broken in, those horses only ever go under saddle on race days.. Not ideal if they are to move onto a riding horse career obviously...

So your point being? That no race horse is ever bucket-headed or mistreated just because yours aren't?

Edited by BlackJaq

My point/s is that you are giving a very one-sided view of the Harness Racing industry. It reads that every horse is a bucket head, they all get bad treatment, no-one ever wants them when they are finished racing etc. I said that unfortunately some do end up at the doggers, this will mainly depend on what the owner wants done with them and some can just be too rattle-headed to make a good ride. Son who is training and driving spent quite a few years stabled/worked at Orange/Bathurst with other trainers and he would be the first to reject cruelty by others. Thought a few photos might show that they aren't all bucket head ugly. BTW - The guy/girl on horse back at the tracks are called Clerk of the Course.

Ok then, I was "Clerk of Course"-ing.....

Of course they aren't all ugly, but many have a head that people just don't find attractive.

I'm glad your experiences are good and fortunately you are here to present a counter point of view. I was trying to explain some of the reasons why they may not be popular, based on what happens to many of them. Because I have not met many STBs who would not make a great saddle horse, just based on themselves (i.e. their temperament of their conformation or even their gaits). Most of them are very sweet, and often extremely docile and beginner friendly.

So anyway. I still don't agree with the wastage, in STBs, TBs or greyhounds, regardless of how well "some" are treated or not.

I rode a standardbred as a teenager, his name was Phil. :laugh: He couldn't really trot, he paced most of the time but he was very quiet and gentle (and a bit lazy!) and I enjoyed riding him. He tended to pace most when he was overexcited. He was a hard worker though and I agree with the statement that they are eager to please.

teela, that's an extremely pretty STB in your photo. :heart: I always felt sorrow about the fate/wastage of the STBs, one does not see many around here where I live. One goes for the imposing TBs, as there are so many around - already trained to saddle. The STB is supposed to be a good doer, easy to get along with/please, with good quality/hard hoofs............

This link might shed more light about their popularity:

http://forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/showthread.php?102367-Standardbreds-the-undervalued-riding-horse&highlight=trotters

My ex-husband learned on ride on a 16 year old ex-pacer. Forgotten his racing name, but he won 32 races, and would never be sold, but we were able to borrow him. Apart from being a willing but bombproof ride, he was happy to have the collar and hames on and drag posts and trees all over the place for fencing.

He didn't have a head like a brick either - he was a cobby type, with a nice short head with a lot of width between the eyes. Only problem was he was more cunning than an outhouse rat and could open every gate or door on the place, including the feedroom. He was a laugh a minute though!!

There is quite a lot of driving now a(competion, pleasure etc) I am surprised more people don't use them for that. Friend just completed a 2 week pleasure drive in northern NSW with an ex trotter. they all had a grand time.

And whilst I don't think James is quite up to the conpetition in the Garryowen, he is a lovely horse with good paces, who could hold his own in most shows, including the royal. And it was good to see him out there in the public eye. Can't generalise, they are all different.

Go Standardbreds

• 2 weeks later...