Food

What sort of dog are you adopting ?? My guys get one cup of Black Hawk each at night with the occasional raw egg & in the mornings they get half a turkey neck. Currently they are on Fish & Sweet Potato but also do well on the Lamb & Rice. They lost a small bit of weight on the Chicken & Rice as they are very active dogs.

So the dog we are adopting is currently on Blackhawk. I will get done of this but what else can I introduce to make it last longer. She also gets veggies occasionally and a raw egg once a week.

what do you mean make it last longer? It reads like you are trying to cut down on costs already, are you sure you can afford to adopt this dog?

You can't make food last longer, you feed what you need to feed to keep the dog healthy.

You can feed a different dry food if you want but you still need to feed an appropriate amount.

I don't think feeding to the requirements of your wallet is going to be in the best interests of your dog. BlackHawk is not a terribly expensive food (although I believe it's seriously overpriced for what it is) but if you can't afford that, your options for decent foods are going to be seriously limited.

Also, feeding additional vegetables to a dog that is on a diet that includes a lot of fibre and carbs... I don't think that's a good idea. Dogs are carnivores, padding out their diet with vegetables does them no good.

Lots of people feed half kibble and half "something else" - not necessarily to save money. I supplement with leftover meat, chicken - mainly because he won't eat the kibble by itself :) For a Lab though you would have to add a fair bit to pad it out - maybe you are better off going for a less expensive kibble if price is an issue?

Guest hankodie

Sorry I didn't mean it the way it's obviously came across. I plan on still using it I just don't want to do kibble only . So could I mix raw meat with it ect

My golden retriever gets a couple of cups of kibble a day, sometimes I add yogurt, canned sardines, bits of (dog friendly) leftovers, etc depending on what's around.

If you want to supplement his diet on top of the kibble you could give him raw meaty bones.

Lots of people do. Many feed meat for one meal and kibble for the other.

Sorry I didn't mean it the way it's obviously came across. I plan on still using it I just don't want to do kibble only . So could I mix raw meat with it ect

My golden retriever gets a couple of cups of kibble a day, sometimes I add yogurt, canned sardines, bits of (dog friendly) leftovers, etc depending on what's around.

If you want to supplement his diet on top of the kibble you could give him raw meaty bones.

What kind of yoghurt so you give?

Guest hankodie

I give him natural yogurt as it helps with his digestion but he only gets it occasionally. He gets canned sardines every couple of weeks.

Also, just fyi - kibble is designed to be a balanced & complete diet for dogs, so your pup won't be missing out on any vital nutrients on the kibble if that's what you're worried about :). Extras are good to add but they shouldn't replace his actual meal.

Raw bones would be another good thing to give him - do you have a local butcher handy? My pup particularly loves lamb necks, turkey necks and lamb flaps but I know DOLers feed all kinds of bones (non-weight bearing kind).

The most important thing is giving him a balanced diet and making sure he's at a healthy weight :) Especially seeing as retrievers have a tendency to get quite porky as they are total garbage disposal machines!

I give him natural yogurt as it helps with his digestion but he only gets it occasionally. He gets canned sardines every couple of weeks.

Also, just fyi - kibble is designed to be a balanced & complete diet for dogs, so your pup won't be missing out on any vital nutrients on the kibble if that's what you're worried about :). Extras are good to add but they shouldn't replace his actual meal.

Raw bones would be another good thing to give him - do you have a local butcher handy? My pup particularly loves lamb necks, turkey necks and lamb flaps but I know DOLers feed all kinds of bones (non-weight bearing kind).

The most important thing is giving him a balanced diet and making sure he's at a healthy weight :) Especially seeing as retrievers have a tendency to get quite porky as they are total garbage disposal machines!

Yes we have a local butcher not to far away thank you for your answers :)