Dogs And Baby

W Sibs

Thanks everyone... the Naked one is pretty awesome :)

Congratulations on your new baked family member :)

Can you explain what you did to prepare your dogs for the babies arrival. This is something I'm interested in for if we have a baby in the coming years.

The things I did was teaching the dogs were:

- respect and stay away from the babies things (they aren't allow to touch babies blankets, toys, clothes etc.)

- played baby crying noises

- took them out to interactive with babies and young kids a lot

- taught them there is no playing in the nursery and they wait to be invited into the nursery room.

- also teaching the husband to step up on with the dogs... last month of pregnancy I couldn't walk Skeeter, so he took on more of the doggie duties.

But it's just important not to really change up the dogs routine now.. like their walks and their time with us. Although things have changed, we made sure that the dogs lifestyle they are use too haven't changed too much... we try to keep things as normal as possible. Schedule and routine have changed a bit to adjust with the baby, and they have easily adapt to the change easily. Also, they are family and we include them into everything like always... eg, when Im feeding the baby on the bed, I usually get the white fluffies on the bed with me chilling and keeping me company, tummy time consist of 2 fluffies and 1 naked one laying laying on the floor cooing/wooing and moving limbs.

I'm still working with Skeeter to walk nicely beside the stroller, although Emmy has mastered this skill.

Edited by W Sibs