Daisy's Nasal Mites

Boronia

When I first bought Daisy two years ago (she was 7y/o) she would have mild distress with her breathing especially on hot days and if she got excited (like when she gets her chicken wing after her tea), she would go huff huff huff or when she was panting she would have a click on each breath-intake.

I had her desexed and asked the vet to check if she had any problems with her lungs/trachea, they did and she had a normal respiratory system, we put it down to (maybe) some damage when she was much younger and so I have always kept an eye on her to make sure she didn't get stressed.

A month-or-so ago she became worse...sneezing and clicking on breath-intake..much like reverse sneezing but more continuous, took her back to the vets, she was checked...lungs were fine but she had foamy-snot at the back of her throat and swollen tonsils (yes, dogs get tonsillitis), she was put on AB's and Niralone cortisone tablets. She did get a bit better but only about 60% better.

A couple of weeks later she became really distressed, couldn't catch her breath and sneezing so much and for extended periods (20 minutes), each sneeze (and accompanying head shaking) was pretty violent and her nose would hit the floor, it became bloody so I had to hold her and calm her down, she finally sneezed up a tiny bit of snot.

Back to the vets...my usual vet was on her day off so managed to get an appt with her husband, he checked Daisy again (who by this time was showing no signs of any distress even though I took her for a walk in the sun...go figure!) he said that he would like to try an injection of Dectomax (similar/updated Ivomectin) in the hope that she had nasal mites. He said that she may react if there were mites as the mites usually go berko after the injection (similar to dogs given Comfortis for flea infestation) so she needed observation for a couple of hours after the injection.

Daisy showed no signs of any distress at all but the next day she had stopped clicking and over this past week is pretty well clicking/huffing free. She has a follow-up injection this time next week.

I have posted this long Daisy-saga as her symptoms were similar to reverse sneezing, so maybe, in some cases, the dog may have nasal mites.

here is a link to Canine nasal mites info, the Clinical Findings are of interest----> http://www.merckmanu...asal_mites.html

and some revolting- mite photos here---> https://www.google.c...iw=1024&bih=582