Australian Animal Welfare Advisory Council Abolished

Danois

Did the previous government do anything about animal welfare?? can someone post the press statement so we can read it an make comments...

Maree

CPR

That is actually a good point.

They didn't do anything & they had the committee.

Which goes to show how useless it was & a waste of money. Money that could be put to better use.

They don't need a committee to know what is going on & to do something about it. They already know.

Thats the whole point no one ever takes notice of committees and they already know that no matter what the committees say they will nod and appear to care but wont - why pay money for the pretence? If they need an expert to back up some crap decision they will get one or two they agree with to say they consulted. Nothing new here they are just saving money and being more obvious about it.

Please don't turn this into yet another Tony Abbott bashing thread - stick to the one in OT. It clouds the issue. I would like to see the outcomes and deliverables achieved by these committees. Having worked in government I have seen all too clearly how useless many committees are - basically just feel good talk-fests. As regards the core issue of animal exports and welfare I come down on the side of banning live exports altogether - but that isn't going to happen. I was listening to Warren Truss talking about this issue and he was saying that Australia is the only live exporting country who takes any interest in the welfare of our animals once they leave our shore - that is we have people on the ground working to improve conditions in receiving countries. You can't change the culture of other countries unfortunately. Perhaps that is what this committee was overseeing? Has that role been devolved elsewhere? I need to do some more research. Certainly I don't think any coloured government will put animal welfare before the economy, diplomatic relations with touchy neighbours and the bushie voting bloc.

the concept that the person who breeds an animal or who is an agent to sell the animal should be responsible for everything that may happen to it after it gets to the new owner is a bit way out there in a world wide arena.

I suppose we won't need to worry about the animals when we have no atmosphere or land that's left un-mined etc.

God this all makes me so mad and so very sad. I hate him with a burning passion. I've never really hated a politician like I do him.

The following information is the 1st thing to appear on the website for the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy Advisory Council. This says to me that they clearly didn't do much in the following 2 years...

I could care less about the names of councils and ministers. Actions speak louder than names :p

New advisory committee appointed

In October 2011, the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry appointed a new Australian Animal Welfare Advisory Committee. This Committee replaces the previous National Consultative Committee on Animal Welfare and the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy Advisory Committee in line with recommendations from the Review of the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy 2009 by Bruce Gemmell PDF Icon PDF [405 KB].

Members of the AusAWAC were selected because of their skills, knowledge and experience across a wide range of stakeholder groups, and their ability to steer complex animal welfare issues and policy development to a successful conclusion.

Membership of the AusAWAC

Chair: Dr Gardner Murray, Special Advisor to OIE, former Australian Chief Veterinary Officer

Dr Hugh Wirth AO, expert member

Dr Kevin Doyle, expert member

Mr Keith Adams, expert member

Prof Mary Barton, expert member

Dr Norm Blackman, expert member

Mrs Helen Cathles, expert member

Mr Brett McCallum, expert member

Dr Lyndy Scott, expert member

Dr Dedee Woodside, expert member

Ms Glenys Oogjes, representative member, animal advocacy sector

Mr Bill Bray, representative member, National Farmers' Federation

Dr Rick Symons, representative member, States/Territories

Mr Phillip Glyde, representative member, Commonwealth

I suppose we won't need to worry about the animals when we have no atmosphere or land that's left un-mined etc.

God this all makes me so mad and so very sad. I hate him with a burning passion. I've never really hated a politician like I do him.

The last 2 pm's weren't that crash hot either.

Look I get it - I don't like him either but this isn't about Abbott its about the politics and the reality is no one [politicians] ever take any notice of committees anyway. How some of them ever got on the committee in the first place is beyond me.

The last 2 pm's weren't that crash hot either.

Totally true, but he just sets my teeth on edge.

Did the previous government do anything about animal welfare?? can someone post the press statement so we can read it an make comments...

Maree

CPR

That is actually a good point.

They didn't do anything & they had the committee.

Which goes to show how useless it was & a waste of money. Money that could be put to better use.

They don't need a committee to know what is going on & to do something about it. They already know.

Really.... the Animal Welfare Advisory Committee was 'useless'?

One example, posted here on DOL by Aphra, 23 October:

If people are interested, there is a major cross-jurisdicational and national project on managing animals (companion, livestock and other) in disasters. It has been underway for three years now and last month held the third workshop on progress. It is co-ordinated by the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy, which is a national body.

Also, I've posted reference to the National Animal Welfare Strategy paper a number of times, in DOL threads. It has excellent positions on matters like the difference between animal welfare & animal rights ... which shows a determination by the Australian Government not to endorse some of the extreme positions in relation to companion animals, rampant in the US. The Committee's job was based on the aims in that Strategy.

http://www.daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/welfare/aaws/australian-animal-welfare-strategy-aaws-and-national-implementation-plan-2010-14#t9

I've got respect for the expertise of most of the members who served on that committee & the nature of advices given.

Edited by mita

I'm not in favour of anything being abolished unless there is something better put in its place, this government wants to remove even the appearance of giving a rats about animal welfare, and that is what we should be worrying about. At least if something exists it can be improved upon, of it removed and nothing replaces it then it speaks volumes IMO