Griffith Pound

I took 3 pups from Griffith Pound in September...1 died and 2 were pts a few days after being in quarantine due to parvo. I knew Griffith Pound was a risk,but I had room and thought I could help these three.

I reported it to the Ranger at the time, Anthony, and made mention of the fact that the other Ranger had let the pups run from their pen to the outside area, all over the dirt and concrete near the entrance of the pound. Not a good practice and I nearly said keep the pups...but I wanted to give them a chance. The pound should even implement basic precautions for quarantine like bleach baths for shoes, etc...the Ranger could even contact rescue groups about surrenders without taking the pups into the pound at all....Duty of Care!

I know of one dog from Griffith Pound that was tested for parvo at the vets, test -ve, was given a C3 and then 3 days later was off its food, vomiting etc, yep parvo.

Its a pretty difficult feat to avoid Parvo anywhere in the Riverina at the moment - dogs everywhere are dropping like flies and any pound needs to have some protocols put in place to try to cut the contamination down - don't think anyone disagrees with that but it gets pretty tacky when you have to tell the world how great you are or defend what you believe to be the right thing by attacking other rescue group's policies - even when you feel you are under attack. .

If you have a point to make and I think you do - then stick to the topic handle it the way you see and feel you should and be prepared to defend your actions and stance but back off going after other groups and being so belligerent - it makes you and your group loose credibility. If you think they are taking shots at you going back at them wont help any of the dogs by having public wars among yourself.

Needless to say every part of this needs to be looked at - who and how they are being transported and basic protocols the groups have in place to try to keep their end of it held down to a less risk situation.

I coordinate rescue for three different rural pounds which have a very high percentage of boofers, staffy crosses and working dogs. I'm happy to say that there's been a 100% success rate with rescuing and rehoming all dogs from the pound including the 'ugly ones' and Needy Paws has not taken one. So judging by that I can say that rescues are able and willing to take these dogs but maybe were scared off Griffith by the behaviour of this rescue? This is not bad mouthing anyone just putting another spin on it.

I know of one dog from Griffith Pound that was tested for parvo at the vets, test -ve, was given a C3 and then 3 days later was off its food, vomiting etc, yep parvo.

I've had a rescue pup test positive for parvo within days of a C5 vaccination - it actually turned out that the pup had vaccinosis, and the MLV C5 gave us a false positive for parvo due to that.

As for putting protocols in place to reduce transmission - this should also extend to transport arrangements, etc...

T.

I coordinate rescue for three different rural pounds which have a very high percentage of boofers, staffy crosses and working dogs. I'm happy to say that there's been a 100% success rate with rescuing and rehoming all dogs from the pound including the 'ugly ones' and Needy Paws has not taken one. So judging by that I can say that rescues are able and willing to take these dogs but maybe were scared off Griffith by the behaviour of this rescue? This is not bad mouthing anyone just putting another spin on it.

Yep, it can work when everyone is on the same page.

And I'd have to state the obvious: when a rescuer spends two days navigating a long distance rescue and making room before they commit: then find the dog has been taken in a wholesale grabathon by someone who refuses to work with others, frankly after a few wasted attempts you just get fed up and go elsewhere.

Kenreb, I'd like to believe that you are just mislead instead of deliberately accepting the dogs in your pound be collateral damage in your agenda.

If you'd been around longer than 5 minutes and had a little humility you'd be able to see what a disaster you've created.

And now we have a pound who has effectively fallen off the map because you wanted monopoly.

Parvo apparently rife in the community and pound... so no ethical rescue will put dogs on private transport without quarantine. If you aren't offering local help so how do you propose anyone get dogs out? Don't blame others for dead dogs, from the outside.....this has been %100 your own doing.

But maybe they aren't supposed to get out, that would certainly give you leverage as the one and only griffith rescue.

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/1924123/dog-death-sentence/?cs=67

-

The cost of treating a parvo-infected dog, plus the service’s standard vaccination and desexing costs, is simply too much for Needy Paws to bear, with each infected dog carrying the burden of a $1000-plus vet bill.

$1000 buys a lot of parvac for a rescue and it's volunteers to work with council on an incoming dogs vaccine trial.

http://www.areanews.com.au/story/1924123/dog-death-sentence/?cs=67

-

The cost of treating a parvo-infected dog, plus the service’s standard vaccination and desexing costs, is simply too much for Needy Paws to bear, with each infected dog carrying the burden of a $1000-plus vet bill.

$1000 buys a lot of parvac for a rescue and it's volunteers to work with council on an incoming dogs vaccine trial.

Needy Paws does a lot of fundraising, apparently has tins all over town, you only have to look on their FB page at the appeals and the money that people do donate to NP, vacc's in Griffith is around $50 a dog, desexing is approx.$150 for the smalls, are you saying that NP are desexing and vaccination the dogs and they then come down with Parvo :eek: that actually equates that the dogs are not doing their 14 days quarantine but go straight in for their vet work, that is certainly how I read the statement above. :mad WTF or are you saying that they are desexed/vacc'd afterwards and then it is too expensive, well you would know when they are treated that you then have to pay for the rest of the vet work, you are committed to that dog once it gets through the parvo treatment, so what is your problem are you then having, like all of us use our own money oh!god forbid :mad

Maree

Edited by keetamouse

As someone who has had to pts an entire litter of 6 week old foster puppies due to parvo, it IS often kinder to pts than to try to treat pups so young. If you've ever seen a tiny pup treated for parvo, you'd completely understand the reason why many will pts rather than treat. Even if you DO treat a pup that young, the odds of permanent gut issues are high, not to mention a number of other permanent side effects of battling the disease at such a crucial stage of their physical development.

The cost to treat can also be debilitating when you are looking at an entire litter that will need to be on a drip and closely monitored for up to 2 weeks in isolation a vet clinic - and the survival rate of young unvaccinated pups is ridiculously low (about 10-20% depending on age, physical fitness, how early you caught the symptoms, etc). So you could put 6-8 pups through the trauma of bleeding to death internally, while you try to support them enough to try to heal themselves, and come away with MAYBE one survivor - or you could suck it up and do what is kindest for them all.

Seriously $1000 for a vet to treat one dog for parvo in clinic is actually cheap.

Rescue is not for the faint of heart - sometimes you have to make VERY hard decisions. We really cannot save them all... for many reasons...

T.

As someone who has had to pts an entire litter of 6 week old foster puppies due to parvo, it IS often kinder to pts than to try to treat pups so young. If you've ever seen a tiny pup treated for parvo, you'd completely understand the reason why many will pts rather than treat. Even if you DO treat a pup that young, the odds of permanent gut issues are high, not to mention a number of other permanent side effects of battling the disease at such a crucial stage of their physical development.

The cost to treat can also be debilitating when you are looking at an entire litter that will need to be on a drip and closely monitored for up to 2 weeks in isolation a vet clinic - and the survival rate of young unvaccinated pups is ridiculously low (about 10-20% depending on age, physical fitness, how early you caught the symptoms, etc). So you could put 6-8 pups through the trauma of bleeding to death internally, while you try to support them enough to try to heal themselves, and come away with MAYBE one survivor - or you could suck it up and do what is kindest for them all.

Seriously $1000 for a vet to treat one dog for parvo in clinic is actually cheap.

Rescue is not for the faint of heart - sometimes you have to make VERY hard decisions. We really cannot save them all... for many reasons...

T.

I agree and for those who have been doing rescue for many years comes experience, we have to be realistic as hard as it is, putting to sleep is extremely difficult but we all do it with the best interests for the dog as our top priority ie quality of life is paramount.

Maree

CPR