Malinosis Lovers

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Huski,

Have a Hassan Daughter as well, when I went up to see the litter in '08 they were an intense bunch!

Best of luck with the litter, hope you post updates on their progress.

Edited by Mal1

Hi Huski,

Have a Hassan Daughter as well, when I went up to see the litter in '08 they were intense bunch!

Best of luck with the litter, hope you post updates on their progress.

Ha ha yes they are quite something else! He is a pretty cool dog. We are really excited to see what this litter produces.

Thanks for your comments we will be sure to post a lot of updates. :)

yOu have a mal puppy? I thought you were a poodle person! Can I ask where she is from?

I own train/compete with ,, Standard Poodles

I also own & plan to do the same with my Malinois a big challenge, but IMHO, worth it.

She is just a baby at 5 months

I train ONLY with food & toys tug games etc She is responding wonderfully & I love her VERY much! I still train & adore my Standard Poodles. The Malinois has VERY high energy, as well as intense, play/tug/retrieve food, drives

I have trained her to reliably, under all circumstances, let go of a tug toy or anything else she has in her mouth, instantly. She does NOT bite or mouth people. All taught with calm, patience & well timed rewards or with holding of rewards. She is very polite in greeting people & other dogs

Not the dog for everyone, IMHO, Malinois would be wrong dog for anyone who loses temper, or is easily frustrated or who is not VERY active. Malinois needs experienced, calm, patient trainer, who has She is a real challenge & lots of fun for me at this point in my life. As you can see, I am besotted!

PLEASE SHARE. A baby Belgian Shepherd puppy, NORDENSTAMM ALVIRA, was very recently stolen, from her new owner's yard/home, when left unsupervised for an hour. STOLEN IN WOONONA/SYDNEY/WOOLONGONG AREA! I have attached a photo is of my ZARA which was taken at 6 weeks. Pup is similar looking . Pup is micro chipped - everyone please ask others to keep an eye out for anyone in the Sydney vicinity with a new Malinois pup, FEMALE, 8 weeks. Please give any info. to Alison Kollenberg, Nordenstaam Kennels

post-39698-0-64302900-1385858958_thumb.jpg

Without sounding as an alarmist, I am a bit concerned at they way some breeders of working Malinois are seemingly selling to anyone and on a few occasions I have seen surplus Mal pups coming out of pet shops and have also seen and tested a couple I would call environmentally unstable with too much sharp aggression for an average pet home to effectively manage. I feel much more comfort in the thought of Mals in the hands of people experienced in the ownership and training of working line GSD's as pre-requisite to owning a Mal, not to say that by any means a new Mal owners prepared to put the work in from puppyhood isn't going to work out, but seeing the performance of a well trained Mal and admiring their amazing capabilities isn't something that comes straight out the box without a lot of time and effort in training and handler control and I am hoping that Mals on "peoples must have one day" lists are fully understanding of their requirements and most importantly to source a good one or more to the point, to research and learn what a good one is in basic temperament.

I have seen all of this before with GSD's, Doberman, Rottweiler and Pitbulls in the hands of the irresponsible in management and breeding does cause me some concern where the Malinois is heading with it's increasing interest and popularity. I had a young guy ask me the other day when I would trade in my GSD for a real working dog a Malinois, if I could handle a proper fighting machine telling me his next dog will be a Mal.......he had a sweet Staffy X girl he reckoned was a Pitbull.....the mind boggles at the thought of an idiot like this with a Mal?

I agree amax now everyone wants one as theyre the new fashion. Bad nerve and inability to hold the drive is also something ive seen and wont touch in my own dogs. My pups wont be going to private buyers as theyre not lines i would hand over to just anyone due to the temperament and potential.

Amax-1 with a mind set like that the young guy is really missing out on the potential that a working dog can bring.

A Malinois is suitable for many roles: SAR, mine detection, obedience, tracking etc.

No denying their a lot of work (more then a pet home would be willing to do) but if your dedicated you will be well rewarded.

I don't think you need to be a super experienced handler to be the right handler for a Mal. I've seen experienced handlers struggle horribly with Mals. They aren't for the average owner but I don't think having another working line breed needs to be a pre requisite for owning a Mal nor does it guarentee you will make an ideal owner.

Before I had Wisdom I had only ever handled a beagle and I do alright :) more than experience IMO you need the right guidance and attitude.

Edited by huski

Before I had Wisdom I had only ever handled a beagle and I do alright :) more than experience IMO you need the right guidance and attitude.

I think it's a little different when you're right under the nose of a dog trainer :laugh:

A Malinois is suitable for many roles: SAR, mine detection, obedience, tracking etc.

Very good dual purpose as well, I've noticed you can teach them a couple of things with a high training load and they cope fine with it. I've got a rescue we've turned into a SAR, she ground scents as well as trails which is awesome.

I think it's a little different when you're right under the nose of a dog trainer :laugh:

I get no more guidance with Wiz than our clients do with their dogs or our potential puppy buyers will get with their pups. People would be shocked at how little time we have to spend training our own dogs. I would be lucky to spend half an hour a month with Steve training Wiz if that, I should start paying for lessons then we will actually spare up some time!

At the end of the day all of that makes no difference if you don't have the right attitude or willingness to learn and commit to raising the dog the right way

ETA: I don't think mals are for everyone (far from it) but I don't agree you need to be a pro trainer to do well handling one either. I think ruling out anyone other than professional trainers or super experienced handlers could rule out some great owners.

Edited by huski

I don't think you need to be a super experienced handler to be the right handler for a Mal. I've seen experienced handlers struggle horribly with Mals. They aren't for the average owner but I don't think having another working line breed needs to be a pre requisite for owning a Mal nor does it guarentee you will make an ideal owner.

I have never had a working line GSD returned from experienced handlers, but I have had several from owners new to the breed struggling to cap their drives and for the most part, the GSD is easier to handle than a Mal but of course it depends on the individual dog's character and the determination of the owner to train the dog efficiently too. Personally, I wouldn't sell a working GSD or a Mal to just anyone unless I was comfortable with their ability to raise the dog responsibly as they can get out of control fairly quickly if allowed to through adolescence I have experienced.

ETA: I don't think mals are for everyone (far from it) but I don't agree you need to be a pro trainer to do well handling one either. I think ruling out anyone other than professional trainers or super experienced handlers could rule out some great owners.

I wouldn't go as far as to rule anyone out on experience as I too have had some great new owners, but if new owners to the breed don't understand the level of commitment or they tire of the commitment is where the problems have been with retuned dogs around the 10 to 16 month old bracket and wished that I had of homed the puppies more diligently.

Edited by Amax-1