be bad for dogs he is regualrly using advantage & frontline co currently

we are introducing him to table scraps he is know 4 months old

the staffys that are itchy is it food related or garden /pollen

also what could l use to put on his scabs in his armpits to soothe & heal

l would like to lean towards holistic products if possible but will do what is

best for jax

he is from a byb so should of known better but he is a gorgeous happy puppy

otherwise very loyal & obedient

is not at a cricital stage but l want to get control of it before it becomes a real

problem

Even purebreed Stafford suffer from allergies so it would be impossible to know whether it is his breeding or not.

Staffords are known for developing skin problems.

I use a mixture of chinese herbs for Tex which I get from the vet and they work wonders.

Have you visited your vet yet?

Guest Lobo's Cheeky Chops

I feel for you !

My 2y.o. staffy Lobo (see avatar) has ongoing problems with itchy skin :crazy:

Sometimes we can find the cause of the itchiness (e.g. friend's backyard has wandering jew), but sometimes it remains a mystery.

A favourite hotspot is in the armpits

Might be a good idea to check with your vet first just to make sure it isn't infected. The regime below is only good for non-infected skin irrits/rashes.

Unfortunately, I don't have any herbal remedy advice, but this is the regime initially recommended by my vet and i've stuck to it 'cause it works ...

- rinse the affected area with dilute chlorhexidine (follow dilution method on the bottle), but I guess any kind of antiseptic will work fine.

- apply Ilium Neocort (which is a cream antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream) to the affected spot

- Repeat twice a day (I do morning and night) If it doesn't clear up in 5 days, its off to the vets.

This has worked for me the 4 times in 2 years that Lobo's had a bad rash.

I generally catch it early enough and then cleaning a red spot or 2 with antiseptic (e.g. Chlorhex) works well. :mad

Best of luck with that wonderful staffy skin :rofl:

Oh BTW - I use cottonballs to gently clean the affected area with cottonballs. Then I dry the area before I apply the cream (you only need a little bit).

It takes a little while and a bit of soaking to clean the area properly initially, but once the scabs are off and you are using the cream, it usually heals up well within the 5 days :laugh:

Edited by Lobo's Cheeky Chops

had a brief chat with the vet at his second vacc he said that it may be the shampoo but we use the aloveen so l don't think that would be it & he gave the other half another shampoo to try

l will be going with them for the 3rd vacc so will be grilling the vet then

thanks for the reply

he is a red tan with very little white

our grey hound is mostly white & has no problems with his skin

regards debb

It seriously is something to do with the breed unfortunately. And different dogs react differently to different things. It is best to discuss with you vet as he can see the dog and the problem.

I make sure that my two get good clean food - this helps with allergies. And have figured out over the last year what triggers it and things like that. Like I know beginning of summer they are bad!

Maybe start a diary and see if over the next few months - something sticks out?

Edited by Ci

best of luck :mad

can't wait to see some more staffy smiles :laugh:

- when you look at their smiles, you can't help but smile too, hey ! :crazy:

take care from

Vanessa & Lobo

post-22-1113976139.jpg

Ollie used to have itchy bits a long time ago before I started using Malaseb shampoo and changed his diet to fresh meat (cooked cause he is fussy) and veges. He is washed weekly or fortnightly (whenever he needs it) and we have not had a problem since...

Hope your little one is feeling better soon...

Jodie

hey lobo

I agree switching to a less refined diet helps with skin problems. the natural fats and oils in the meat helps with skin dryness and since there is no additives there is less chance for allergies (unless were talking about plants :) )

we used Malaseb on mums pomeranian who had horrible itchy skin and it really did the trick, but it did require fairly regular use. Definately worth the money :(

Chamomile tea cooled down and poured over the dog as a rinse can calm itchy skin, especially if you're not in the mood to give the dog a good wash. It can also sooth hot skin and has some antibacterial properties (well thats the old wives tale behind it) my baba used it on our pets when we were young, especially as a weakly made weepy eye rinse and on scratches because it didnt dry the wound too quickly. Of course it could just be the rinsing but hey, we didnt have too many puss-y pets running about :D

Hey Koza :D

I've seen Ilium Neocort at a big pet warehouse in Gosford.

... but if you can't find it in a pet shop,

you should be able to get it over the counter at your vets

:(

I noticed, often you read about some problem - and the next day you have it, too! :(

Solly managed to lick off all skin just above the tail. And he is on Frontline, I didn't see any fleas. Will try that cream and t-shirt, may be.

I am assuming that Jaz is a growing pup..the vet should be able to do a skin scraping to rule out demodex.

The bullie breeds are often zinc deficient..so zinc supplementation may be of assistance.

Adding omega oild to his meals..sardines 2 -3 time per week can help.

to decrease itching: bathe in luke warm water, you can rinse him after his usual bath with water and organic apple cider vinegar.

I would change his diet...often these dogs can be sensitive to grains and home prepared meals can avoid this.