Infiltrative Lipomas

Rebanne

Fern has been diagnosed with this in her multifidus muscle, right next to her spine. Surgery is not an option as they will be unable to get clear margins, cells would be left behind which would spread. She has had an MRI and muscle biopsy. The MRI shows it is tracking to her spine. Fern also has a separate disk problem lower down, near her tail and has been on crate rest for this. At this point in time I am thinking the lipoma is her worst problem, google says it is highly invasive and the worry is it will get into her spine. I can't find anything that says how quick it is to spread. I'll shoot an email oof to the treating vet to ask but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone here has any experiences with this?

I have no idea if this is what Ivy had but she had lipomas removed October 2012 and she had quite a lot taken out.

They grew back in the same place within a few months but no where as major as the first time. They don't seem to be growing at all.

I don't plan on having these removed anytime soon but may in the future.

Sorry, I have no experience whatsoever with this condition. However, fwiw, I just want to say that she's lucky to have you. You have a great fighting spirit and she's lucky to have you on her side.

Boof has quite a large lipoma in what would be considered his armpit if he was human. I understand it is harmless though. I've never heard of an infiltrative lipoma.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks I hadn't heard of them either. It's a nasty piece of work, benign but dangerous cause they infiltrate to places they shouldn't. Not like the normal lipoma at all really. Best way I can describe it to myself is it's like the marbling in beef, fatty streaks all through the muscle but it doesn't stay there.

I was in a bit of a flap when I first posted, couldn't see the wood for the trees, but had a long chat to the vet the next day and have come to terms with it. One step at a time.

Great to hear you have a plan with how to move forward. I think Boof's vet thinks his lipoma is the last of his worries given his propensity to develop MCTs. It's quite large though and aside from a needle biopsy, he's not suggested any other testing. I thought it was a gland as it's about the size of a small golf ball and appeared quote suddenly. It isn't growing though.

How did you discover Fern's?

Great to hear you have a plan with how to move forward. I think Boof's vet thinks his lipoma is the last of his worries given his propensity to develop MCTs. It's quite large though and aside from a needle biopsy, he's not suggested any other testing. I thought it was a gland as it's about the size of a small golf ball and appeared quote suddenly. It isn't growing though.

How did you discover Fern's?

Fern has had ongoing back troubles for some time, xrays were clear, so I had an MRI done at Werribee Vet Hospital ( Uni of Melbourne ), they did a contrast and the area lit up like a Christmas tree. It is very uncommon. Needle aspirate was inconclusive so they then did a muscle biopsy. Found her disk problem at the same time. So it's just a wait and see and I was trying to find out how quick it might move cause if the crate rest doesn't help with the disk problem then that will need surgery but I don't want to do surgery if the lipoma will invade the spine any time soon. Don't think that would be fair to Fern. So I am hoping the enforced rest will fix the disk for a long time to come and the lipoma is very slow spreading, it could have been there for a long time already.