Boundry Shock Collars

flame ryder

You know...the collars that zap the dog if it goes outside the boundary area. I dunno why people keep saying it's illegal, I'm pretty sure it isn't there are those out there who insist it's cruel and illegal.

Does anyone know if it actually is illegal in SA?

Edited by teela

A quick read of the Act and Regs would indicate using an invisible fence to restrain dogs in SA is not permitted although it appears you may apply for an extemption/approval.

Edited by Ams

According to the hidden fence disclaimer

South Australia:

Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 1985 – 2000 Amendments. A person must not place on an animal a collar designed to impart an electrics shock.

So the law has been in effect [or amended] for at least 13 years

Zap collars not allowed for invisible fences or anything else in SA.

but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted and I do know a few people who have successfully used them in SA to train their dogs to stay on property - to the point the dogs no longer wear the collars.

So I guess people keep saying it's illegal because it is.

Yeah I found when doing the research that many people including police - do not know the rules in SA on this. Even the people who answer the phone at the RSPCA seem uncertain.

But it is in the current law as previously posted

These are the 2012 Animal Welfare Regulations

http://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/lz/c/r/animal%20welfare%20regulations%202012/current/2012.187.un.pdf

Page 6

8Use of certain other electrical devices

(1) For the purposes of section 15 of the Act, a person must not

(a) place on an animal a collar designed to impart an electric shock;

So mostly law enforcement turn a blind eye - especially for invisible fences where the shock is tiny, and easily avoided by the dog, and helps save a dog's life.

I would not be drawing attention to use of the device in South Australia if I was the OP. Just in case.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

out of curiosity, did the OP mean hidden fence, or the GPS controlled perimeter collars?

I realize the post was about legality, and both are probably illegal. But they are quite different.

The GPS units are designed to provide a mild stimulation when the dog nears the boundary and a shock when they hit the boundary. They have a couple advantages. You can easily move them, eg., use them when you go camping; they allow you to tell where your dog is if it goes outside the boundary, and, unlike invisible fence, they don't shock the dog when it comes back inside its boundary. Disadvantage . . . they require training.