Questionnaires For Potential Buyers

Chloegirl

I am expecting my my first litter in a couple of weeks, and really like the idea of having a questionnaire for buyers to complete to find the best homes for our puppies. I was wondering, what are some of the questions you ask to help sort out the good from the bad?

Thanks

It may help but some people are very good at giving you the answers you want to see. Especially if they have been knocked back by a few other people. I don't have one but some things I ask potential owners are

Have you had a poodle before.

Grooming knowledge & what they think are requirements.

How long did it live, if they say it is deceased now.

What other animals do you have.

Children & ages.

Will your dog be an inside dog.

Do you work.

I don't fire these off as a barrage of questions but more slowly find out in the course of conversation as a matter of interest when chatting.

More likely to get honest answers. For example

Q do you have other animals.

A yes I have a little boy poodle

Q oh so you want a girl to breed then

A no, not really but some puppies like my cute little whatever his name would be so nice & I have friends & family that want them :eek:

Reply so you won't be interested in my puppies then because they are desexed before they leave home.

They always say no thanks.

Most enquiries I get are from people who have already got or have had a poodle before.

For the few that haven't I tell them about them & go from there on suitability.

It can be upsetting & worrying but you do meet some great owners & follow on & photos always set your mind at ease & make you smile again.

Be ready to cry when the last one leaves.

Edited by Christina

Agree with Christina a questionnaire may only show the people who have figured out the 'right' answers. Not saying the questionnaire would be more than a first screening point though :-) I have always had more success with a general conversation filled with gentle questions and being quiet long enough to encourage people to simply talk rather than answering my questions.

I do a questionnaire and find it a good basis for further conversations but the most important question on it is have you had pets previously and what happened to them. You would be very surprised what they tell you and it gives you a very clear picture of the priority a dog has in their lives

I have a list of things I want to know that I tick off as I speak with people . For me questionnaires are impersonal and it gives someone who wants to tell fibs time to think about it ,makes them feel Im in a more powerful position than they are and thats not want I want my puppy buyers to feel. No one Im speaking to knows Im doing any more than chatting about me, them, their family , the dogs and the breed and I let the conversation flow so I get a feel for the idiot factor if it shows and their lifestyle etc and put a tick or a cross on the big ticket things I want to know before I tell them I have a puppy which may suit them. If I have a puppy that I think wont suit them or if I think they need to re think their breed choice I explain why and offer them help into the future even if they buy a puppy elsewhere.

I agree with Steve and Sandra. Questionnaires are impersonal and can appear as a barrier between breeder and puppy buyer. There are already too much SMS, text or the opportunity to hide behind an email. A questionnaire also gives the opportunity for a puppy buyer to research their answer and provide an answer you may want to hear.

I would rather screen people by talking to them. Those that are serious will make a number of contacts and during these you can find out whether they would be suitable or not.

You can gauge by their voice and answers whether they are thinking of a suitable answer or whether they are answering honestly and up front. Most of my pups have been sold by the time they are 6 weeks and I have never had pups after 8 weeks.

There are enough posts on here about what to put into a questionnaire, what answers to give breeders and what questions to ask puppy buyers.

Thanks so much everyone, I have decided on a list of questions to incorporate into my conversation with them. I would feel a lot better if I talk to them on the phone anyway I think, so I will insist that anyone who emails me calls me if they are interested. I don't think that's too much to ask of someone!

Thanks so much everyone, I have decided on a list of questions to incorporate into my conversation with them. I would feel a lot better if I talk to them on the phone anyway I think, so I will insist that anyone who emails me calls me if they are interested. I don't think that's too much to ask of someone!

That's what works best for me and no one would ever get a puppy from me without a lengthy conversation or three or four regardless of what they say in an email or questionnaire.

By the way this is what I recommend to those looking for puppies too - get the breeder talking - listen to how they feel about their dogs, how they house them and what their philosophies are etc get a feel for whether they think they can feel comfortable going to them into the future for help and advice and whether they think the breeder is savvy enough about dogs and their breed to be the person they feel is most qualified to help them if they have questions etc.

That's great news, as with everything you are guided and do your own research the q and A is just the basics, if that comes out as you like, one goes from there, I have many steps as I am a known Fuss pot ( and make no apologies for it!) but I find if people cant be bothered filling them in, that's enough to say they cant be bothered with the work I expect to be put into dogs I place. Good Luck with your venture.

We'll I have already received 2 emails today, just gave them basic info such as prices and then said if interested to call me. Both did, and I was on the phone to each for about 1/2 hour , got in all the questions I felt were important and got a great feel for what they were like and what sort of home 2 puppies will be going to!

We'll I have already received 2 emails today, just gave them basic info such as prices and then said if interested to call me. Both did, and I was on the phone to each for about 1/2 hour , got in all the questions I felt were important and got a great feel for what they were like and what sort of home 2 puppies will be going to!

thumbsup1.gif Its good fun too isnt it?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like your off to a good start.... as a new breeder you will find you will learn a great deal about people from conducting these interviews.

I was in Personnel for years.... people filled out their forms and i would walk to the waiting room and meet people and walk back to my office for interview, however I learnt more about the people walking to and from the office as it gave me the chance to learn things we were not allowed to put on the form.... people relax and tell you more about themselves than they realise.

Some advise: Don't be too judgemental - the fact someone works full time - has young kids - has a small yard - lives in rental accomodation...... doesnt matter really, as you can ask how they plan to work around these issues.... A lot of what you hope to suss out is what is their long term picture they see about a dog.... remind them they are buying the adult version not the cute puppy they come to visit.

I love having people come to visit even prior to pups being born or when the pups are just a week old.... they then focus on the adult dogs and I can see how they interact.... we have a cuppa and a chat.... It is really good to see how people have planned out mentally for their dog.....

Just remember if you feel uncomfortable with them don't be talked into selling a pup - you might have to deal with them down the line and you want to feel good about talking to them. My biggest hate is when I think someone is telling me lies.

FINALLY - At all times suggest that people go home and think about things overnight at least... this gives YOU a chance to mull over the visit before you agree to sell them a pup.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like your off to a good start.... as a new breeder you will find you will learn a great deal about people from conducting these interviews.

I was in Personnel for years.... people filled out their forms and i would walk to the waiting room and meet people and walk back to my office for interview, however I learnt more about the people walking to and from the office as it gave me the chance to learn things we were not allowed to put on the form.... people relax and tell you more about themselves than they realise.

Some advise: Don't be too judgemental - the fact someone works full time - has young kids - has a small yard - lives in rental accomodation...... doesnt matter really, as you can ask how they plan to work around these issues.... A lot of what you hope to suss out is what is their long term picture they see about a dog.... remind them they are buying the adult version not the cute puppy they come to visit.

I love having people come to visit even prior to pups being born or when the pups are just a week old.... they then focus on the adult dogs and I can see how they interact.... we have a cuppa and a chat.... It is really good to see how people have planned out mentally for their dog.....

Just remember if you feel uncomfortable with them don't be talked into selling a pup - you might have to deal with them down the line and you want to feel good about talking to them. My biggest hate is when I think someone is telling me lies.

FINALLY - At all times suggest that people go home and think about things overnight at least... this gives YOU a chance to mull over the visit before you agree to sell them a pup.

Great Advice. I tell puppy buyers as well to go and see the breeder and meet their dogs. Or even if the litter is sold already, also ask to see mum (and dad if possible) and pups. This way you can view the interaction between mum/pups and breeder and see if that is what they want. Web pages may look big and flash, and sadly the real thing can be sorely missing the gloss. It also takes away the pressure you may have to put a deposit down now for a puppy - even if it does not suit your situation. And some people (me included) are useless at filling out forms. I prefer to talk to someone than hand them a form of predetermined questions - especially if there is only multiple choice involved.

It allows the breeder to assess how you interact with their dogs.

Ultimately, your puppy buyers and you need to feel comfortable with each other as Alpha bet has said - if there are issues down the track. If there are some things that are not right, don't go through with it. I say this same thing to puppy buyers. They need to feel comfortable with the breeder as well.