New Bag, Same Food Still Gets Diarrhea

dididog

I've been feeding my puppy Advance Puppy large breed and to start of with her stool was fine but then when we ran out and bought a new bag she got pretty bad diarrhea for about 3 days and the only thing that changed in her diet was the new bag. I also noticed that despite it being exactly the same the kibble in the new bag was smaller in shape and lighter in colour? We just bought a 18kg bag which will last us over a month (the 3kg only lasted a bit over a week) but she again has gotten diarrhea even though the kibble from the 18kg bag is the same as the previous one (smaller, lighter colour). Has this happened to anybody else (for any brand not just Advance) or is my pup just super sensitive? It strikes me as very odd for there to be large discrepancies within the same type of food. To be on the safe side I will buy the next bag a bit early and feed her a mix of the current bag and the new bag to ease her in... picking diarrhea up out of grass is possibly my least favourite thing to do :laugh:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is she sick in any other way? Vomiting? Listless? Tender belly? Quite a lot of people blame the food but the puppy has a bug of some kind. I would take her to the vet to be sure. Is she vaccinated?

Edited by mixeduppup

Is she sick in any other way? Vomiting? Listless? Tender belly? Quite a lot of people blame the food but the puppy has a bug of some kind. I would take her to the vet to be sure. Is she vaccinated?

I probably should've mentioned that! She is up to date vaccinated and wormed, definitely her usual energetic puppy self... I was contemplating taking her to the vet but the diarrhea was the only symptom and both times has occurred directly after buying a new bag of food.

So is it constant diarrhea or just after eating the first one or two bowls?

The first day is diarrhea but not very bad and then day 2 and 3 her stool is just very loose. Goes back to normal day 4 or 5. Her bowel movements are still relatively on schedule except she does have to go during the night which she normally doesn't do

If I was you I'd wean her onto a new consistent dog food altogether.

I'm a bit apprehensive to change her diet since she's doing well on this one but I will bring it up with my vet next week when she gets her last vaccination.

I'm a bit apprehensive to change her diet since she's doing well on this one but I will bring it up with my vet next week when she gets her last vaccination.

I wouldn't consider diarrhea to be "doing well" though

Sometimes dogs, and especially pups, can have some tummy problems occur when they start on a new 'batch' of the same food. Lower quality food doesn't have the consistency of ingredients between batches. I tend to agree with PuddleDuck about contacting Advance about it; it may have been that they sourced the ingredients from somewhere else or even that they were contaminated. If it's the latter, they need to know about it!

Well its hardly diarrhea in the uncontrollable liquid mess sense, just 2 or 3 days of loose stool. She's a giant breed puppy so im not going to try and mess around with her food without advice from the vet. She's doing well on it as in growing.at a healthy rate, isn't gassy, has a nice shiny coat and apart from the transitions between bags her stools are firm and not too smelly.

Sometimes dogs, and especially pups, can have some tummy problems occur when they start on a new 'batch' of the same food. Lower quality food doesn't have the consistency of ingredients between batches. I tend to agree with PuddleDuck about contacting Advance about it; it may have been that they sourced the ingredients from somewhere else or even that they were contaminated. If it's the latter, they need to know about it!

I still have the bag from the weird batch so I'll get in touch with Advance soon about it!

Well its hardly diarrhea in the uncontrollable liquid mess sense, just 2 or 3 days of loose stool. She's a giant breed puppy so im not going to try and mess around with her food without advice from the vet. She's doing well on it as in growing.at a healthy rate, isn't gassy, has a nice shiny coat and apart from the transitions between bags her stools are firm and not too smelly.

You said diarrhea in the post, I imagined complete liquid not just loose stools. Either way you should mention it to the vet and the supplier. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Often my dogs have trouble processing the last meal or two out of a bag, especially a big bag. I think it's the crumbs at the bottom being too rich.

Then again, I'm not sure Advance is the greatest food for a giant puppy so maybe ask in the relevant breed forum?

Often my dogs have trouble processing the last meal or two out of a bag, especially a big bag. I think it's the crumbs at the bottom being too rich.

Then again, I'm not sure Advance is the greatest food for a giant puppy so maybe ask in the relevant breed forum?

It was what she was being fed and the Vet seemed fine with it but I also don't want to keep her on Advance permanently but will keep feeding it to her till I find something else... maybe I'll have a poke around the forums, I just am a bit wary as there tends to be a lot of conflicting views and opinions when it comes to food.

You said diarrhea in the post, I imagined complete liquid not just loose stools. Either way you should mention it to the vet and the supplier. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm sorry I probably should have been a bit more specific, the first day is mild diarrhea and then begins to firm up hence why haven't taken her to the vet but I don't think I will feed her Advance after this bag runs out.. I thought the first bad transition was a coincidence but after it happening again I'm not too impressed.

I would pop into the Great Dane thread in the breed sub-forum and ask there or have a read and see if it has already been discussed.

I think i remember a thread in the Health forum on food for growing giant breeds too.

I would pop into the Great Dane thread in the breed sub-forum and ask there or have a read and see if it has already been discussed.

I think i remember a thread in the Health forum on food for growing giant breeds too.

Thanks for that, I might check that out now!

Advance is not widely fed for Dane puppies. There is some breeders who use it.

You see a lot more on Eukanuba, Pro. Plan, Eagle Pack etc

With the bag you have - Advance will have a palatibility guarantee so you can just return it to the place you got it and get a refund or new bag. However first, I would ring the phone number for customer service on the bag and discuss it with them.

As for diet advice generally for Danes - I recommend you head to Great Dane Rescue and Rehoming website and download the user guide there for everything you need to know about Dane diets and now to grow them slowly and properly as you only get on chance at it!