New Bag, Same Food Still Gets Diarrhea

dididog

Photos here... http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/254706-shamelessly-showing-off-pup/

Very pretty puppy!

I pretty much feed all of my dogs to condition.

For example: Pickles weighs 14kg, yet is fed an amount comensurate with a 28kg dog... purely becuse she expends a lot more energy getting about due to her disability.

Harper eats as much as a 35kg dog, even though she is only 28kg - she is technically still a puppy and looks just right being fed that much.

Trouble is 25kgs, and eats the correct amount for her weight... a friend asked me what breed she was the other day, and was shocked to hear me say "Labrador" - he then said she couldn't be a Labrador because she wasn't fat! (He has a 41kg grossly overweight and arthritic Labrador himself - used to have 2 of them)

Zeddy is around 28kgs, and gets fed as a 25kg dog - she's older and not as quick to get around as the younger dogs, so doesn't need as much to keep her trim. It's better for her arthritis to be "on condition" - and I dare anyone to pick her age to be the 14 years she reached last August...

Hey tdierikx, can I ask with your Harper, Trouble & Zeddy how much you feed them in volume? My 2 Wheatons should be around 27/28kg (they're tall) but are 32kg. I feed them 1 cup of kibble (250gm) mixed with 200gms of mince beef each, once a day and a cow ear each for late night snacks. Some days they'll just get 500gms of chicken necks each, nothing else. Walked 7km most days.

Sorry to hijack the thread :o

T.

Edited by wire

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wire - 2 cups of Supercoat kibble for Pickles, Trouble, and Zeddy each - 3 cups for Harper... sometimes they get raw stuff or treats, but not often.

T.

Thanks for that :)

2 cups is around 500gms so I'm feeding around the same but my guys are definitely overweight. Think I'll swap the beef mince over to roo meat 3 days a week and see if that makes any difference. Ta.

Terri - your pup is gorgeous !

Edited by wire

Thanks everyone for the advice on feeding, due to the uncertainty of her final size I have just been feeding her what I think she needs. She was pretty skinny when she got here (pups weren't fed separately so don't think she was getting her fair share) so I fed her generously and then when she started leaving food in her bowl I began to scale back and am now feeding her less because she also gets meaty, fatty bones every day or so. I think she's in good condition but am worried of her starting to lean to the chunky side rather than the lean side....

Here's a photo of her body (not the best but she's a fidget), do you think she's ideal or should I scale her food back a bit more? We have a small yard so she doesn't get heaps of exercise unless we go to the golf course for a run around or the beach for a swim because even though I take her for short walks now and then I'd rather her do free exercise on soft terrain for the sake of her joints.

DSCN2290_zpsf4607bc5.jpg

I think she looks lovely... look at that shiny coat!

I'd not let her put on any more condition than she's currently carrying... and if you want her a little leaner, that won't hurt her either.

She's certainly not what I'd call fat... not by a long shot... especially for a pup - they can fluctuate weights over hours...

T.