Weight Management

A friend of mine has a Yorkshire Terrier girl who will not put on any weight, even though she eats well and would eat all the other Yorkies' food if she could. Has anybody got any ideas about how to get some more weight on her. She has been wormed.

Edited by Furkidsforever

After being cleared by a full vet check up if it is just a high metabolism she could try something like satin balls and maybe look at whether the food she is currently using suits that particular dog. My kelpie could eat anything and be fine but I once bought supercoat to feed my girls for a week until I could get their regular food and the weight just fell off my basset and she looked dreadful, many others happily feed supercoat to their dogs and their dogs do well on it. Now I'm feeding her Blackhawk and she look brilliant on it but others have had trouble

I too what like to know what is being considered as being under-weight. If the dog is healthy, energetic, doing well, etc. and is not so thin in complete disproportionate food portions -vs- energy, I prefer lean to fat. So if she's not too bad in terms of condition and she's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Some just never do.

First i would looking at what is feed * how much is feed.

Age of dog

activity level

Is it skinny or is it long in loin which makes it look skinny

Then consider a vet visit maybe

Have seen the vet - no obvious problems. Age 15 months. Happy active dog, but not over-active.

Her ribs can be felt. She has quite a square conformation - not overlong in the loin. She has a mixture of food, chicken, MyDog, vegies, dry food - the same proportion as the rest of the Yorkies this person has.

Edited by Furkidsforever

She may need something simple like no vegies and more chicken with skin/fat on ..or more dry ..

a 'vetcheck' without bloodwork/urine tests can not find any internal probs ....

However, it may be that she just needs slightly different food ... it is also hard to determine on this side of teh screen how skinny she is .

She may be what I consider to be perfect .. ( being able to feel ribs is usually a good thing ) or she may be gaunt .. we cannot tell from your description ;)

Edited by persephone

You say the ribs can be felt but can they be seen? My basset is slimmer than most show people keep their bassets but I do a lot of exercise with her and she is not skinny, just lean and I like her lean because I like to exercise her at a higher rate than many others might. I don't see her weight as a problem, in fact every vet we've seen has commented on her great condition. A lot of people see normal, healthy dogs as skinny so I'd want to be sure it wasn't simply a young, healthy lean dog

Some of the tiny breeds can be very lightweight. Probably healthier than being the opposite. She would only need a small amount of food & small breeds often don't do well with too much fatty stuff.

I would cut the vegetables a little & replace with a tablespoon of Farex baby food for 2 weeks & see if it makes any difference. Its good for fattening up pups & kittens quickly when needed.

If dog is healthy, acts normal, eats etc I can't see the problem really.

The problem with most people is that their dogs are overweight and the owners seem to think they're in good condition. I too like a lean dog. Me thinks a better situation all round.

DOL needs a "like" button.