When To Take Newborn Pups To Vet?

Chloegirl

Get them to run around on concrete if you have some at your house like I do. My 7, 7 week old amstaff puppies have been outside daily for a fortnight, playing and running all over it. Their nails are trimmed naturally and no need to maintain them. Let the concrete do the work.

good idea, but this was about DEWCLAW REMOVAL ( as in total surgical removal of that little 'thumb'-bone & all ) , not normal toenail trimming ;)

I feel your pain!

Prior to the birth of my puppies I asked the vet about dewclaw removal. I was told no they didn't so it as it was unethical and placed it up there with docking and debarking - which is a whole different debate!!!!

Anyway, I thought long and hard about if I should remove them or not. Both my adults have theirs removed. I considered getting the breeder of one of my adults to come down, do the babies and show me but at a plane ticket of over $600 it wasn't really a viable option.

I thougth long and hard and decided I did want to remove tham after having Whippets in the kennels with their dewcalws left ona dn hearing the stories of injury from their owners and others. My breeder sent me some photos and description of how she did them. I did them at two days of age from memory. She sent me the correct scissors, I had the Condy's and it was all systems go.

To say I wasn't worried would be a lie, I was shitting myself, but I figured if you are going to do something you need to go in with confidence and just do it, so I did! I sat in my whelping box, puppies where all lined up feeding from mum. I grabbed a pup, cleaned the area with antiseptic wipes - they yelled at bit at being pulled off the boob - snip and dob(condy's), snip and dob, baby back on boob - no squeaking at all. I think I held my breathe during the first one but it was done very quickly, bubs didn't care, bitch didn't care and straight back on the boob. all done and dusting in under 10 minutes. All of them have minimal scarring and no issues with regrowth. I would now happily do my own babies again.