Malaseb For Yeasty Ears

teekay

For yeast, my vet recommended vinegar, any sort, diluted 50% with water. The goal is to change pH and make the environment unfavorable for yeast...just as with the traditional vinegar douche bag.

I don't use a dropper. I get a make-up pad soaking wet with vinegar and rub it around. Some drops go down the ear canal. The pad cleans up ear gunk. And the dogs think they are getting their ears rubbed. (They used to run and hide when they saw the epiotic come out.

Ouch, if the ear canals are already irritated.

I like bland, non-stringent, but effective.

"Ear Clear" by Natural Solutions is good. Best thing that worked for my boy, who doesn't have the troubles with his ears that he used to (*touch wood*). I use it now on a make-up removal pad and wipe around the parts of the ear I can see. Soothing, natural components. Deals with yeast and mites.

For yeast, my vet recommended vinegar, any sort, diluted 50% with water. The goal is to change pH and make the environment unfavorable for yeast...just as with the traditional vinegar douche bag.

I don't use a dropper. I get a make-up pad soaking wet with vinegar and rub it around. Some drops go down the ear canal. The pad cleans up ear gunk. And the dogs think they are getting their ears rubbed. (They used to run and hide when they saw the epiotic come out.

That's a good idea, thanks (using the make-up pad). My Pug runs away when he sees the Epi-Otic.

Well, I'm happy to report Jenna's ear is looking soooooooo much better. It is now a nice pale pink colour and the smell is almost gone. I'm not sure what I'm aiming for with the smell though. Should there be no smell at all? I'm pretty sure they smelt a little bit before this all started :confused:

I am going to continue with the inner health plus and yogurt daily for a week or so then probably reduce to a couple of times a week or maybe just once a week and see how we go. With regard to the Malaseb ear washes I was thinking of backing off to every two days for a week or so then back off again to once a week for a couple of weeks then leave it entirely and keep a close watch on her ears.

I was considering giving her a complete bath with the Malaseb. She isn't scratching at all but there are quite a few tufts of fur coming off her. Not sure if this is a skin issue or just shedding because of the warm weather, but I don't ever remember her losing fur this way before. Problem is getting her dry in these humid conditions :mad

Or I could just give her a Calendula Tea rinse but again we have the getting her dry problem . Grrrrrr. I hate summer

The ear canal itself further down usually doesn't need to be flushed as often as you have to clean with an outer ear infection. My cure all for red, bad, manky ears is the sea mineral dermal ointment (I think virbac make it) just wipe up the gunk with a soft moist tissue/gauze and give it a good coating with it. OK day one it burns a bit but it clears it up quickly due to the salt content. The other option is Paw Paw ointment on the red skin (never push anything down the ear) as it's a fermented product. Both products worked a treat on my Rottweiler and Pug.

• 1 month later...

Bumped the thread for some advice on 'ears'.

16 week old Vizsla has his C5 today. Vey said his outer ears are 'dirty'. He scratches them from time to time.

Vet checked down the ear canal. All is OK.

Would it be reasonable to use the Natural Animal Solutions rather than Malaseb diluted or the 'softer' alternatives?

Trying to avoid harsh chemicals.

Yes, I am aware of poking around with ear canals etc & getting Vet advice on red nasty ear canals. At the moment this appears to be under the heading of general maintence.

:)

Edited by VizslaMomma

VizslaMomma - the Vet has checked and confirmed no hidden issues. I would simply use Calendula Tea as something to wipe out the part of the ear you can see, just from time to time and only as necessary. If the ears are clean and there is no major itching issue, IMO there's no need to engage routine cleansing procedures. A bit of "don't fix something that ain't broke". Just check your dog's ears - THAT's the "general maintenance" routine part :) .

I don't like anything that is stringent in ANY form and if I can get away by using something more 'benign' yet effective, I will. Start little, unless the situation is such dire straights that there is a 'life' emergency. Doesn't mean I dilly dally in getting to a remedy that works - just means I don't over do it when over-doing it can be avoided.

VizslaMomma - the Vet has checked and confirmed no hidden issues. I would simply use Calendula Tea as something to wipe out the part of the ear you can see, just from time to time and only as necessary. If the ears are clean and there is no major itching issue, IMO there's no need to engage routine cleansing procedures. A bit of "don't fix something that ain't broke". Just check your dog's ears - THAT's the "general maintenance" routine part :) .

Just what I wanted confirmed. Thanks Erny.

We were given the option of malaseb or another straight chemical cleanser.

Luckily my debit card failed to work.

:rofl: