French Brittany

Jeremy34

Hi everybody :)

I am interested in adopting a French Brittany pup later this year. I only found a couple of breeders who's sites say that they breed French as opposed to American Brittanies, or do not say either way.

I do not plan on hunting with the dog; his main role will be as a companion and running partner. I also intend to title him in obedience, tracking and/or agility.

I was hoping that some people would be able to tell me which breeders in Australia breed French Britts, and are they responsible in terms of health testing and inbreeding? Of course, I would check the pedigrees before getting a pup from any breeder.

From my research online, I was under the impression that in general French Brittanies would make better pets as they tend to be calmer and more attentive. If you think otherwise, please do not hesitate to post, as this impression was not based on first-hand experience with either dog.

Assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Jeremy34

I don't think it will matter either way but there are plenty of Britt breeders who breed dogs competing very successfully in dog sports so if thats what your wanting then talk with those breeders .They will also be able to assist in selecting a pup that will suit what you are wanting .

We have a French Brittany named Scout who is 2 years old (pictured below with my BC), we live in New Zealand and she was bred here. In the house she is very calm, kind of a heat-seeking couch potato. She is a very sweet-natured, cuddly girl who adores her family. When out she is a little hunting machine and she will go all day without tiring. She has just been rabbit hunting in the hills all weekend with my husband and is now crashed upside down on the couch. In sports type stuff, she has her Rally O Novice Title with me, and I do agility with her, at the moment just jumpers, but her hunting instincts are VERY strong, bearing in mind she was purchased as a hunting and field trial dog, not as an agility dog. She is "agreeable" to doing agility and rally with me, most of the time. Sometimes she makes stuff up on course, but she always has a good time.

I agree with showdog, you should look at breeders who do other sports with their dogs, or who have sold pups to sports people and they should be able to give you a fair idea of how those dogs are doing. I don't think it is fair to say the French Brits are calmer and more attentive though? All the Brits I know, some French, some American, some a mix of lines are all pretty similar. They are happy to do stuff with you and they are happy to lie around the house provided they get plenty of exercise and things to do. They are active, energetic dogs.

You would need to check with individual breeders re health tests but I have seen plenty of Brittany breeders on DOL who mention eye testing, hip and elbow scoring, and it seems more common for American Brittany Breeders.

I meant to get a pup from a breeder. But if an adult rescue dog was available, I would definitely consider that.

And thanks Tassie, I was aware of that thread. I have read through the first few and last few pages, but I don't plan on reading all 107 of them.

Edited by Jeremy34

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I had a quick google search and they don't seem to be common in rescue, your best bet is probably a pup from a breeder or perhaps an older dog from a breeder (retired brood bitch or show dog etc).

Have you gone to any dog shows to meet some of these dogs in person yet? I think meeting the dogs will be your best bet in judging which ones will have the temp you are looking for.

I am an American Brittany breeder, but have met a few French dogs and mixed French/American.

I don't believe that French dogs are calmer or more attentive. I think other than slight variations based on working style the temperaments are quite similar. I had heard before I got my first dog that the Americans were more biddable and softer dogs. All of mine have an off switch and are calm when needed.

I don't believe many French breeders hip or elbow score and I have not heard of any doing hearts or eyes. There is a bit of an attitude with some French Britt people about only placing dogs in field homes.

If you go to a show in NSW it's very likely you will only see American Brittanys. You need to contact French breeders to meet French dogs, as they rarely shoe and mostly do field and retrieving trials.

There are two French Britts in ACT with performance titles and quite a few American/mostly American dogs all around the county titled in other sports. My older bitch is titled in Obedience, one pass away from her first tracking title and has started training in agility. I have not found my girl gets distracted with hunting unless there is game like rabbits around. They are lovely dogs to train and own. Please contact me if you want more info.

Edited by RallyValley

Thanks for the helpful information!

I think I will try to get to a couple of shows next month to see some of them first hand.

I have read on a few different pages that the French Brits have a better temperament for house living, but it is quite possible that the sources saying that are only doing so to promote their own type at the expense of the ABs.

I will not be buying from a breeder who has not done appropriate health testing on the parents. If I was unable to find an FB breeder who sells to non-hunting homes, then I would certainly not be disappointed with an AB.

One other question: are the coats of the two types the same in terms of length/thickness/grooming requirements? I have seen a few FBs (in pictures) with quite a long coat.

The Brittany

The Brittany first appeared in the United States in the 1940’s. Since that time, he has become one of America’s most popular hunting dogs and companion. With this interest there is a healthy curiosity about the Brittany, his ability and activities.

This is an attempt to answer many of the questions about the breed in a basic manner.

The Brittany is a compact, closely knit dog of medium size, between 30 to 40 pounds, and from 17-1/2 to 20-1/2 inches at the shoulder. He is a leggy dog that can cover ground with agility. He is strong, vigorous, energetic and quick of movement.

His small size makes him easy to carry in a car. His short tail, which can be either natural or docked, is an asset. He has enough coat to protect him from the briars but not enough to catch burrs to any great extent. He can be either orange and white, or liver and white, with either clear or roan patterns. He is not a heavily coated dog, but is lightly fringed.

He works in the same manner as a pointer, but without the great range. He points and holds his game. He retrieves both on land and in water. He is used primarily on upland game in the United States, but is used on both fur and feather in France.

He is noted for an exceptionally keen nose and a very biddable disposition. Many of the countryís top dogs have been house pets as well as field winners and fine hunting dogs. The Brittany is a high energy dog who is bred to hunt. He does need lots of exercise or opportunities to hunt to keep him happy.

He has a typical friendly disposition and is very willing to please his master. He may be expected to absorb training more easily than some of the other pointing breeds, needing only a sharp scolding or slight punishment. The natural ability of the Brittany sells him as a breed to many neophytes in the field of hunting as he seems to know better what to do than his master.

He gains his admirers from his excellent working ability. The Brittany, with his shorter range, is becoming more popular as hunting becomes limited to smaller fields with more fences. His exceptional nose, which guarantees that he will pass up few birds, also helps to account for his popularity.

Please see the quote above from the American Brittany Club's Primer.

And this UK website describing French Brittanys:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tournesolbrittanys/Enquiries.htm

I think much of the coat difference you would have seen in pictures is the two differing styles of presentation, American Brittanys are usually much more groomed and trimmed than French ones.

I suggest you contact Marilyn DiNatale of riverreed Brittanys - she has American and French dogs, and blended dogs as well and is extremely knowledgeable. If you go to shows in nsw you are not likely to see anything with French lines. http://www.riverreedbrittanys.com - There are people in usa who have both French and american lines that do say that the French are more obedient as they are bred to hunt more closely, a lot of usa dogs have been bred to hunt at a bigger distance and they trial on horseback. There are also some people with French lines who do health test.