Hair Of The Dog

Gretel

Tatum had to have surgery to have a hairball removed last year when it caused a blockage. Since then I keep a closer eye on her and feed mashed pumpkin every week or so as I've been told that can help prevent problems. Last night I noticed she did a poo with a lot of hair in it. I gave her some oil then and I've given her pumpkin with her breakfast this morning. Hopefully this will head off any problems. I've not dealt with dogs with hairballs before so open to any advice please! I don't know why she's ingesting so much hair. She's not a mad groomer or anything.

I don't know if it would help but I grow cat grass for my dogs to munch on (used to give it to my cats). Perhaps that may help to *cough* up any hairballs like cats?

No idea if it will help but it sounds like a good idea. Thanks shall give it a try. :)

I believe an enzyme in pineapple assist with the breaking down of hairballs inside the digestive tract. It is used in hairball formulas by some of the super premium food companies instead of just upping fibre content.

Might also be worth a try adding some pineapple now and then, certainly won't hurt :)

Edited by Starkehre

Boronia her skin is fine, no itching, scratching or chewing. She really has me mystified! Starkehre I'll give her some pineapple every now and then. As you said it can't hurt and I opened some last night so good timing :laugh:

Boronia her skin is fine, no itching, scratching or chewing. She really has me mystified! Starkehre I'll give her some pineapple every now and then. As you said it can't hurt and I opened some last night so good timing :laugh:

I was just wondering how the hair would get into her mouth/gut. Is it her hair or one of the other dogs? she may be ingesting hair from one of the others, is it dog hair or is it hair from a fluffy toy?...I can now imagine you poking around in her poo to identify the type of hair within :laugh: