How Can I Help My Anxious/nervous Dog

M United

I find the best way to help my anxious dog is simply to avoid situations that cause him stress. He does not need to "greet" strange dogs when out walking. I find it is easier on him - and me - if I just don't allow any interaction with strange dogs when out walking and I don't take him to dog parks.

If they don't like to mix with other dogs so be it :)

I'm thinking she might like all of the fun smells the dog park has to offer her - she can meander about and check it all out at her own leisure... which is most likely why she associates "park" with something she wants to do.

What she isn't fussed on is not being in control of her own space.

Maybe you could find a time at the park when it's not busy, and see how she likes having it all to herself? I'm thinking she'll be in doggy heaven...

Not all dogs should be or should want to be social butterflies - some are more like hermits prefering to have plenty of their own space in order to feel comfortable.

T.

I'm thinking she might like all of the fun smells the dog park has to offer her - she can meander about and check it all out at her own leisure... which is most likely why she associates "park" with something she wants to do.

What she isn't fussed on is not being in control of her own space.

Maybe you could find a time at the park when it's not busy, and see how she likes having it all to herself? I'm thinking she'll be in doggy heaven...

Not all dogs should be or should want to be social butterflies - some are more like hermits prefering to have plenty of their own space in order to feel comfortable.

T.

I think you are right. While she enjoys going to the park and interacts sometimes with her friends (they initiate the play she never does) she mostly stays behind me sitting down or sniffing around on her own all nice and calm. I think she prefers just to be out with me. I will try and take her to another park that i know of which has less dogs and have some fun with just us 2.

I just wish she would allow to dogs to sniff her as i believe it to be social but not all dogs are comfortable with it and ill accept that.

Edited by M United

I find the best way to help my anxious dog is simply to avoid situations that cause him stress. He does not need to "greet" strange dogs when out walking. I find it is easier on him - and me - if I just don't allow any interaction with strange dogs when out walking and I don't take him to dog parks.

If they don't like to mix with other dogs so be it :)

Totally agree. Just let your dog be; why try to force her to be something she isn't?

I believe she likes the dog park. If i'm walking past the entrance with the intention to walk past and continue on a street walk she will run up to the door wanting to go in the park. I don't force her to go in the park. Also she knows the word park is the dog park and when i say that she gets excited.

In the second point making her not face her fears is the correct way? I was not forcing her to go up to large dogs for correction i have tried to implement corrections when i met up with friends on my dog walk or when a large dog comes up to her in the dog park. I cant give her space in those situations as she is confronted by these dogs in a non aggressive way.

I take my boy to the dog park all the time - he loves it. Once upon a time he was that overly friendly PITA but now, he wants to play with me. He is happy to say hi to a dog if it comes up but then he comes back to me to play. I choose who he plays with. He doesn't play with full on over the top dogs because that brings out his over the topness. I keep him with nice dogs that play nice and he has the best time.

Most of the time, people are happy to call their dogs away, if you ask them (we tend to play in a particular area in the park, to the side on our own or with a group that we know well) - there will always be a few who get on their high horse about it being a dog park and their dog can go where they like (leash your dog and leave - you can't argue with ignorance, you won't win)..

Go to an out of the way spot in the park and play with your dog - go at times when there isn't anyone else there (Zig and I are often there at 6am)..

It is early, sometimes cold but it is peaceful because all the numpties are still in bed..

You can always give your dog space - leash and leave.. It may take a couple of minutes but it is better for her and her safety..

Don't allow other dogs to intimidate her..