Reabsorption

Cassiegirl

Has anyone had a bitch reabsorp a litter and then go on to successfully have a subsequent litter? If so, what did you do differently? Did you use a different dog or the same dog? Ideas for prevention of reabsorption in a bitch that has a history of this would be appreciated.

Years ago my daughter's bitch was pregnant, got to 5 weeks and was showing and then started to look smaller over a couple of days. She had a brown sludge discharge. She was treated with AB's and went on to have a normal litter next season.

My own girl was mated and was in whelp. At the ultrasound at 4 weeks there was 6 puppies that had implanted with 3 in each horn. The repro vet could clearly see that only 4 foetuses were viable and the other 2 had died and there was no heartbeats. She absorbed these puppies and she went on to whelp the remaining 4 puppies. The vet said it was quite common in dogs and unless you ultrasound most would never know that there are frequent losses within a litter while in utero. This was a human grade scanner by the way.

To answer your question yes!

Has anyone had a bitch reabsorp a litter and then go on to successfully have a subsequent litter? If so, what did you do differently? Did you use a different dog or the same dog? Ideas for prevention of reabsorption in a bitch that has a history of this would be appreciated.

How far along was she when it happened.

As Rebanne suggested, you need to progesterone test during the pregnancy and supplement with either progesterone tablets or injections if needed. I previously had a bitch who reabsorbed without intervention. With progesterone monitoring and supplementation we had two successful litters ( small litters but success all the same).

Going forward from there we have just had a hassle free pregnancy and litter born from the only daughter of the bitch with fertility problems :)

it was most likely low progesterone. You need to find a repo vet that can test levels through the pregnancy and if need be support the bitch with meds/injections.

Agree with this. Have a repo vet manage your girl's next pregnancy. They'll do prog tests throughout the pregnancy to keep an eye on levels and she can be given injections if the levels drop. I saved a litter this way