How Do You Teach A Stay?

Going near my dog I could cope with. But getting attacked is another story. It happens often enough in trials to be of concern. I had an Aussie Shep grab my Dally around the throat whilst he was doing some beautiful off leash heel work. Not during a trial fortunately. Yes, my dog seems to be a target for other males. Although he was 100% focussed on me it's clear his body language triggers aggressive responses from 99% of other males we meet and the risk is not worth it. My dog decked the other dog in self defence but was very composed when I got between them and glad to see me taking control. I was shaken but he was keen to leap back into training despite the cut on his ear. I have had several similar experiences (always my dog doing his own thing) and do not wish to put my dog in that position. He won't start something or join in another fight but he is confident enough to finish it if he feels really threatened. When the bitches get in his face during the stays, he wags and flirts like crazy but those front feet don't move.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSD I know exactly how you feel, except my Aussie seems to be the punching bag for any dog who isn't quite feeling right that day. The number of times he has been lunged at, growled at or even bitten is getting a little out of control - enough he has started getting a bit nervous/wary about a few particular breeds which I am so upset about as he is the nicest natured dog and wouldn't hurt a fly!

I have not entered a trial yet, but I am so nervous about the stays!

Is it really that bad these days. Cripes I have my reactive dog classes behave better then that. How can dogs get titles in something called Community Companion when they behave like that? Why are these dogs not stricken from the field and made to pass a behavioral assessment?

That's the problem when a title is based purely on a set pattern routine and nothing done to test the temperament of the dog.

You can proof your dogs to being lunged at, barked at etc we do it at dog school even pups. I find that you get more concentration down the track and they bounce back fast or just let it slide if there is an incident