Yellow Dog Project

Working Dog Lover

I found the more formal looking harness with "In Training" the most effective.

The formality of the harness drew the attention of people (who in general and I think to a degree subconsciously, understand guide dog harnesses = dog in work) who could see it from at least some distance.

The "In Training" tags at the sides drew people's respect and questions were usually first asked before approach was made.

I don't think this should or needs to be a "system" but it is a 'tip' for some who are looking for something that might work a bit better for them.

"My Dog's In Training" (said or called out) was often something that had people pulling back their dogs (and their own otherwise unthinking hands) and taking a moment to think when I needed it the most in my boy's earlier training days.

http://friendlydogcollars.com.au

We use these. Gus gets a friendly one, because he certainly is, and just to let people know he won't eat their kids or small dogs etc.

Rosie has a nervous one, so clever people can't miss the fact she doesn't love most humans and will shy away. We'd rather people left her be than force themselves on her and make it worse. Apparently a hard concept to grasp!

I want to get one of these when Collie goes completely blind, that way I won't have to explain when he walks into peoples legs.

Agree that the yellow dog project is a good idea but in order for it to be successful it needs the support of the government and local councils and lot and lots of media coverage

I found the more formal looking harness with "In Training" the most effective.

The formality of the harness drew the attention of people (who in general and I think to a degree subconsciously, understand guide dog harnesses = dog in work) who could see it from at least some distance.

The "In Training" tags at the sides drew people's respect and questions were usually first asked before approach was made.

I don't think this should or needs to be a "system" but it is a 'tip' for some who are looking for something that might work a bit better for them.

"My Dog's In Training" (said or called out) was often something that had people pulling back their dogs (and their own otherwise unthinking hands) and taking a moment to think when I needed it the most in my boy's earlier training days.

Agree, I've ordered one of these harnesses, and just waiting for it to arrive. Mostly because people think it's perfectly OK to run up and touch, or let their children grab the "pretty fluffy dog".

Our training club has a special "town walk" training tonight, and my pup is in a "I want to play with every dog" mood, and some people haven't been keeping their distance as I move away to practice LAT, so I'm going to get a yellow sash for him to wear tonight as there is another dog that wears one too. I was hoping the harness would be here by now, but the yellow ribbon/sash is a good back up plan smile.gif

luckily I read your post Lisa, otherwise I probably would have turned up at Norman Duck instead :o

My problem is that I can't seem to keep the damn yellow thing on. And I managed to lose the last yellow thing (which wasn't even mine!)

A reminder email was sent out this morning Raineth smile.gif

Nova would probably eat a ribbon on a leash so I'm going to put a bandana on him. I can cut some extra material for you if you like and bring it out?

Edited by LisaCC

oh yes, I just checked my email, and there it is.

Yeah if you have enough to go round that would be great! Thanks Lisa!

If I put her back pack on I'll have plenty of places to attach it too if it looks like it might fall from around her neck :)

I have had that argument as well Erny. While I am not against the concept I do feel shouldn't that be the normal position and the right of any dog regardless of what coloured leash or ribbon they might be wearing (or not). Shouldn't the norm be you don't let your dog/child <insert whatever> approach a dog they don't know without checking that it is ok with the owner.

Edited by ness

I have had that argument as well Erny. While I am not against the concept I do feel shouldn't that be the normal position and the right of any dog regardless of what coloured leash or ribbon they might be wearing (or not). Shouldn't the norm be you don't let your dog/child <insert whatever> approach a dog they don't know without checking that it is ok with the owner.

It should be, but after acquiring my current dog I've discovered there are a lot of idiots in the world.

There are a lot of idiots, but also a lot of well meaning people who simply don't know better.

Kids especially, I find, are just not being taught.

Our area is pretty heavy in bogans and migrants, on one hand the migrants may have come from a situation where dogs weren't so much the norm in the way they are here, and consequently we have a lot of kids and adults around here who either scream and run, literally... or want to meet him and assume as they're not wearing big studded collars (like the bogan staffy crowd, who aren't flash here a lot of the time be it owners or dogs you want to steer clear of) they're a-ok and therefore it's fine to stop and lean over them to pat them. Now Gus is quite happy for this to go on and couldn't care less, so we're lucky there but not all dogs are and that seems to be a moot point, people seem to have decided around here that as neither are bull breeds, they are automatically friendly and therefore ok to say hi to.

And the bogan crowd seem to fancy themselves all 'dog people' and therefore it's all ok as well.

I admit some people are just morons, but there's a lot of people who just don't think what they're doing isn't appropriate.

If the word can get out, it might work as a good visual reminder of how to behave safely around dogs.

I think that's where muzzles can also be good as they remind people to give dogs space. But I haven't managed to find one that fits her well enough to wear in summer. And they are more difficult to use treats with too.

Sometimes there's just not a perfect solution to a problem I guess.

I don't get many children on their own doing that, I get parents encouraging children to grab a strange dog on the butt. Thankfully I mostly hear it before the child rushes over. I can't fathom how someone can think thats a good idea.

It is a great concept, but like everything education is the key - education of the public at large + education for the owner and dog with the issue to try and resolve this problem where possible.

I absolutely hate situation where other well orientated dog owners (clubs/sporting dog activities etc)will have their dogs out and about with absolutely NO respect for either "beginners" or those with dogs who have social anxiety etc. Yellow mark or not.

I use to enjoy walking my dog every day for my own exercise and have now had to either drive a long way to a 'safe place' or just take a route where I know through prior checking has NO dogs in houses which do not contain their dog behind secure fences etc.

I am so sick and tired of being accosted by rampaging dogs whose owners think it is their right to walk their dogs off lead, poo everywhere and harrass anyone be they human or dog alike. Even if my dog was sporting a yellow ribbon these owners would probably think it was granny decorating her doggy!!

If the vast mojority of the public cannot even recognise a working dog wearing a specifically marked authorised coat, then what hope do we have in making them aware of dogs with 'needs' the only way would be through a massive education campaign.

Lions hearing dogs have fluro orange leads which have the words printed on the lead'lions hearing dog', so now with jo public getting every colour of the rainbow leads which also have printed wording on them this has made it harder for those who use hearing assist dogs to be identified as 'genuine'

Also for all the dogs out and about wearing those new harnesses with various 'labels' on the side these have also made it much harder for distinguishing the 'genuine' working dog. I am constantly getting challenged when out shopping with my service dog thankfully I do have the necessary identification that is photoID card supplied by DSQ, but still it does start to become annoying.

• 2 weeks later...