Natural Lighting Course With Peter Coulson

gapvic

Nope, absolutely nothing at all.

Here is the image SOC:

13237408413_033b155079_z.jpg

It was honestly so bright that I couldn't see and wished to god I had sunglasses - we were standing on top of a concrete car park so it was all light, really hot and so so bright. It was really horrible actually and the poor model in the pic got a headache from the glare.

What Peter told us is that when photographing in full bright sunlight, position your model with the sun directly behind her or directly in front of her, no side on. These were taken at 1pm so the sun was right overhead. In this shot, the sun is behind her. We were spot metering but because her face was in shade, we could meter off any part of her face.

The one on the previous page of the same girl side on was also taken in full sun - she had to stand with her eyes closed as it was too bright for her and then as soon as she opened them, I took the pic lol.

We also made her stand in some corners of Hosier Lane that men had obviously used as a urinal. I don't think she was getting paid enough lol.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that! Glamorous, no? :laugh:

I only ask because I have had to do a few wedding ceremonies in full sun before (not that I really get to tell them where to stand). They usually end up shadowy under the eyes etc.

Peter didn't say anything but I think the concrete would have been acting as a giant reflector. Not long after this we put the girls in the middle of a whole lot of really light gravel and he did tell us to note then how the light was reflecting up off the ground and giving us a really even light on their skin.

They are fantastic Gapvic!! Am kicking myself I didn't do one of those workshops now. Will be stalking the page so I can catch the next lot ( hopefully there will be a next time!). I think it was $250 ish Kirislin.

I don't want to hijack gapvic's thread, but if you ever get the opportunity to do a workshop with Peter Coulson, jump at it - no matter how limited shooting experience you have! I took the next step on my photography journey yesterday shooting in manual for the first time. There were 30 people participating in the workshop which was ridiculously cheap being industry sponsored. The skill level ranged from beginner to advanced ,there were a couple of pros there who couldn't get into Sunday's advanced workshop, but Peter graciously spent time with everyone. He & the models were professional, patient, affable & accommodating - it was a great, although exhausting, 4 hours - no food or drink in the National Portrait Gallery where it was held!

Actually I didn't take that many photos.... concentrating on listening & absorbing, I suppose? Also, a busy environment with a large group.

There is a set of some of my shots on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/groenendevil/sets/72157643139110955/

I like this one

13502310715_f161c84e0d_z.jpg

It was taken in a long, dark hallway with light coming through a window at one end. The camera (& I :o ) really struggled with the ISO but the graininess makes it look like an old canvas.

Would like to do the workshop again with the knowledge I have now :laugh:

• 6 months later...

Hey Kirislin https://www.facebook.com/petercoulsonphotographer/photos/a.699498200106555.1073741830.123098721079842/809418522447855/?type=1&theater

I'm going to book into this - a little bit scared but after seeing gapvic's pictures, I figure it's too good an opportunity to miss :)

You won't regret it, Cougar!

For Sydneysiders & those in NSW Peter is doing a workshop in November

http://www.koukei.com.au/#/workshops/141121-sydnl

I would love to go to Sydney as the Canberra one had a lot more people being a special one off at the National Portrait Gallery. Unfortunately it's bad timing for me :(

Hey Kirislin https://www.facebook.com/petercoulsonphotographer/photos/a.699498200106555.1073741830.123098721079842/809418522447855/?type=1&theater

I'm going to book into this - a little bit scared but after seeing gapvic's pictures, I figure it's too good an opportunity to miss :)

I wonder how hard it is to find (and afford) parking where ever they meet. I dont know that I could walk too far. It's very tempting though.

The one I did started at Federation Square and there is heaps of parking in the area - I just had a short walk. I did find the course tiring though as although we didn't walk miles, we were on our feet for the full four hours and out in the sun at times. Well worth it though!