Tracking Training

I'm looking to start my Bronx in tracking training this year...and was just wondering if anyone knows of places to train? and have you trained with them and what did you think? Any suggestions/recomendations?

Thanks all :(

PS...also...generally/roughly what are the costs involved with doing tracking?

I have no experience with these clubs, but they were taken from the CCCQ website. http://www.cccq.org.au/documents/Affiliate...Spreadsheet.pdf

All Breeds Tracking Club Miss S Tolich PO Box 1878 Sunnybank Hills 4109 (07) 5546 9936

Evergreen Tracking Club - Gympie Ms D Sunners 24 Cremin St Upper Mt Gravatt

The costs involved in tracking? You will need to purchase a harness for your dog and a 10m suitable lead (cotton webbing my prefernce). Harnesses can cost anywhere from $10 up! A good leather one will be more expensive, but I wouldn't rush out an buy one just yet. You will need smelly socks, treats and toys, although you probably have most of these. Costs may be more involved in joining a club and any training fees, travelling to and entering trials. Not what I regard as an expensive sport (apart from petrol prices at the moment), but it is VERY tijme consuming. Oh, and good fun :(

Hi Kitkat

sorry cant help you on the Brissie side of things being in victoria, but i am starting my dogs tracking from next weekend, after many weeks of anticipation.

As far as i can see the biggest cost will be the travelling to the trials - certainly in victoria they are hald well away from the city suburbs.

To get into the training i have hassled a few people already doing tracking, and found someone willing to help, and am going to a training weekend for beginners where hopefully i will find some people local to me. The weekend is run by one of the local obedience clubs that does tracking -the only one that does around here on any formal basis anyway.

Thanks for that FHR ;)

Also glad to hear it's not one of the more expensive sports! :( Hmm...and so the fact that Bronx already likes hunting down my socks and slippers is a good thing? :)

And thanks to you also Dogdayz....hehe we'll have to compare notes on how the dogs go :D

Edited by KitKat

Kit Kat,

You are always more than welcome out my side of town. Have some excellent places here to lay tracks.

I did a weekend workshop on tracking couple of years ago.. the 4am get ups was the hard part. (and finding a tracking partner or someone else stupid enough to get up that time too to lay a track)...

Ohh this thread came a very good time for me, I'm looking for a new 'sport' to try out with Dieter

Kinda hijack:

FHR - where did you do tracking in Canberra? Through CDC? Is it generally a two person type of job or could I go out and practice by myself... with a dog :thumbsup:

Skyes Dalimit I might have to take you up on that offer...and omg...i forgot about the whole undogly start times!

abzndbonnie - Just a basic run down from this site

What is Tracking?

Tracking is when a dog is following the scent trail left by a human being (or other animal) that has passed along a certain route.

Following a track is one of the many useful things dogs can do to help humans. Hounds track game, rescue dogs track lost children, police dogs track suspects, well trained pets can find lost items.

Many dog owners are involved in tracking with their dogs as a hobby (for fun) or as a sport (to earn titles), or both.

Equipment You'll Need For Tracking

To begin tracking you need a healthy dog, the proper equipment, and time. The special equipment needed for tracking includes

* a tracking harness for the dog (or a chain collar for Schutzhund tracking),

* a long lead (25' or longer),

* a few articles (leather glove, old wallet, old sock, etc.),

* some treats for the dog,

* several flags to mark starts and turns (brightly colored clothespins are also useful for marking turns).

Eventually, you will need one or more other people to lay tracks for you. You should also invest in a few good books on the topic.

You'll also need some open fields or grassy areas to train on. In early training, only a couple of acres are necessary. For advanced tracks, twenty acres or more may be required to adequately challenge the dog.

Just as importantly, you need to be in reasonably good physical condition yourself. Tracking requires a great deal of walking in fields and bush. You may need to to walk up steep hills, hop over ditches, and climb over fences. To lay an advanced track and run it later may require you to walk well over a Killometre in rough terrain. In short, tracking entails hiking.

Tracking is great fun and will keep you and your dog fit and healthy.

I have found a place on the way to Beenleigh that is offering basic sniffer/tracking training so i might have to check them out as well. Info here

Vehs, I started tracking through CDC, sort of. A few years ago when a member was tracking their newest dog (now a TCh), they organised a training day and ran a tracking trial. Since then I have gone up to Sydney for a few training days with the NSW search and rescue club.

I basically go out by myself now in a few areas around Canberra. There are a couple of members at CDC still doing some tracking. Due to drought and fires, there hasn't been much cover to track in for the past few years here.

Kitkat

definitely give it a go. My weim and maybe a dozen other dogs (assorted breeds) spent this weekend at a tracking worshop, having their first goes. They all loved it, much enthusiasm, and amazing to see how quickly they catch on. My collie starts next week. :mad

kit

booker tee and i will go with u

i was looking at the commando course

booker has done a bit of agility ( and i dont mean jumping over the fence at lure racing)

just tell me when u can go and well do it too

ains

edited to say we will give the tracking a go too, actually we will try anything

Edited by luv_is_a_staffy

Cool!!! i have to pay off a few things first :) but i should be ready to go in a month or two...but i'm going to email them for info on the tracking training as they didn't have any dates up last time i checked...perhaps if we can get enough people interested we can get our own 'training course' and a discount if we word it right! :laugh:

Hey Skyes dalimit, how do border collies go? lol i have one who is always nose to the air or ground and some one said to start them young.. LOL just thought i would check as he would stand out with all the labs and GSD doing tracking in our club

post-9-1115214748.jpg

Tracking sounds like something I would like to try with one of my boys.

Is there some were that has a information session or basic training sessions for someone who knows nothing about it? (I have lots of dumb blonde days!!!)

I am not sure how my dog would go but it might be fun to do!!! My boy might be more interested in everything else rather then what he should be "tracking".

Dogdayz: Where abouts do you train?? Ive always wanted to give tracking a go but never really started cause no place and basically no idea haha

Only just starting. I spent last weekend at a beginners course (KCC) run by Hastings Dog Club (who are fairly active in that area). Tracking club also runs one each year but it is held near Ballarat. Am now going to train with an experienced person (who knows collies well) over towards Hastings on Tuesday mornings.

The best way seems to be to find someone who can accomodate you into their training group.

Its an interesting lesson in reading a dogs body language, how it changes as it finds and loses the scent. I handled a cattle dog pup who was fairly calm about it all. Pitied her owner who handled my weim - wasnt ready for the strength/speed that a weim moves when on a mission.

The main problem is travel, trials are generally held at a distance and start at 7am, so you travel early hours and are there all day. Most training is done early morning from what i gather, and out of snake season of course.

Sparty,

There are a number of border collies with various tracking titles, here and overseas. I know in the UK it is quite popular.

Think it depends on the individual dog. Getting them from looking up to down like any bit of training requires you to break it down to individual components. Clicker can be good to get them to start sniffing. I have to admit though, I had already taught Jemma at the time to seekback which is an obedience thing where they have to track back your scent to fetch an object (normally made out of leather) and bring it back to you.

But I started with her favourite toy and placed it in various places withing a room then other rooms of the house and told encouraged her to "find" her toy. Then moved up from there for the seekback item. Then moved onto seeking scent on wood, metal, leather for obedience articles. (have not done much in that training of late)