Flying Dog "excess Baggage" With Virgin

Sandra777

Can someone please clarify...

Dog & OH flying Brisbane - Melbourne & return.

Dog needs to be taken to freight depot (Toll) both ends, not to the terminal

Toll says the fact that the dog is booked on the flight as excess baggage must appear on the printed itinery

Virgin says they can't do this and Toll have access to the booking system so can see the dog is booked on the ticket.

Please - can anyone who has flown Virgin with a dog recently tell me what to do next? :eek: :eek:

Go down to Brisbane Airport to the Virgin freight depot (hard to find so good idea to do dummy run pre actual flight) take dog in crate make sure crate is sealed on all sides with bolted or strip ties, there is an area out front of depot where you can walk your dog to toilet pre caging to go inside. Take dog in crate you can use their provided trolley if needed, into main reception, complete paperwork show your ticket for flight dog is weighed in crate, you pay one way to Melbourne and paperwork sticker is attached to crate you then go to airport and do your boarding stuff, go up to departure area and watch to make sure dog gets loaded onto aircraft if you do not see dog come out on the trolley and go up roller ask steward at gate of boarding to phone down and check for you they are very obliging. when you arrive at melbourne airport you simply go collect dog from freight depot. At both ends dog must be lodged in at least 90mins pre flight. When time to return do same thingat melbourne virgin freight office and consign dog with ticket back to Brisbane airport. Ok hope this helps just message me if you need any other info we have flown heaps and on various plane companies and airports etc. Oh one other thing try to have flight in ealy part of day or late afternoon for temperature control during summer and freeze water in door bowl so it melts slowly, also as virgin only allow 2 dogs in cargo per flight just check with guest contact that your particular flight is good to go.

Edited by zeebie

Can someone please clarify...

Dog & OH flying Brisbane - Melbourne & return.

Dog needs to be taken to freight depot (Toll) both ends, not to the terminal

Toll says the fact that the dog is booked on the flight as excess baggage must appear on the printed itinery

Virgin says they can't do this and Toll have access to the booking system so can see the dog is booked on the ticket.

Please - can anyone who has flown Virgin with a dog recently tell me what to do next? :eek: :eek:

Toll guys are usually fairly easy going.

I think I did the same as above in November. Took my itinerary/printed boarding pass to Toll and they did a manual ticket for the dog with my flight number and gave me a collection slip for the other end.

You don't get any acknowledgement or Ref # with Virgin atleast with AAE you get sent out paperwork & ref # when you book

The dog will be booked as special requirement so you can't do online boarding pass you must check the dog in first & then you do your check in at the airport

Toll will have the info but life would be easier with some acknowledgement

Thanks all - phoned the Toll number in Melbourne and he assured me that no the info did not and would not appear on the printed itinerary. Hope the guys in Brisbane know this too LOL.

Be nice if all companies had to change all the info on their website when they change their procedures....

We've flown dogs all over the place, first time in Australia flying excess...

Last time was in NZ and the dog's crate was on the next seat - 10 seater plane :laugh: