Weaning A Hand Reared Puppy

mini girl

Have had to take up hand rearing a puppy mother lost all her milk. The pup is 3 weeks and 3 days. I have introduced some food which is going well. Loves the formular with a little mince and either farex or advance rehydratable puppy food. My question is how long will I need to continue the tube feeding and getting up at 2 am for a feed. Tried to find a schedule but can't really find one. She is gaining and we weigh her each feed. She weighs 530 grams now. Is it too early to cut out the milk by tube and just divide it into feeds of formular and mince and the rehydratable soaked. When do you let them go through the night. Just finished the 2am feed she was sound asleep and didn't seem all that hungry. First time I have ever had to do this. Would she now be ok with formular and food only and how many feeds a day.

Think this is one you play by ear as with human babies.

Try not doing the feed & if she is hungry she should let you know. As you are weighing her so often you will know soon if she drops weight & needs the other feed.

Try her without tube feeds & see how she goes. I would feed 6 times a day & guess she can drink water by herself now. If she won't drink water you would have to give her some in a bottle. best of luck.

Thanks Christina was thinking maybe 6 small meals a day. Don't think she is interested in water just yet. I did put her on my other girl who's pups are a week tomorrow. She let her feed so may do that from time to time as well. The other girl has 4 big pups and seems to have plenty of milk. I don't think I should leave her with the other mum all the time though with the age difference in the pups. We ended up surrendering the little male who was her brother and had drinking problems. Was going to have him pts but the vet nurse at our animal hospital said she would do a rescue and with the help of a vet team see how he goes. She is also a dog breeder and wild life carer. If nothing can be done he will have to be pts but if there is zany thing that can help and he does survive to be ok they will re home him. I honestly don't hold out a lot of hope but as we were not getting anywhere thought it one last ditch try. These two pups were being reared by me for another breeder due to her personal circumstances.

I second what Christina has said, would put her on the other bitch maybe three times a day, bitches milk is better than any formula, her weight will let you know how she is coping.

Best of luck with the little girl, hope that the little boy does well too, cannot say you have not done your very best for these babies. Well done.