Doggy Day Care

westiemum

wave1.gif TSD - not sure about other places but this place doesn't take any undesexed dogs. And yes I hadn't thought of that but yes I'm sure there are dogs which aren't suited/ wouldn't enjoy it. Lucky that my three seem to really enjoy the company and activitythumbsup1.gif

Yes I had to strike a number of boarding kennels off my list as they insisted that group exercise was the only way to go. Fortunately I found somewhere that only ever runs dogs from the same family together and insists on feeding them separately.

Glad you found somewhere good Steph!

Interestingly I have been struck of peoples lists because I do those things :) oh well I sleep easy at nights :)

wave1.gif TSD - not sure about other places but this place doesn't take any undesexed dogs. And yes I hadn't thought of that but yes I'm sure there are dogs which aren't suited/ wouldn't enjoy it. Lucky that my three seem to really enjoy the company and activitythumbsup1.gif

Yes I had to strike a number of boarding kennels off my list as they insisted that group exercise was the only way to go. Fortunately I found somewhere that only ever runs dogs from the same family together and insists on feeding them separately.

Glad you found somewhere good Steph!

Interestingly I have been struck of peoples lists because I do those things :) oh well I sleep easy at nights :)

Exactly :)

I feel you need places that offer both of these things, so glad you don't mind being struck off lists! :thumbsup:

I did once have someone say to me

Don't get all caught up int eh money you can make and put dogs in together to maximise your income. I was like WHAT, just WHAT, no way would I EVER place dogs into runs together that were not from the same family EVER.

I just couldn't, I would be so worried they would get in fights or injured or worse. I have had people tell me they are not happy I won't mix dogs as fluffy likes playing with other dogs - after having to wear a muzzle for the first half an hour, but he is fine once he gets used to them. I cannot believe people would risk such things, but obviously some places do. Me, I know exactly where my dogs are and in with whom and I sleep very well knowing I have done my utmost to keep them safe until their owners come back!

I shudder at what must go on I really do!

I did once have someone say to me

Don't get all caught up int eh money you can make and put dogs in together to maximise your income. I was like WHAT, just WHAT, no way would I EVER place dogs into runs together that were not from the same family EVER.

I just couldn't, I would be so worried they would get in fights or injured or worse. I have had people tell me they are not happy I won't mix dogs as fluffy likes playing with other dogs - after having to wear a muzzle for the first half an hour, but he is fine once he gets used to them. I cannot believe people would risk such things, but obviously some places do. Me, I know exactly where my dogs are and in with whom and I sleep very well knowing I have done my utmost to keep them safe until their owners come back!

I shudder at what must go on I really do!

Places keep strange dogs in runs together? Thats terrible :mad

I totally understand that :)

I work at two :)

I would not hesitate to recommend one of them to ANYONE with any type of dog. They are fabulous catering to individual dogs' needs, and it is fully airconditioned, the staff are excellent and all the dogs seem to blossom. They play movies for them during the day, have games, put tunnels or play structures out and it is fully mopped 4 times a day. The set up and toys are all on rotation so it is different everyday. Even the nervous dogs come out of thier shell!

The other, i work in the grooming salon, and i do not feel as confident recommending them. They do not mistreat the dogs or anything like that, however the staff interact with them much less, it is not airconditioned and can get very hot. Not kept as clean and some of the rowdy dogs are left in with the quieter ones, which i do not really like as it could get messy and it seems to freak out the quieter ones. It is definitely not value for money like the first. They also discriminate against breeds which i also do not agree with, an individual dog basis is much better. Considering they have some not so friendly dogs of other non-bully breeds..

Happy to share details of the places if anyone is Brisbane wants to know :)

ETA: i have only taken my dogs once, and it was at the second place. I never took them again as that day no one was constantly supervising them. I didnt feel comfortable with that.

I think Deniki would love the first place (LOVES dog parks), Kokoda would learn to love it- though not for the social aspect i feel, and Henry is very socially impaired, so it would take a lot i think to get him to play with other dogs. He'd probably like the treats they give :laugh:

Can you supply the details please D - I spend a fair bit of time in Brisbane and would like to know. PM if you prefer. I haven't found a really "professional" daycare - I tend to use kennels I am happy with and who also offer daycare. The daycare places I have seen come across as just a lazy way to make money.

Interesting conversation - I've been very happy at Dog City. The dogs are supervised full-time, they are separated into big dogs and little dogs, have activities and my 14 year old Mac gets taken for a special midday grandpa nap each day he's there with one of the owners. He's a cunning old boy - he really has her conned and loves snoozing on her chest and cuddling up to her.

I've been taking them there for some months and often watching through the window and I can honestly say I've not seen one problem. Maybe it's the level of supervision and activity? smile.gif

Can you supply the details please D - I spend a fair bit of time in Brisbane and would like to know. PM if you prefer. I haven't found a really "professional" daycare - I tend to use kennels I am happy with and who also offer daycare. The daycare places I have seen come across as just a lazy way to make money.

Not a problem at all. I have PM'ed you Rosetta :)

Interesting conversation - I've been very happy at Dog City. The dogs are supervised full-time, they are separated into big dogs and little dogs, have activities and my 14 year old Mac gets taken for a special midday grandpa nap each day he's there with one of the owners. He's a cunning old boy - he really has her conned and loves snoozing on her chest and cuddling up to her.

I've been taking them there for some months and often watching through the window and I can honestly say I've not seen one problem. Maybe it's the level of supervision and activity? smile.gif

This is it exactly :)

I have firsthand seen the difference between somewhere with dogs being entertained, and somewhere they are just let free to play rather unsupervised. Theres a big difference between the two.

Andy is my very timid puppy farm rescue - when I first got him he was frightened of his own shadowfrown.gif. And he's certainly coming out of his shell the longer he's at doggy daycare. They'll all go again on Thursday. thumbsup1.gif

And I have three happy absolutely exhausted westies snoring on my bed after a long day at Dog City. Sarah comes home, jostles for her dinner and then collapses!!smile.gif They did a great job again looking after Mac -particularly after he was so sick on the weekend thumbsup1.gif

Really well thanks Sir Snook. Aspiration pneumonia is a huge risk for laryngeal tie-back dogs with open airways. And the inevitable happened - something went down the wrong way and set-up a serious infection. Luckily his grandmother was on the ball, noticed it virtually the moment he went clinical last Saturday afternoon, and whisked him off to the vet for IV fluids and ABs - meanwhile I was at the football at Adelaide Oval with a flat phone! So I swung into action some hours later - and it's Mums early action that I think made all the difference. I then transferred him from the Parade to Anzac Highway Emergency overnight. He came home Sunday afternoon a new boy and spent Monday at his grandmothers house on her bed!!! So all well. And he had a lovely time with Alex at Dog City yesterday - she's really fond of him and looks after him really well. thumbsup1.gif

Not a problem at all. I have PM'ed you Rosetta :)

This is it exactly :)

I have firsthand seen the difference between somewhere with dogs being entertained, and somewhere they are just let free to play rather unsupervised. Theres a big difference between the two.

Hi Denali, I'd love to know which one you recommend too - if you don't mind? Not sure I'll need it anytime soon, but it's good to know these things I think! Thanks :)