Urgent Advice Please- Bloat?

and just remember not all dogs present the same way with bloat. One of the worst cases ever seen by a Sydney emergency vet was a greyhound that was just not quite right, owned by experienced people who had seen bloat before.

What has given me insight is it's not as breed specific as I thought.

It is nasty deadly condition. If you suspect it, vet as fast as you can. If it is bloat 10 minutes can make a big difference to the outcome.

I had a dog go from looking a little uncomfy to enormously bloated in the 10 minutes it took to call the vet (at 5am ) and get there. She had a complete tortion that we couldn't get a stomach tube past until she was opened up.

My bitch had it and survived it 3 times purely because I got her to the vet asap.

Sorry for not updating sooner!

Foster puppy is ok, she didn't go downhill overnight although she had soft poo and someone had thrown up dinner overnight (not sure if it was her as it happened while I was asleep). When I first woke up this morning her tummy was softer and less bloated but then puffed up again (she hadn't eaten anything) so I took her to get vet checked, assuming it probably wasn't GDV but obviously something.

Vet had a feel and a listen to her belly and said she sounds a bit gurgley as well as being bloated and it was most likely early signs of a gut infection, possibly coccidia, or just an irritation from something got her little mouth on. Her tummy's been going up and down (getting more/less bloated and firm all day) and she had lots of soft poo, I took a sample in for a float this arvo but didn't get the results before they finished up, I'll find out tomorrow if she needs Baycox or anything. She's stayed bright and happy the whole time and is still keen to eat, drink etc so I'm not overly worried.

Thank you all for your concern and advice!

Edited by Simply Grand

It is nasty deadly condition. If you suspect it, vet as fast as you can. If it is bloat 10 minutes can make a big difference to the outcome.

I had a dog go from looking a little uncomfy to enormously bloated in the 10 minutes it took to call the vet (at 5am ) and get there. She had a complete tortion that we couldn't get a stomach tube past until she was opened up.

My bitch had it and survived it 3 times purely because I got her to the vet asap.

Wow, that's scary. I knew it could get serious really fast which is why I was really quite worried last night.

I was thinking this afternoon that it may have only been because I'm so aware of her long, slim build (she has a littler brother who is shorter and chunkier) and she's short coated that I noticed the difference in her so quickly last night. If one of mine had the same change I don't know if I'd notice it so quickly under their furry coats.

Good news of sorts, hopefully just a belly ache then. Has she had a change of food since coming in to care?

No, she was born in the shelter I work at and has been on the same food since starting to eat soaked then hard kibble. I have introduced a couple of different things like treats for training and Dentastix but she didn't have anything new over the last few days.

Maybe just eaten something she shouldn't have then. My kelpie ended up collapsing and being rushed to the vet with suspected snake bite. Tested and cleared, spent a day on a drip even and the vet thinks she may have eaten something dodgy that caused like a toxic paralysis! Was very scary but no obvious cause. They don't always use their brain when deciding what to eat LOL