Heartworm Tablets During Pregnancy

Hi all

I would like to ask people's opinions regarding Heartworm tablets during Pregnancy.

I have heard that the tablets may possibly cause dead puppies.

Would be very interested to hear from anyone that has any information regarding this.

Thank you in advance

I made sure mine was done just before mating, then she was done two weeks after whelping. Everything I read said Sentinel was safe but I just wasn't comfortable with it. We are not in a high risk heartworm area.

I gave my girl her last Heartworm tablet 20th March and she was mated 26th & 27th March, hope that was ok. I am not going to give her a monthly tablet from now on in case she is pregnant.

I have bee using Interceptor and there is no warning on the packaging not to give to pregnant bitches.

The microfilaria take 4 months to develop into worms. On that basis, it should be safe not to give any heartworm protection during pregnancy if you are concerned about it. I am not sure, but your medication may destroy microfilaria.

You could also give Dimmotrol - daily tablet, which has been used for years, and as far as I know, is safe.

Edited by Jed

I am in high risk area. I have given heartworm during pregnancy. I never use the injection as this has caused death in some collies. I use interceptor for my worms. The flea component in sentinel I have found useless in my area. I have also used pro heart monthy tablets. I cannot use heart guard having collie breeds.

Best advice, read the product leaflet and search the MSDS for the product. This will list whether is is safe to use in pregnant and lactating bitches and also any side effects that are expected using the product.