Kill List Frustrations

Another Rant!!!!!!!

I know a guy that has been looking for a small dog as a companion....but has unable to find one locally...He has tried AWl rspca which have them interstate....when he applies...he has to go in person......some 700kms each way

He only yesterday told me that he has given up faith in so called rescue groups or pound...doggierescue etc.........he is a pensioner and would rather have an animal than spending all the money on his transport....

Has he tried dog rescue newcastle? They transport dogs as long as the home check and references check out.

I don't have an issue with people taking on an animal on 'death row' as long as they are actually set up to handle that animal and willing to put in the effort needed. I have taken on plenty of animals this way but I know I am willing and able to put in the work they need. The way i see it if a rescue would have scrounged around and found a spot for that animal, then put in 3-4 months worth of work vetting and rehabing it before having to put more work in to rehoming it then having someone take the animal on who is willing to put in that effort themselves saves the rescue groups time and money and allows them to focus on other animals in need.

Of course this statement doesn't apply to those who just take them in a whim without regard for the reality that comes with that animal and i definitely don't agree with groups who advertise them in the hopes of suckering someone with a sad face and a sob story.

Czzzy there's plenty of people in rescue who will ship a dog sight unseen to a home they don't know as long as the buyer pays for transport. If he wants to take a gamble like that then he just needs to keep looking.

Yes.

And a dog sent sight unseen let alone medical or behavioural assesment in any way shape or form to an unknown home is pathetic IMO when lives are at stake. Czzzy's post is not, and will never come close to reputable rescue.

I don't have an issue with people taking on an animal on 'death row' as long as they are actually set up to handle that animal and willing to put in the effort needed.

In a pound/ shelter environment how do you actually manage that?

I have taken on plenty of animals this way but I know I am willing and able to put in the work they need. The way i see it if a rescue would have scrounged around and found a spot for that animal, then put in 3-4 months worth of work vetting and rehabing it before having to put more work in to rehoming it then having someone take the animal on who is willing to put in that effort themselves saves the rescue groups time and money and allows them to focus on other animals in need.

Would you take a dog that does not fit your household or the work needed? You are one of many applications and I would vet you the same as any member of the public

Saving dogs from kill lists is not pretty and if you are good at it and reputable there is no way in hell you would take a dog destined for pts and put the same dog into a fire pit with extreamly poor new owners or unreputable rescue.There is no excuse, no reason. Not at all, never, ever.

Of course this statement doesn't apply to those who just take them in a whim without regard for the reality that comes with that animal and i definitely don't agree with groups who advertise them in the hopes of suckering someone with a sad face and a sob story.

It does actually and it occurs every single day!

As I said Nic.B I was talking about MYSELF. Not that I would take animals and put them with owners not set up to handle them. I HAVE taken animals on PTS lists that needed lots of work, put the work in to them and still own them to this day. I wouldn't take an animal that I felt was above my ability to properly rehabilitate. I have had animals that have taken years to rehabilitate or which spent their whole lives requiring some level of support.

Quite frankly I think you have completely misread and taken out of context my statement because your statements added to it actually make no sense at all with regard to what I was saying.

As I said Nic.B I was talking about MYSELF. Not that I would take animals and put them with owners not set up to handle them. I HAVE taken animals on PTS lists that needed lots of work, put the work in to them and still own them to this day. I wouldn't take an animal that I felt was above my ability to properly rehabilitate. I have had animals that have taken years to rehabilitate or which spent their whole lives requiring some level of support.

Quite frankly I think you have completely misread and taken out of context my statement because your statements added to it actually make no sense at all with regard to what I was saying.

Ok.

Kill lists do not only ever just involve you, your family and your experience.

As a member of the public with no idea looking at kill lists how would you fair?

I do not believe I have taken anything out of context for a member of the public who stumbles upon "Kill Lists".

Exactly, and that's why I said this:

Believe it or not I was actually agreeing with you but simply stating that SOME people may have the ability to take on an animal that needed more work.

Exactly, and that's why I said this:

Believe it or not I was actually agreeing with you but simply stating that SOME people may have the ability to take on an animal that needed more work.

People take impounded dogs regulaly. It happens every single day of the week :) And so it should!

Plenty of people work out of bounds and have the ability to do all sorts of things though if the dog in front of you is made a priorty the dogs welfare it is a no brainer when it comes to rehome.

Previous people made statements regarding people taking on dogs when they weren't suited to the home because they couldn't provide the care or rehabilitation that the dog requied, but because they had allowed themselves to be sucked in but desperate stories. That's what i was responding to. Of course people get dogs from pounds every day of the week. I'm having a little trouble following your meaning, it feels like you are simply taking my statement in relation to the original post without any regard for any of the other posts in the thead?

I know that the majority of dogs adopted from the pound out of the adoptable dogs probably work but its the rescue only dogs that are really concerning. Ones that are suppose to go to rescue for rehab but i have seen those same dogs get dropped off at a vet get desexed and straight into homes thats very scary. I fear for the poor neighbors of the new family.

Czzzy there's plenty of people in rescue who will ship a dog sight unseen to a home they don't know as long as the buyer pays for transport. If he wants to take a gamble like that then he just needs to keep looking.

Yes.

And a dog sent sight unseen let alone medical or behavioural assesment in any way shape or form to an unknown home is pathetic IMO when lives are at stake. Czzzy's post is not, and will never come close to reputable rescue.

Isn't this what PR does :eek:

The fact is there is a huge difference between dogs on a 'kill list' and dogs 'safe' with rescue as seen by the general public.

Seriously! no member of the public stands a chance at comprehending the enormity of a true kill list and why should they?

Unless you want to prey upon peoples emotions and manipulate.

They are two different things. Both are vital, the difference between the good, bad and ugly for the public and of course the dogs themselves is who’s hands they fall into.

There are worse fates for poundies than being euthed... and some really should be given their wings rather than rehomed.

"Saving" everything with a pulse is NOT rescue.

Preying on the gullible public to get dogs out of pounds with some flowery scripting and a cute photo is NOT rescue.

Advertising animals you've never met and have no clue as to their temperaments is NOT rescue.

T.

Look we all agree here that this is a preferable method of "saving" and rehoming dogs but some others clearly don't. They feel that if its in a new home REGARDLESS OF THE RISKS TO THE DOG OR THE FAMILY That this is preferable to being dead. Its two major different philosophies and I cant see at least in the short term stopping that from happening. It also drags in the donations because those who dont understand it and who feel for dogs dying in pounds want to give money to help prevent that.

So we can either focus on how terrible that is or promote the other and demonstrate the differences . But no matter what some people will continue to do it this way and some people will think they are special and can take any dog and make it work .

Personally I think when you have people popping them out of pounds and working people over to take them out of sympathy it has the potential to muck up everything you guys work for in attracting those who want a good family dog suited to their lifestyle and in demonstrating that rescue dogs have limited risks and problems for the families, neighbours and the dogs so we need to be able to clearly promote the differences by focusing on the postive of what you do over the other guys.

Look we all agree here that this is a preferable method of "saving" and rehoming dogs but some others clearly don't. They feel that if its in a new home REGARDLESS OF THE RISKS TO THE DOG OR THE FAMILY That this is preferable to being dead. Its two major different philosophies and I cant see at least in the short term stopping that from happening. It also drags in the donations because those who dont understand it and who feel for dogs dying in pounds want to give money to help prevent that.

So we can either focus on how terrible that is or promote the other and demonstrate the differences . But no matter what some people will continue to do it this way and some people will think they are special and can take any dog and make it work .

Personally I think when you have people popping them out of pounds and working people over to take them out of sympathy it has the potential to muck up everything you guys work for in attracting those who want a good family dog suited to their lifestyle and in demonstrating that rescue dogs have limited risks and problems for the families, neighbours and the dogs so we need to be able to clearly promote the differences by focusing on the postive of what you do over the other guys.

Any suggestions as I have never experienced this really it use to be if you wanted to adopt a dog you either went to the pound which didnt adopt out iffy dogs or you went to a rescue. So how do we show people the better option? Or do we just keep plugging away the best we can

Wise words, Steve. But let's face it, the holier than thous always need to point out others' foibles whist forgetting their own :laugh:

Wise words, Steve. But let's face it, the holier than thous always need to point out others' foibles whist forgetting their own :laugh:

Agreed and there are loads of things which impact on that which we can get bogged down on. Some people will feel the urge to campaign as anti this or that and there is probably a place for that though its my experience that all this leads to is more laws which don't really make much positive difference to the dogs.

If those who use those "come and save everything before it is killed" tags are honest their goals and aim for their group and target market isn't the same as the market you guys are trying to appeal to and attract as new owners for the dogs you take on. In real life You don't build your market or make too much headway if you bag out those who work differently and see things differently. You can gather supporters and yell and beat a drum - start and activist group or lobby group to address what is going on you don't agree with but its hard to do that and have enough energy and umph left to also work at getting it right yourself.

Focusing on and complaining about all the stuff you think is wrong and creates a focus on "rescue" that is against your base philosophies takes your focus off what needs to be done that requires a focus on positive actions and thoughts.

In the case of the OP you attracted someone who was more suited to be the target market for the other guys - someone who was prepared to take almost anything on to save something from death.If you want to attract an abundant different market then you need to take a good look at your language and how you market what you do and how you will cope with and manage fundraising. Know who you are, what you do and be proud of it and promote it - then they will come.

Agreed and there are loads of things which impact on that which we can get bogged down on. Some people will feel the urge to campaign as anti this or that and there is probably a place for that though its my experience that all this leads to is more laws which don't really make much positive difference to the dogs.

If those who use those "come and save everything before it is killed" tags are honest their goals and aim for their group and target market isn't the same as the market you guys are trying to appeal to and attract as new owners for the dogs you take on. In real life You don't build your market or make too much headway if you bag out those who work differently and see things differently. You can gather supporters and yell and beat a drum - start and activist group or lobby group to address what is going on you don't agree with but its hard to do that and have enough energy and umph left to also work at getting it right yourself.

Focusing on and complaining about all the stuff you think is wrong and creates a focus on "rescue" that is against your base philosophies takes your focus off what needs to be done that requires a focus on positive actions and thoughts.

In the case of the OP you attracted someone who was more suited to be the target market for the other guys - someone who was prepared to take almost anything on to save something from death.If you want to attract an abundant different market then you need to take a good look at your language and how you market what you do and how you will cope with and manage fundraising. Know who you are, what you do and be proud of it and promote it - then they will come.

Thank you