Designer Dogs

Rocksie-doll

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the australian bulldog, the line striving for registration is called "Bosdogs" I think.

You get some great crossbreed mutts and some rubbish ones, same as with pure breeds. You can try manage what you select from but at the end of the day it's still a random pick from what's available.

People will always pay high prices for fancy stuff in a shop window, one born every minute. If you somehow made it impossible to have crossbreeds those shop windows would still have puppies, people would still impulse buy and neglect their dogs once the cute factor wears off. That's human nature. Last centuries bulldog to fit in a hat is today's frenchie, Boston's are a comparatively recent addition. None if the Aussie's, terriers, shepherds, or cattle dogs were around in the ark.

To me the issue of cruelty is not distinct from the practices of byb and just because someone is a registered breeder doesn't mean their practices are sound. Dogs should be kept a certain way, whether you're breeding or not.

Some groups have their own registry. There's the Bosdog and those who are doing the 'Cobberdog' (Labradoodle).

Realistically though cross breeding to create new breeds is still never going to create that mystical lap dog that doesn't need walking ever when it's young. It's a bit like the mystical tree everyone wanted when I was working at a nursery. We used to joke about it, grows only to exactly the height you want, perfectly shaped, flowers all year round and never drops leaves, flowers or twigs.

If you take a dog like a poodle who needs a good amount of exercise and stimulation and cross it with another small breed that needs exercise and stimulation you aren't going to magically come up with a quieter breed.

Other than the Labradoodle (hate that name) that has its own breed association and register, what other breeds ARE there in development??

Repeated F1 crosses are certainly not that.

Outside of the ANKC it is not against any rules to crossbreed. What are you proposing?

Australasian Bosdogs :)

I am a registered breeder with the Australasian Bosdog Society, we have rules and regulations we must abide by. We also must have all dogs hip and elbow scored prior to breeding and the results must be within the acceptable range to be used for breeding registered litters. Our aim is to become recognised by ANKC and I really think we will, one day.

I have made no secret of what breed I have and at no point has anyone on this forum ever had anything negative to say to me. Many have in fact helped with advise when I've asked for help from those more experienced than myself. I'm sure there are some that have negative opinions on it but they've kept it to themselves.

Other than the Labradoodle (hate that name) that has its own breed association and register, what other breeds ARE there in development??

The Bullarab is one. :)

Rat terrier, another. Though they've now been accepted as a breed by the AKC.

Rat terrier, another. Though they've now been accepted as a breed by the AKC.

Silken Windhounds are probably another. They fill a niche (smaller longhaired sighthound). I'd have one lol

I can see where you are coming from. If people want cross bred dogs why not do it properly but one thing you are missing is that

If one of the breeds has carries a genetic problem or fault that is known & the other breed carries a different one then by breeding them you are creating a puppy with the potential for 2 genetic problems now instead of one.

Some things can be tested for but others are known & can't be tested for. Do you think that puppy farmers will test or be able to check back through pedigree lines & have contact with other breeders ?

Its a challenge sometimes with the established breeds we have so with so many wanting to make it big business or make a quick dollar I can't see the potential for better or healthier dogs coming out of any kind of scheme.

A lady phoned me yesterday re a puppy. May let her have a litter or 2, it would be nice she said :eek: Refused pup but had a good chat with her about breeding.

She had never heard of PRA, luxating patella & had no idea that dogs could of any breed could be epileptic.

I have friends that have spent loads of money on pet shop (back yard breeder) dogs because they are cute.

And if people stopped buying puppies on a whim from pet shops because they're cute it'd put the puppy farms out of business. Sorry, people need to take responsibility for their own actions, there is endless information available now via the internet which tells you why buying puppies from pet shops is a bad idea. No sympathy for anyone who spends a lot of money for a dud in this way. Most people do more research when buying a fridge than when buying a living animal.

If we can try and support genuine cross-breeders, perhaps this may be at the very least, reduced.

Cross breeding is not the same as breed development - which do you want? And incidentally - pure bred cross bred or breed in development not one single genuine breeder of any sort would ever place a puppy in a pet shop.

Edited by Sandra777

Outside of the ANKC it is not against any rules to crossbreed. What are you proposing?

Murray curly coated retriever? Not recognised by the ankh. To be honest, if I was developing a new breed I don't think I'd be interested in dealing with them either.

re new breeds: In my inexpert opinion that sounds like what the MDBA foundation registry does. Could be wrong.

I really don't know what the MDBA is or does, but it isn't enough.

Really? What would you have them do which would be enough.

So far the breeders agree to a very hard code of conduct, have to pass a pretty hard entry criteria, they are monitored and policed - their dogs have much harder mandatory requirements on them to be able to be registered and included in the stud book and be able to be used for breeding the health, work and temperament issues for each dog is kept on all of their pedigrees.They have criteria and health restrictions on where they need to get to be able to call their breed a purebred. The MDBA acts as a resource and third party stud registry so that they are immune to breed politics and only what is best for the breed is a priority.

Im more than happy to listen to any input you have where we may be able to do more.

The ANKC are not against new breed development and have in place a very comprehensive program of how it all has to progress. The difference is that they are never involved until such time as the breed has reached the level it needs to be at according to their criteria to apply for purebred recognition. Most times the breed that is being developed has their own club and they keep their records and pedigrees - this carries a much higher risk of failure and few get through the years and politics to actually be able to get to a point where they qualify to be able to apply for ANKC breed recognition.

The breeds which are using the MDBA as their foundation registry will be able to more easily apply for ANKC breed recognition when they reach that point if that's the way they choose to go.

If you have any suggestions as to any thing else we can do or improve this please Im sincerely asking for your suggestions.

I completely understand. All I want is to stop this horrible trend that is happening all over the place. I have friends that have spent loads of money on pet shop (back yard breeder) dogs because they are cute. If we can try and support genuine cross-breeders, perhaps this may be at the very least, reduced. I'm really not looking for an argument, and I know many breeders. My plight is to allow more breeds who come under stricter regulation. With no malice to breeders, some of the stuff they have been doing to their breeds because of the new "idea" of what the breed should look like has been tragically detrimental to the breed. GSD for one.

And if the breeders aren't interested in this registry, and don't want to join? What then?

If you don't know how many pure breeds there are, why are you advocating for more crosses to produce more pure bred dogs?

It is a huge job to breed a purebred line from other breeds, and very expensive. Why would a breeder do that when there are already many many pure breeds out there? I don't understand what you are advocating.

Go to the ANCK website, and read the requirements for a breed in development.

As a breeder of 40 years + experience, I find it challenging enough to try to breed examples of the breed which are in accordance with the standard, with good temperament and health as well, without trying to develop some new breed.

Well I dont think you will ever stop the bad guys and the great thing about any registry is that they are voluntary - some will join and follow the criteria and some will continue to breed cross bred or purebred dogs without belonging to any governing group. Lots of breeders will continue to breed non papered puppies and sell them where ever they want.

It's about the buyers not the sellers. If the demand is there someone will always fill it.

People need to take responsibility. Dogs are not low maintenance. If someone wants a dog just to look nice in their backyard or on their lap & is not wiling to put in any time to fulfill the needs of the animal then I suggest a soft toy as a suitable fit for them,

The spoodle or cockapoo (worse name ever) is in development in the US

Are they? Do you have any links for that ? No third party registry in the world will accept an application from them for breed recognition or application to any foundation registry with that name.

Some groups have their own registry. There's the Bosdog and those who are doing the 'Cobberdog' (Labradoodle).

Realistically though cross breeding to create new breeds is still never going to create that mystical lap dog that doesn't need walking ever when it's young. It's a bit like the mystical tree everyone wanted when I was working at a nursery. We used to joke about it, grows only to exactly the height you want, perfectly shaped, flowers all year round and never drops leaves, flowers or twigs.

If you take a dog like a poodle who needs a good amount of exercise and stimulation and cross it with another small breed that needs exercise and stimulation you aren't going to magically come up with a quieter breed.

The Australian Cobberdog do not have their own registry - Their stud records are kept by the MDBA. and they have to be MDBA members and comply with codes and rules etc to register their dogs. Currently they test for 27 different genetic diseases - none of which have shown up in years. These people started 20 odd generations ago with dogs of several different breeds and actively selected for a specific temperament and coat type.In the early days when they saw an incidence of ear problems due to the shape and size of the ear they infused another breed and selected for a different ear type which no longer gets ear problems. These dogs are a far far cry from just taking two breeds and magically coming up with a quieter breed - there was nothing magical about it.

Are they? Do you have any links for that ? No third party registry in the world will accept an application from them for breed recognition or application to any foundation registry with that name.

http://www.dogbreedplus.com/dog_breeds/cockapoo.php

I can see where you are coming from. If people want cross bred dogs why not do it properly but one thing you are missing is that

If one of the breeds has carries a genetic problem or fault that is known & the other breed carries a different one then by breeding them you are creating a puppy with the potential for 2 genetic problems now instead of one.

Some things can be tested for but others are known & can't be tested for. Do you think that puppy farmers will test or be able to check back through pedigree lines & have contact with other breeders ?

Its a challenge sometimes with the established breeds we have so with so many wanting to make it big business or make a quick dollar I can't see the potential for better or healthier dogs coming out of any kind of scheme.

A lady phoned me yesterday re a puppy. May let her have a litter or 2, it would be nice she said :eek: Refused pup but had a good chat with her about breeding.

She had never heard of PRA, luxating patella & had no idea that dogs could of any breed could be epileptic.

There is a major difference between people wanting or breeding a cross breed and working toward developing a new breed.

Murray curly coated retriever? Not recognised by the ankh. To be honest, if I was developing a new breed I don't think I'd be interested in dealing with them either.

Some of these breed types are endangered and to survive the maze of compulsory desexing in some municipalities for all dogs unless registered with a recognised body, supporters of these "breeds" need some sort of association with bodies recognised by governments is essential - ANKC included

http://www.dogbreedp...ds/cockapoo.php

Thanks - looks like thats where they are moving alright.

http://www.dogbreedp...ds/cockapoo.php

Thanks - looks like thats where they are moving alright.

yep, I wish I was making it up :p

while I don't have a problem with the breed being developed, American's have a lot to answer for with THAT name