Designer Dogs

Rocksie-doll

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't suggesting the cobberdog was at that stage, I was pointing out that they were keeping records and aiming to be recognised. The comment regarding throwing two dogs together was referring to the byb who just throw their pets together in the backyard.

If I were younger I would seriously consider working on new breed creation. I figure you have to have at least 20 years and a lot of resources to pull it off . . . or a good group of likeminded people.

I don't think existing breeds fit all 'market' needs. Breed standards simply don't let dogs evolve to suite new geography and new tastes.

eg, as a Labrador breeder in Australia I often hit people looking for Lab x kelpies. Lab for temperament. Kelpie to make the dog less heat sensitive, and maybe a little less prone to shedding and gluttony. I've heard the Australian defense forces particularly looked for Lab x kelpies for tracking work in Vietnam. In general, many of the wonderful coated Northern breeds could stand to be reworked to make them more fit for hot climates.

eg., There's a lot of demand for the dog who is like a pug or Frenchie in temperament, but without the breathing, eye, skeletal, and whelping problems. Iggies and whippets sort of work, but not everyone likes the greyhound look.

I can see where you are coming from. If people want cross bred dogs why not do it properly but one thing you are missing is that

If one of the breeds has carries a genetic problem or fault that is known & the other breed carries a different one then by breeding them you are creating a puppy with the potential for 2 genetic problems now instead of one.

Some things can be tested for but others are known & can't be tested for. Do you think that puppy farmers will test or be able to check back through pedigree lines & have contact with other breeders ?

Its a challenge sometimes with the established breeds we have so with so many wanting to make it big business or make a quick dollar I can't see the potential for better or healthier dogs coming out of any kind of scheme.

The science here is complicated. X-breeds -> more potentially problematic genes, but and much reduced frequencies due to dilution effects. Yes, it's a mess for genetic testing. But lets face it, the genetic testing available to us now isn't all that hot. For the most part we pay separately for each individual test, and not tests are available for many serious or very common concerns (HD, OCD, patellas, epilepsy, skin problems, cancer . .. name your breed and pick your problem). The big potential gains via the genetic testing route will come when we have reliable ensemble tests applicable to all breeds.

I can see where you are coming from. If people want cross bred dogs why not do it properly but one thing you are missing is that

If one of the breeds has carries a genetic problem or fault that is known & the other breed carries a different one then by breeding them you are creating a puppy with the potential for 2 genetic problems now instead of one.

Some things can be tested for but others are known & can't be tested for. Do you think that puppy farmers will test or be able to check back through pedigree lines & have contact with other breeders ?

Its a challenge sometimes with the established breeds we have so with so many wanting to make it big business or make a quick dollar I can't see the potential for better or healthier dogs coming out of any kind of scheme.

The science here is complicated. X-breeds -> more potentially problematic genes, but and much reduced frequencies due to dilution effects. Yes, it's a mess for genetic testing. But lets face it, the genetic testing available to us now isn't all that hot. For the most part we pay separately for each individual test, and not tests are available for many serious or very common concerns (HD, OCD, patellas, epilepsy, skin problems, cancer . .. name your breed and pick your problem). The big potential gains via the genetic testing route will come when we have reliable ensemble tests applicable to all breeds.

I haven't heard of it being done in Australia, but you can do DNA sequencing and look for all the currently known disease causing genes and also look for things like colour genes.

There's been a price drop in human DNA sequencing but I wonder if it's a good price in dogs now.

Edited by LisaCC

Anyone have links for this? I've heard of it, and had a link once, but not heard much about outcomes and can no longer find the link. . If an ensemble test were returning useful results at a reasonable price, I'd think it would be getting a lot of press.

I haven't heard of it being done in Australia, but you can do DNA sequencing and look for all the currently known disease causing genes and also look for things like colour genes.

There's been a price drop in human DNA sequencing but I wonder if it's a good price in dogs now.

Does anyone have links for the ensemble DNA test for dogs? Does it work for multiple breeds? Is there any indication of its reliability?

Edited cause the system somehow dropped my replyfrown.gif

Edited by sandgrubber