Teaching The Roll Over

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are with getting the dog to roll over. Teaching it is not a problem, but what I want to know is can it be dangerous for the dog if he does several rolls in a row in the same direction. I guess I am a bit hesitant because I have known of horses getting twisted bowels from not reversing their rolls. ie. rolling one way then rolling back the other. It certainly is an impressive trick to see a dog roll, over & over & over in the same direction, but is it safe :confused:

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are with getting the dog to roll over. Teaching it is not a problem, but what I want to know is can it be dangerous for the dog if he does several rolls in a row in the same direction. I guess I am a bit hesitant because I have known of horses getting twisted bowels from not reversing their rolls. ie. rolling one way then rolling back the other. It certainly is an impressive trick to see a dog roll, over & over & over in the same direction, but is it safe :confused:

Sheena, that is a good question.. My Aussie boy would roll twice over in the same direction, if asked to. And when I watch my dogs they will roll over once, then roll on their backs, have a rub and roll again, some times in the same direction other times not.

I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem. Dogs are generally designed to be a bit more flexible in their movements than horses and use their abdominal muscles a lot more which they would also use to roll over, I don't see how this would affect their bowls.

when I teach roll-over, I make sure that the dog is engaging it's muscles, by luring the head tucked up against the shoulder.

My old girl won the roll-over relay at Dr Ian Dunbar's Dog Games workshop by going nine in a row while most dogs were still going for their second roll! People laugh and say it's because they corgis are so close to the ground, but they're also an athletic and muscular dog.

My boy Chook does 7 in a row then you can see him getting dizzy so he goes the other way to unwind :rofl: :rofl:

But like anything you teach your dog if it is taught correctly they shouldn't hurt themselves. :thumbsup:

Edited by BC4ME

Some giant breed people have concerns about GDV and won't teach their dogs to roll over for this reason.

I was always taught to roll dogs "under" ie legs first when turning them over for surgery etc for this reason.

However this is largely a myth. If the dog is so loose and predisposed to GDV that simply rolling over will cause it, it's probably going to get it anyway no matter what.

I have a deep chested labrador and I've taught her to roll over several times in a row, never had a problem.

The only thing is that she gets over enthusiastic and so twines throws herself to floor quite hard and you have to make sure there's nothing in the way!

Oh my CC that's super cute! Did you happen to get video?

TSD; unfortunately not of that, since I was 'running' her, but she was always an enthusiastic roller! Ian Dunbar was very impressed though; he said it was the clearest win he'd ever seen in that game.

We lost her two months ago, so I only have video of single rolls in routines, since more than one got her so excited she'd bark too much, and lose points :)

I taught mine to roll over but never at the end of a training session and never more than once. It may have been silly, but after having a Dobe with GDV three times I wasn't going to chance it!

I taught mine to roll over but never at the end of a training session and never more than once. It may have been silly, but after having a Dobe with GDV three times I wasn't going to chance it!

This is what I was worried about, but mine being border collies it may be different. After having a horse die from a twisted bowel many years ago, I cringe just a little when I see large animals rolling & not rolling back the other way. Dogs may be different :confused:

Some giant breed people have concerns about GDV and won't teach their dogs to roll over for this reason.

I was always taught to roll dogs "under" ie legs first when turning them over for surgery etc for this reason.

However this is largely a myth. If the dog is so loose and predisposed to GDV that simply rolling over will cause it, it's probably going to get it anyway no matter what.

I have a deep chested labrador and I've taught her to roll over several times in a row, never had a problem.

The only thing is that she gets over enthusiastic and so twines throws herself to floor quite hard and you have to make sure there's nothing in the way!

This rings a bell with me, but can't remember where I read/heard about it. When getting a dog to roll over make sure they drop 1st & then roll, & not fall into the roll. It's also important for them to do it on a soft surface & not concrete.

I've taught Tilba to roll in both directions & I think about 3 in a row. Haven't done it for a long time.

I gave been trying do eggs by to do this but I just can't seem to get it, any suggestions?

Start off in drop (down) position. Hold a treat behind their head & about level with their shoulder. As soon as the dog starts to roll onto it's back, click & treat. Then repeat, clicking & treating when the dog rolls a little further, etc. etc, till he is rolling right over. Fade the lure quickly & just use the hand motion, clicking & treating for rolling right over. Wait until the dog can follow your hand without hesitation before putting a verbal cue on it.