Time Out?

I just finished a training session with each dog, Ace appears to know that when i click, a treat is coming. Mishka is still utterly clueless lol

It's one of the simplest forms of learning necessary for survival so I'm pretty sure Mishka is getting it. A couple of things: 1. the only way to know if Mishka is getting it is if you see more of the behaviours you click (e.g she tries something again); 2. sometimes dogs don't appear interested in treats because they are highly distracted, or too anxious to eat.

Ahh, maybe she doesnt have that much interest in the treat then? maybe shes bored of it? she only gets treats from her dog food Science diet i think its called, and i cant really tempt her with the more enticing things like little pieces of meat or anything because shes very sensitive and theres a lot of foods that actually make her quite sick.

the video i watched said that if your dog gets it, they'll hear the click then look for the treat. But is, I was sitting thinking over what to do with her and i had my hand out and she put her paw there, so i thought shake would be neat to teach her and clicked as her paw went there and treated, and then she would put her paw there again and so forth.. before she did it on command, Im going to guess thats the sign she gets it? a little more subtle than Ace was.

Most dogs will look for the treat, but the only reliable diagnostic is that they repeat the behaviour - which is good, because that's the whole point of rewarding it! So that's all that really matters.

Put aside half or more of her meals for training or to put into a treat dispensing toy so that meals become part of her mental stimulation. We've all got to work for food!

ahh yes, they have a treat ball that they love (even when its only got 1 little piece of kibble in it) xDD i'll start using that more

Ace needed something different during training, i used tiny bits of cheese, and he really put in %100 it was nice, it was a realyl relaxing session.

Thankyou everyone for your responses, its appreciated :)

i have to look into getting a crate. well two, a few people have mentioned crate training now for several different issues, so next week i'll head down to the pet store and price them.

as far as distracting him from the bad behavior with a toy, it did make him do more, but i didnt give him my scolding noise which what for for my is a firm 'aye' kind of noise, i dont know how to write it out realy xD

i think it could be also kind of a lack of exercise at the moment as im recovering from health issues, but i am hoping to very soon get back into their daily walks.

im trying to train them every day, but ike ive said earlier, Ace seems very dis-interested in his sessions lately. right now im going to try and focus on getting them set up for clicker training, they arent understanding it. ive been told 'click, give treat' until they associate the click with a treat, but they arent getting it lol

I do disinfect the mattress then flip it, but i think somehow the smell lingers, i think i need to look up stuff that removes the odor, both from the bed, and floorboards.

I'll try the suggestion of my scolding noise, then redirecting his attention onto something positive. i like that approach, i want to try and really limit the punishments they get where possible.

Having them out in the lounge isnt always possible, i live with someone elderly and he sometimes trips her up, and he likes to 'bully' the cat xDD hes just trying to play, but she really isnt interested, so he tries to push it as much as he can and i dont want her scratching his eyes.

Sorry...I havn't been in here for a few days & havn't read all the thread....but did you read that article that I sent you on clicker training :) If so, & you followed it, then he should be getting it after one small session if you are doing it right. Some dogs don't even need that first step or "charging the clicker", but I always like to do it. Have you read the article ???

if you're strapped for cash the cheapest crates I've found are online...

http://www.crazysales.com.au/buy-pet-supplies/dog-supplies/dog-cages?aid=27&gclid=CMaOgcGrj74CFdckvQodIbIA9A

I think we paid about $50 for ours and the exact same one is at our local pet store on sale for $120 :eek:

With your little terrors terriers you probably want to get a smaller one for each dog :)

We have a Bengo Crate from Ebay, No problems at all for our Jack Russell. They need to be trained to love it, look at u-tube for ideas on crate games, Jingo loves his, and chooses to sleep there with the door open, but when we travel it is invaluable as he can be locked in.

Vinegar diluteds is a great cleaner too, and works just as well as custom amde ones, and is way cheaper.

Di

Sorry...I havn't been in here for a few days & havn't read all the thread....but did you read that article that I sent you on clicker training :) If so, & you followed it, then he should be getting it after one small session if you are doing it right. Some dogs don't even need that first step or "charging the clicker", but I always like to do it. Have you read the article ???

I did, it was very helpful, changed how i get them used to the clicker, and had way better responses than when i used the method i saw on youtube :D

if you're strapped for cash the cheapest crates I've found are online...

http://www.crazysale...CFdckvQodIbIA9A

I think we paid about $50 for ours and the exact same one is at our local pet store on sale for $120 :eek:

With your little terrors terriers you probably want to get a smaller one for each dog :)

thanks, i took a look, and showed my housemates, and theyre under the impression that its cruel somehow >__>

We have a Bengo Crate from Ebay, No problems at all for our Jack Russell. They need to be trained to love it, look at u-tube for ideas on crate games, Jingo loves his, and chooses to sleep there with the door open, but when we travel it is invaluable as he can be locked in.

Vinegar diluteds is a great cleaner too, and works just as well as custom amde ones, and is way cheaper.

Di

ooh, i have an ebay account, i'll check out both sites and compare prices, my only issue is i dont know what size to get for them. i dont want it to be too big that they'll use it as a bathroom, but i dont want them to cramped in either..

Shadrack - I will suggest you leave ANY more planning on training methods until you have spoken with the professional of your choice.

You may not need crates - X method may be not the most effective ...

An assessment of the whole situation , and suggestions from the professional will give you a MUCH clearer idea of what plans to make :)

Shadrack - I will suggest you leave ANY more planning on training methods until you have spoken with the professional of your choice.

You may not need crates - X method may be not the most effective ...

An assessment of the whole situation , and suggestions from the professional will give you a MUCH clearer idea of what plans to make :)

thanks, i wont be able to afford a crate until after i see a professional anyway, being a student, i have to prioritize what comes first, i refuse to go into my savings as thats for vet emergencies, and while this is important, life saving vet procedures in my mind is more important for that money, even though it may or may not happen, better to be safe than sorry lol.

I will say, that thankyou for all the help, Surprisingly Mishka has excelled with Clicker training way more than i thought she would, i think my voice distracted her somehow, with the clicker she has two new tricks in the making as with the clcker its way easier to reward something that they just do randmonly.

Shake is well on the way and moving away from being treat orientated, and her newest one is Bow, it doesnt have a verbal cue yet, its just me tapping the ground with two fingers :D

:) sounds fun!

it was, Mishka has a tendancy to bow anyway (she stretches alot) so ive had a lot of people tell me thats its really good to keep her mind active, and someone on youtube ive really been following like to let his dog to a point figure out what he wants from him using the clicker, so i tried the same method with Mishka, first just clicking when she stretched while we where having a play, then treating, then i started bringing in that id tap on the ground, now shes doing it pretty consistently but theres no verbal cue yet.

With the clicker, shes learning things so much faster :D im so proud of her <3 i took a video that im planning on putting on yourtube, i might post it in the videos section :D or in this thread

it was, Mishka has a tendancy to bow anyway (she stretches alot) so ive had a lot of people tell me thats its really good to keep her mind active, and someone on youtube ive really been following like to let his dog to a point figure out what he wants from him using the clicker, so i tried the same method with Mishka, first just clicking when she stretched while we where having a play, then treating, then i started bringing in that id tap on the ground, now shes doing it pretty consistently but theres no verbal cue yet.

With the clicker, shes learning things so much faster :D im so proud of her <3 i took a video that im planning on putting on yourtube, i might post it in the videos section :D or in this thread

:thumbsup: bow can sometimes be a hard one to teach. My dog kept dropping her backside all the time, but when the light bulb went on, it was like...."look at me...I can bow" :laugh: I've been working on "reverse circle around handler" She kept getting stuck halfway around instead of completing the circle. Then I tried back chaining it & now it's her most offered behavior. But I am not clicking her for it unless I cued it now. My dogs just love their fun with the clicker just before bed...it has become a night time ritual :laugh: I am so happy for you :)

:thumbsup: bow can sometimes be a hard one to teach. My dog kept dropping her backside all the time, but when the light bulb went on, it was like...."look at me...I can bow" :laugh: I've been working on "reverse circle around handler" She kept getting stuck halfway around instead of completing the circle. Then I tried back chaining it & now it's her most offered behavior. But I am not clicking her for it unless I cued it now. My dogs just love their fun with the clicker just before bed...it has become a night time ritual :laugh: I am so happy for you :)

I'd heard it was a hard one to teach, and i honestly didnt plan on teaching it to Mishka, but she does it randomly and tonight during her training she did it, so i decided to take the opportunity to click, and using the method where i gave her guidance, but instead of helping her get the position right, letting her figure it out on her own, she really enjoyed it and kept focused as well as actively doing behaviours, then once she got the click for it a few times, repeating it until the gesture of me tapping the floor was put in, and i think i had just as much fun watching her go through that process! haha. ive also learnt about her to break up her training session with random plays with her favourite toy and making her do what she knows for it, keeps her attention for a lot longer, she keeps her attention longer with the clicker too! im so glad she moved on from her fear of it.

ooh, the circle around the handler, mishka starting learning that at puppy school, its fun! but dont you get dizzy? lol i used to always get dizzy when coaxing her around with a treat, oh i havent tried training sessions just before bed, it actually might help them settle at night, right now they think its annoy mum time and play tug-o-war with her hair :p Do you find yours settle better at night after a goodnight session?

I'd heard it was a hard one to teach, and i honestly didnt plan on teaching it to Mishka, but she does it randomly and tonight during her training she did it, so i decided to take the opportunity to click, and using the method where i gave her guidance, but instead of helping her get the position right, letting her figure it out on her own, she really enjoyed it and kept focused as well as actively doing behaviours, then once she got the click for it a few times, repeating it until the gesture of me tapping the floor was put in, and i think i had just as much fun watching her go through that process! haha. ive also learnt about her to break up her training session with random plays with her favourite toy and making her do what she knows for it, keeps her attention for a lot longer, she keeps her attention longer with the clicker too! im so glad she moved on from her fear of it.

ooh, the circle around the handler, mishka starting learning that at puppy school, its fun! but dont you get dizzy? lol i used to always get dizzy when coaxing her around with a treat, oh i havent tried training sessions just before bed, it actually might help them settle at night, right now they think its annoy mum time and play tug-o-war with her hair :p Do you find yours settle better at night after a goodnight session?

They have a nightly ritual. They are so funny especially the young one. When he gets excited he hides, usually tucked away in his kennel. He does this at night when he knows I am getting their dinner ready. Last night he heard me playing clicker with my girl inside before dinner & when I went to find him he had hidden in a different spot. He's not scared...he just does it to self control his excitement. Anyway, usually the ritual is she comes inside & gets fed & he is fed on the verandah. When they are finished, I do some clicker training with her & meanwhile he is working out how to get the door open. Once he's worked that out & lets himself in, I tie her to the leg of the lounge & do some clicker with him. Then I let her off & we go through a heap of fun stuff with them working in unison (no clicker for this). Then it's outside for a wee, then back inside & they go straight to their beds for their cookie. If I break the ritual, like if I am too tired, they make me feel so guilty. :( I do several sessions with her during the day if I can, cause we are learning Canine Freestyle. ATM with the agility, I am clicking her for showing enthusiasm at the end of a run...ie I click when I raise my arms in the air & she jumps into the air in joy hoping this will stop her just running off to the scribes tent at the end of a run :laugh: With the "back around handler" you start by getting them to offer good heel position, then keep heel position with you as you pivot away from them...small steps at first & they have to keep focused on your face. Once you have the heel pivot going, you can start to shape any movement around you backwards. You need to be in a tight corner so the dog turns into you & keeps contact with your legs. Some people use a round barrier to keep them in tight, but this didn't work for me, she just kept crashing into the barrier.

They have a nightly ritual. They are so funny especially the young one. When he gets excited he hides, usually tucked away in his kennel. He does this at night when he knows I am getting their dinner ready. Last night he heard me playing clicker with my girl inside before dinner & when I went to find him he had hidden in a different spot. He's not scared...he just does it to self control his excitement. Anyway, usually the ritual is she comes inside & gets fed & he is fed on the verandah. When they are finished, I do some clicker training with her & meanwhile he is working out how to get the door open. Once he's worked that out & lets himself in, I tie her to the leg of the lounge & do some clicker with him. Then I let her off & we go through a heap of fun stuff with them working in unison (no clicker for this). Then it's outside for a wee, then back inside & they go straight to their beds for their cookie. If I break the ritual, like if I am too tired, they make me feel so guilty. :( I do several sessions with her during the day if I can, cause we are learning Canine Freestyle. ATM with the agility, I am clicking her for showing enthusiasm at the end of a run...ie I click when I raise my arms in the air & she jumps into the air in joy hoping this will stop her just running off to the scribes tent at the end of a run :laugh: With the "back around handler" you start by getting them to offer good heel position, then keep heel position with you as you pivot away from them...small steps at first & they have to keep focused on your face. Once you have the heel pivot going, you can start to shape any movement around you backwards. You need to be in a tight corner so the dog turns into you & keeps contact with your legs. Some people use a round barrier to keep them in tight, but this didn't work for me, she just kept crashing into the barrier.

aww, he hides? thats so cute! Mishka just jumps around everywhere! but she stopped peeing when shes excited so thats a positive haha.I'll have to teach mine the heel position, but it'll have to be tomorrow now, Mishka had her exceptional training session, since im utterly hopeless at completely focusing on one thing, and she tends to get bored of it that way anyway, and she seems to really enjoy figuring out what it is im asking of her, so she learnt the basis of hi-5. :) so tomorrow im sure she'll enjoy learning how to stay at the heel position. do i start with standing still or should i try a little bit of walking? just to start her out?

How do you get them workiing in unisen o.o Mine just jump all over each other and then distract each other

Edited by Shadrack

Start by getting her to stand still while YOU move around into the various heel positions Left, right & front positions, clicking for her standing still & focusing on your eyes. If she wont stand still ( I had to give mine a "wait" command till she cottoned on) you can get her to put her two front feet on a sturdy platform (low box). This is called "heel positions while stationary". And you keep training this till she will focus on you for up to 10 seconds, but vary your click. Start out small, first click is for looking at you, then maybe click at 2 sec, then 4, then 1, then 6 etc. If you get my drift. & you can put your verbal cue on the positions while she is stationary. Don't be in a rush & start in a distraction free evironment, gradually building up distractions & practicing in different rooms, places etc. till you have a really good focus. Try to put your treat bag out of sight, like behind your back & also your clicker maybe in your pocket, so these things don't become the "cue". It doesn't matter if it takes you a couple of seconds after you click to deliver the treat. If she moves out of position before you treat, just direct her back into position for the treat. Click for precision, treat in position.

Start by getting her to stand still while YOU move around into the various heel positions Left, right & front positions, clicking for her standing still & focusing on your eyes. If she wont stand still ( I had to give mine a "wait" command till she cottoned on) you can get her to put her two front feet on a sturdy platform (low box). This is called "heel positions while stationary". And you keep training this till she will focus on you for up to 10 seconds, but vary your click. Start out small, first click is for looking at you, then maybe click at 2 sec, then 4, then 1, then 6 etc. If you get my drift. & you can put your verbal cue on the positions while she is stationary. Don't be in a rush & start in a distraction free evironment, gradually building up distractions & practicing in different rooms, places etc. till you have a really good focus. Try to put your treat bag out of sight, like behind your back & also your clicker maybe in your pocket, so these things don't become the "cue". It doesn't matter if it takes you a couple of seconds after you click to deliver the treat. If she moves out of position before you treat, just direct her back into position for the treat. Click for precision, treat in position.

ahh yes, Mishka has a lot of trouble with stay, thats a command she is really struggling to learn although, i havent tried it with the cicker yet, and shes doing so well with it it just might work,the puppy school i had taken to even had trouble gettin her to stay lol and not having her know i have the treats will be a challenge, she is soo treat focused at the moment, i dont have her attention unless theres treats involved, whatver she smells is so much more interesting xD its something im planning on getting the proffesional trainer to help with when they call me back lol

How are you getting on with them?

oh wow sorry did not see that you'd replied haha.

Thanks for asking :D i actually uploading a video or two of Mishka's progress since re-trying the clicker, shes doing really well, Ace is still being stubborn, but i have a proffessional trainer coming out on wednesday, so he'll be able to give me some good advice

i put the video in the photo bit where it has a thing for videos :D

Edited by Shadrack

MIshka is going great :thumbsup: & is clearly enjoying it. Now that you have her lifting one leg for "shake" or "high 5", get her lifting the other leg, then she can "mark time". I put the cues "hip" & "hop" on it after it is taught & cue it with me lifting one foot then the other facing her. :) Too cute, my two are almost getting to do it together, but the young guy needs a bit more practice to get his timing right :laugh:

MIshka is going great :thumbsup: & is clearly enjoying it. Now that you have her lifting one leg for "shake" or "high 5", get her lifting the other leg, then she can "mark time". I put the cues "hip" & "hop" on it after it is taught & cue it with me lifting one foot then the other facing her. :) Too cute, my two are almost getting to do it together, but the young guy needs a bit more practice to get his timing right :laugh:

Oh wow, that sounds like it would look really neat! a great show off to the friends haha! i'll have to start that once shes got shake and hi-5 down pat :D i hope shes enjoying her training sessions, she earns her dinner through training now instead of just being fed in a bowel, it really seems to help.