Help! My Stafford Is Pregnant

tesslc

:) Weaning is easy - in a couple more weeks -feed bitch less - exercise her more ..and leave her outside when you give puppies meaty bones on which to suck/chew. Gradually introduce some good dry puppy food (no need to soak - and no need for milk) ,,and more MEATY bones , like chicken wings /lamb ribs .provide a heavy and small container with water in ......

They will still get most of their food from Mum ..but gradually they will nurse less,eat more ..and , with a reduced diet, and more exercise, Mum will produce less milk , and enjoy her time away :) No need to hurry it , or make it sudden . Our bitches/pups seem to sort it out nicely themselves - we have never had any dramas , saggy boobs , or very dependent pups , luckily :)

Our girl is already spending a lot more time out of the room - we have to sit in the room with her to feed whenever we are home. Thankfully she is still happy to sleep in there at night but I don't think it will be too much longer and she'll want to give that away too. Which means wake up calls for me :(

Our breeder is going to give me some tips on what they do as well. Just re exercise - we haven't started walking our girl again but I was going to take her out this afternoon - should I leave it for now? I don't want her milk production to dip!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walking won't make her milk dry - less sucking from the pups will :)

how old are the pups? I would be VERY careful about where you take her , in case she brings nasties back on her feet . perhaps she can do more training/interactive play etc in the yard to exercise her a bit?

Edited by persephone

With two pups you really don't need to think or worry about weaning until the pups are getting on for four weeks old.

Yes, mum will spend more time away from the pups, this is perfectly normal. She needs to have the option of being near the pups but not in the box, so fix her up somewhere comfy.

Our bitches aren't walked until the pups are at least 9 or 10 weeks old. She shouldn't be out on the streets, running the risk of bringing random infections back to the pups (not necessarily anything as bad as Parvo)

Wean on to protein IMO, highest quality human-grade mince you can find, I start with beef. No cereal until they're fully used to meat. One meal the size of a marble first day, two meals the same size the next day, then see how they go. IMO variety is essential from as soon as they are coping with solid food.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

A quick update - all is well we have been giving them solids for a week now but the last two days they have really taken to them and are looking for solids more than milk from mum.

My only problem is this - our boy (who is now allowed in the room) had a tick on him today, which I stupidly pulled off him and accidentally dropped and lost on the floor in the puppy room. We don't have paralysis ticks here, only brown cattle ticks and they are few and far between. This is the first tick I've seen on our dogs for about 6 mths. But I'm worried it might find its way onto one of the pups. I am planning on checking them morning and night but I'm worried it might make them sick?? Any ideas??

Edited by tesslc