What Needs To Be Done

Ok so what can someone do if they are sold a dog from a rescue that was advertised as desexed and is now pregnant. They are pretty upset but is there really anything they can do? Is there anywhere he can report this too? I am going to offer to help with either desexing while pregnant or at least help him get the pups and mom desexed asap and help him place the pups into good homes. What else should he do? Can he demand the rescue pay for the desexing since really he has already paid for it by adopting the dog? if he does demand it is there any chance the rescue can take the dog and puppies away from him?

Has the pregnancy been confirmed by ultrasound? Are you sure it's not a phantom?

Has the rescue group been informed?

Was the dog rehomed in NSW? Is it registered? To be registered as a desexed dog a certificate should have been provided.

Edited by ~Anne~

Guest Ams

First thing get the dog desexed so there are no puppies to worry about. Send a letter of demand to the rescue with a copy of the spey invoice for reimbursement. If he has paperwork ie desex cert that says dog was desexed then contact the clinic and confirm the paperwork belongs to the bitch and the rescue hasn't done a dodgy. There is a fine line between mistake and fraud.

One of my dogs (as a pup) came to me as desexed but the paperwork was lost at the time of adoption so I accepted that and waited patiently for it to arrive. Many inquiries later I finally got a desex certificate and a short time later a testicle dropped. I rang the rescue and also their vet. Vet admmitted to having issued a certificate knowing she hadn't desexed the pup as it was chryptorchid and the rescue had decided to wait and see if they dropped. Rescue said they had simply forgotten about this when dog was adopted. Fair enough.

The end story was rescue paid for very expensive surgery. Stupid thing was if I had known I would have still adopted the dog for the adoption fee but it would have been booked in for surgery sooner. I had flown interstate on a day trip to personally meet the pup and fly back with it so at that stage money wasn't a consideration. I had it to spend and would have done so. The rescue paid for the surgery because at some point they had to have realised the dog had not been desexed. I am sure the vet didn't just issue that certificate without some conversations occuring. I still believe I had been deliberately misled.

Has anyone informed the rescuer? It's good manners.

I'd wait until you find out if a vet deemed the dog as already desexed before you jump up and down. And call the rescue immediately and get a yes or no on paying the vetwork.

It could be a dodgey move or it could be an innocent mistake.

And to answer your questions:

No, there is nowhere you can report this to except possibly the pound if they are one of the ones now wanting desex certificates. And pet rescue if the dog was listed there.

No the rescue has no legal right to take the dog and pups away from the owner. None.

Yes technically he could claim expenses but if the rescue refuses it would have to go to Small Claims which is why you should try to sort it out now, in a reasonable fashion and mutually agree to terms beforehand.

Edited by Powerlegs

It would have been fairly recently adopted as the rescue is newish. I will get all the other info from the guy and tell him to contact the rescue asap and get her booked in for desexing as I really dont think we need more puppies. Yes its NSW and I assume that the dog is registered as it would have come from a pound ill ask the guy if he has relieved the paperwork yet and assure him they cant take his dog away. I am hoping this was an oversight on the rescues part or maybe some crossed wires and someone thought the dog was desexed.

Just because the dog has come from a pound does not mean it is registered. The clause 16d exemption means that rescues can take a dog from a pound in NSW and not register the dog for up to 12 months while it is with an proved foster carer.

Has the pregnancy been confirmed by someone who is qualified to assess the dog for pregnancy or is it the owner saying it is pregnant based on their own personal knowledge?

Did the dog come into heat while with the new owner?

There is so much about this situation that requires answers before anyone could offer any decent advice.

The owner should contact the rescue in question and ask them about it. That should be the first port of call. Mistakes sometimes happen and a good rescue will make what reparation they can. By asking for advice on this forum before talking to the rescue in question, you're basically making the point that they are either unethical or incompetent which is hardly fair. I'd be very upset if I were the rescue and found that instead of talking to us about the situation you chose to make a public display. If it turns out that the rescue is unethical, incompetent or unwilling to make reparation, then you might have a case for going public.

Mistakes can happen to anyone, and unless there is a consistent pattern of behaviour, chances are its a genuine error and the group will be more than happy to try and solve the problem.

If it's come via a "newish" rescue, they may not have a 16D exemption yet either...

Dog may have been surrendered to them as desexed... and they didn't double check that fact.

Depending on how long the new owner has had the dog, and how far into the pregnancy it is... everything is supposition right now...

PM me more details Sam... please?

T.

T I know you want to help but HC would be a nitwit to start naming this rescue at this stage.

It's as silly as starting a thread when it's obvious the rescue hasn't even been contacted.

Why? Why do we have a thread? Is it because you already don't like this group/individual involved and people will ask you via PM?

If it's a newer rescue, then I'd just like to know for curiosity's sake.

I'd like to know more details about the situation - as per the other questions I've asked - again, for curiosity's sake... hence asking for PM replies.

T.

Please get him to contact the rescue group himself. One of my foster cats was desexed before adoption as an adult and I have photos of her shaved belly and stitches as well as the vet certificate but I found out third hand she had been taken to another vet after coming into season more than once and was opened up again and they found an ovary. My vet could not explain how this had occurred as the technique that they use involves removal of both ovaries whilst attached to the uterine horns. The owner was reimbursed for the second desexing.

I have told him to contact the rescue and we will go from there. He is very upset and wants to close them down but I think we just need to difuse the situation and get the dog attended to asap is 6 weeks to far along to abort if I can talk him into that?

They whelp around 63 days so a spay now would mean recognisable pups and some people struggle with that. But if he has no experience and nobody to hold his hand, and isn't financial enough to do vet checkups on mum, whelp, raise a healthy litter and worm/chip/desex and rehome them appropriately then a spay/abort is what should be done, no matter how squeamish it may make him.

Why did he not do anything when she came in heat? Or start seeking help from the rescue 6wks ago?? She could have been desexed when those pups were just jellybeans and he wouldn't be complaining about it now. :confused: This story makes NO sense.

So is this new group using their own clause or someone else's? If you get no resolution then you need to get the clause holder involved.

Agree that it makes no sense. That's possibly because we are only receiving tidbits of info though. We don't even know how long he may have had the dog for.

Sounds like a load of unnecessary and possibly unwarranted drama.

They whelp around 63 days so a spay now would mean recognisable pups and some people struggle with that. But if he has no experience and nobody to hold his hand, and isn't financial enough to do vet checkups on mum, whelp, raise a healthy litter and worm/chip/desex and rehome them appropriately then a spay/abort is what should be done, no matter how squeamish it may make him.

Why did he not do anything when she came in heat? Or start seeking help from the rescue 6wks ago?? She could have been desexed when those pups were just jellybeans and he wouldn't be complaining about it now. :confused: This story makes NO sense.

So is this new group using their own clause or someone else's? If you get no resolution then you need to get the clause holder involved.

I have no clue why he let it go this far :( I am waiting to hear back and I am hoping that he will take my offer to desex the mom and all the pups if it comes to that. I am hoping he will let us help him rehome the pups because the last thing we need is even more dogs landing in pounds. They are using another groups but not sure the clause holder will care TBH Ill get another message sent to reiterate they need to contact the rescue ASAP and get this sorted I think he may have been worried that they would take the dog but from what I can tell the dog was sent to Victoria so I doubt they would go to the lengths of taking the dog.

Agree that it makes no sense. That's possibly because we are only receiving tidbits of info though. We don't even know how long he may have had the dog for.

Sounds like a load of unnecessary and possibly unwarranted drama.

I just wanted to know if there was anything that should or could be done. seems there isnt any laws being broken so now Ill just focus on trying to help this guy if the rescue wont or cant. Thank you all for the help.

HappyCamper, do you have a mentor?

I've read various threads and it seems you've been striving to help in the way of rescuing and fostering for some time. I know that sometimes your eagerness and the fact you are very green has sent you off track and you experienced some major conflicts. The fact you aren't sure of laws surrounds companions animals is going to be a huge and ongoing stumbling block for you as well.

A mentor would be good as you could immediately ask the mentor these kinds of questions. It might save some unnecessary future conflict and problems.

Just a suggestion. I know it's really none of my business. :)