Dental Kibble

Hi all,

I just want to start by saying that I am not looking for suggestions of bones, treats or toothbrushes that will aid dental health. My dog can't have bones of any description and I have tried the rest. I am wanting to know who here feeds either Royal Canin Dental or Hills TD? Would like to hear your experiences. I am looking to add a dental kibble to my dog's existing diet (and in conjunction with healthy dental treats which are already fed) but not use it as a sole diet. Royal canin is a brand I trust, I am not a huge fan of Hills or it's ingredients but have only really heard about people using the TD. My dog's teeth have minor tartar build up, nothing alarming but I am wanted to add something that may help with dental health since bones aren't an option for this dog and my vet agrees.

I'm not a huge fan of Hills either, but I was feeding it for a while after my girl developed stones and the vet recommended the swap.

I've since swapped back to my preferred food, but for a while I was mixing Hills Oral care in with her normal food, rather than getting the T/D from the vet. From what I've heard from customers who have come in looking for T/D, the Oral care is smaller, but still a decent size.

I use the Hills dental dry but its not TD from the vet its from the pet shop.

Its big pieces even though mine are toys they manage it fine. I mix a couple of them in with normal size dry. No stomach upsets at all but I can't say it stops tartar build up completely. Oldies here have needed a dental sometimes.

Some get it no matter what or despite all the things you do for prevention.

Its big pieces even though mine are toys they manage it fine. I mix a couple of them in with normal size dry. No stomach upsets at all but I can't say it stops tartar build up completely. Oldies here have needed a dental sometimes.

I can't seem to find an online store that stocks Hills Dental Dry. I can only find T/D. Can you point me in the right direction please Christina.

Have you tried adding seaweed/kelp powder? It is supposed to help with softening tartar. PlaqueOff is basically dried seaweed (afaik).

In my case, Yes. My older dogs have been on this product for years but they still develop plaque.

When they were able to have daily raw meaty bones their teeth stayed sparkling clean. They can no longer have bones for health reasons.

My vet suggested adding a few pieces of Hills T/D into my dogs' food each day to clean the teeth a bit and avoid getting a dental (they get bones too but they don't seem to make much difference) I noticed their teeth definitely improved a lot on the T/D and they loved the biscuits, thought they were treats. They were much cleaner after using them for a few weeks.

Just as a thought, have you looked at Advance Dental? It is available for both small and large breeds and a number of our customers have found it made a big difference and was well tolerated. Should be available in most pet supplies stores and you may be able to get a sample pack to trial first.

Sags

:)

Thanks very much for all of the replies :)

Plaque off may be good but because we have a few dogs that drink quite a lot each day I don't think it would be as cost effective as adding a few bits of dental kibble to the dog who can't have bones dinner.

Pie, that is great feedback thank you!

Sags, the Advance Dental comes in a huge bag and because I only want to add a few pieces into the current food each day I think it would last me years.

Have you tried bully sticks? They are a great chew that will help clean the teeth and there is no bone in them. Frozen carrot is also good for cleaning teeth.

Also Sunday Pets dog food comes in a briquette shape that needs chewing so that might be another option to consider.

I went and purchased a bag of RC Dental today. Mixed results. 2 dogs chew it and the dog I really wanted it for inhales it and he is only a small breed! Does anyone know if the TD bits are larger?

I can't seem to find an online store that stocks Hills Dental Dry. I can only find T/D. Can you point me in the right direction please Christina.

I get it from Pets Domain here in SA or Grand Champion used to order it in for me.

Try phoning Hills & ask them about obtaining it closer to home phone 1800 679 932.

The vet told me to give 5-6 pieces a day and it made a remarkable difference to their teeth - I was doubtful in the beginning but it really did work for them