What Breed?

Lloyd

not sure about borders and kelpies but I used to work for an car auction place doing car detailing. We got the ex cops cars and the backs of the K9 units were completely covered in GSD hair and slopper, it was pretty gross

Did you ever check the windows?

:eek: :eek:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this ones getting a bit long, I will start a new one about the same topic. :D How do I lock a topic?

Noooo- YOU cannot lock a thread - and it's not "long", until it gets to around 100 pages :p :p

it is MUCH easier to keep everything in the one spot - for everyone :)

oh- and there is also this:rule 17

<li>Only start a new topic ONCE in the appropriate forum

For example, if you have something for sale or have lost your dog, there is a forum set up for those purposes. Whilst we understand your topic may be important, if everyone posted their topic in multiple forums, it would soon become annoying and confusing.

Ok this ones getting a bit long, I will start a new one about the same topic. :D How do I lock a topic?

Noooo- YOU cannot lock a thread - and it's not "long", until it gets to around 100 pages :p :p

it is MUCH easier to keep everything in the one spot - for everyone :)

oh- and there is also this:rule 17

<li>Only start a new topic ONCE in the appropriate forum

For example, if you have something for sale or have lost your dog, there is a forum set up for those purposes. Whilst we understand your topic may be important, if everyone posted their topic in multiple forums, it would soon become annoying and confusing.

ok

I think I will go with the Border Collie!

I think a Border Collie could be a very good match for your circumstances, keeping in mind that you will have to learn to train it properly or the dog will train you. As a general rule, the bitches cope better at home alone than the males, while the owner works but there are exceptions. Most can be kept in with normal rural dog proof fencing but they are all capable of scaling a 7' fence if they decide they want out so you have to be prepared to have an enclosed run if necessary for when the dog is alone. There is a wide variety of temperaments and activity levels in the breed and even within the same litter, so be totally honest with the breeder you choose about the type of dog you want and be prepared to wait for the right match for your circumstances. The parents of all puppies should be hip and elbow scored and DNA tested for CL, TNS and CEA as a minimum of health testing. Avoid anyone who wants to charge more for certain colours. They should all be the same price. Avoid anyone who wants to definitely allocate a puppy to you before about 6 weeks when temperaments can be assessed. Prices range up to about $1200 at the moment from the best breeders, so you shouldn't need to pay more than that for a puppy from fully health tested parents.

Whichever dog breed you choose - it HAS to be safely contained at all times - if your fencing is "reasonably" dog proof ... that is an invitation to disasters of all sorts - especially with an active working breed, and a novice owner - yes, you are a 'babe in teh woods' here - watching training , and having dogs be friendly to you is SO different to being tired/having a young keen dog/having the responsibility of not ever allowing your dog to be a danger to itself or others.

I like the idea of a run - just as long as you realise what a dog is capable of ;) jumping/climbing 6' fences..digging almost a metre underground to make tunnels ....and a dog left alone ,and bored, has plenty of time to think of ways to have "fun" (in dog ways )

Don't be in a hurry to get this new family member - take time to thoroughly research the breed - you're off to a good start :)

have you read pages like these ? While not every philosophy or method suits us all - there is something to enjoy and learn in any piece of writing :) have fun!

LINK

LINK