An Update On Abby Our Miniature Schnauzer

Hi everyone, I thought I would share the small Inroads we have made with Abby since my earlier posts. We are still seeing Steve C in about 10 days and looking forward to whatever insights and suggestions he may have for us. On the plus side the Adaptil collar has calmed her considerably, she no linger barks or growls when our family visits and she goes up to the family for a pat. :thumbsup: she still tries to go towards other dogs when we are on walks but we refuse to stop and we keep walking and she gets over it. We just came back from holidays to a Bright and we had to sit outside cafés with her (unfortunately Australia is not as easy going as Europe for dog owners) where she would growl at people who walked passed, not everyone only some people. By the end of the holiday if someone was walking by I would say her name make her look at me and give her a treat until the person walked passed. She knows this now and is somewhat better. She is still a Velcro dog but. From what I read that is in keeping with her breed.

So thanks to all of you for your support when she was in her extreme state. We are all looking forward to our meeting with Steve because I sam sure we still have heaps to learn. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

great to hear badbee!

not sure if you know you can hold onto the 'excess' of the adapti collar after you cut to fit, keep it in its original packaging in an air tight bag or container.

sew the excess bits together, makes them more affordable :)

That's great. Particularly the looking at you when scary stuff is around. Eventually she'll look forward to scary stuff and tell you she needs a treat. That's when you do the dance of happiness because she knows the game and is confident playing it. Enjoy your Steve consult, you'll find it very useful.

Edited by hankdog

Well we saw Steve on Thursday and what a great experience. My OH and I walked out of Steves feeling so much better. We have been doing the tight thing and the suggestions Steve made were manageable and easy to follow. To start with we have bought her a soft sided crate for her to go into during the day to give her some independence and a place we she can settle herself. She is asleep in there at the moment. We also started her on Petark Calm and have taken her off kangaroo mince as according to Steve it is a high protein food and she would be better off on chicken, beef etc. We have also begun to train her to sit on a small mat where we treat her when she sits a relaxes. We will take that with us when we go out to cafés etc and hope that by continuing to treat her when she is on it she looks to us and ignores the distractions around her. So all in all there is not too much and this is a very simplified version of what we are doing. She already seems more settled but that might also be because I feel more confident I am doing the right thing by her.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO SUGGESTED STEVE HE IS SUCH A WISE MAN. :) :laugh:

wow! great update!

(i used to feed my dogs kangaroo meat too, until i learned that when they shoot the kangaroos they spray them with massive amounts of preservatives/chemicals to stop it rotting because the dead kangaroo will sit out in the paddock for a week or two. yuck! all those preservatives can't be good for dogs!)

wow! great update!

(i used to feed my dogs kangaroo meat too, until i learned that when they shoot the kangaroos they spray them with massive amounts of preservatives/chemicals to stop it rotting because the dead kangaroo will sit out in the paddock for a week or two. yuck! all those preservatives can't be good for dogs!)

I don't know where you were buying / obtaining kangaroo meat from, but I source mine from an ethical supplier who obtains his roo meat from an abbatoir. It certainly has not been sprayed with preservatives or chemicals & is transported under refrigeration.

wow! great update!

Not sure where that info came from ! It is almost laughable , considering the logistics.

We used to be in the kangaroo business(pet and human consumption) - In both cases ,roos were shot at night only , field dressed - and placed, before daylight,in a chiller where temps were a tad above freezing . They were then transported in refrigerated trucks to the processing plant .

We saw Steve about 10 days ago and he gave us some insight into her problems that we hadn't thought of. He also suggested some easy to do training and advice. First we bought a Crate for her to have inside to help her to self settle. That has worked really well. He also suggested we give her Petark Calm each day and that together with the collar has certainly made a difference, he gave me some training exercises to get her to focus on me when we are out and we are practising that. As for the kangaroo mince it was a human grade mince had no preservatives and I bought it in Coles Steve suggested it was too high in protein for Abby, and suggested beef. Chicken or lamb so we have stopped the kangaroo and gone to the other meats. I said to my husband today that on a scale of 1 to 10 she would have been a 3 /10 six weeks ago she is now a 7/10, so we have come a long way and we are still working on improvement.

I am grateful for everyone's suggestions and so pleased we went to see Steve.

A final comment about the kangaroo. Mince - my son has two golden retrievers very active dogs who eat anything funnily they refuse to set kangaroo. :thumbsup:

Edited by Badbee

Glad to hear she is going so well. Well done on perservering and looking for answers :)

There seem to be a lot of dogs who love it and a lot who can't tolerate it. It's a great high protein, low fat meat for the right dogs though.

Yep I have had dogs it has gone straight through, and my dogs now do really well on it because it is high in protein and has little to no fat :)