Mentoring Program Tackles High Veterinarian Suicide Rate

trinabean

I am not surprised by this but was unaware. Makes me feel guilty for not showing more appreciation.

Mosts of the vets I've used have a bulletin board or equivalent on which they post thank you notes and little stories about how their pets are doing.

It seems like the contributions to these have gotten leaner in recent years.. I don't know if that's compensated by Facebook, Twitter, etc., but I sort of doubt it.

Maybe more of us should take the time to provide an occasional bright light in our vet's day by sending a thankyou note of some sort.

Edited by sandgrubber

Maybe more of us should take the time to provide an occasional bright light in our vet's day by sending a thankyou note of some sort.

Please do. I have every (personally addressed, not a thankyou to the practice) card that I have been given tucked away in a box. I pull it out occasionally when I've had a bad day and someone or something has made me feel awful. I do remember each of the patients too, and I have a collection of photos to go with the special notes. As much as I appreciate these tokens, they are mostly for patients that I have euthanased, some after a long course of illness, some that I had never seen before the day. It would be just as nice to get a card with a silly photo just for taking care of your pet after a routine surgery :o

this is a shock to me! Like so many have already said, I had no idea. :( that's terrible Teebs, I'm sorry to read about your vet. :(

We perhaps tend to think we pay our money for services rendered and that's the end of it as far as the vet is concerned, but I hadn't considered it could take such a toll on them.

A few years ago I made a calendar for my vet with all his clients (of mine) that he's treated. He loved it. I think I need to make another to thank him and let him know how much I appreciate him, he's only young and works so hard. He lost all his possessions in the Black Saturday fires but continued to work through it never charging any of the victims.

He sounds amazing, Kirislin, and probably the sort of person you need to keep an eye on, because he is dealing with everyone else's pain and neglecting his own. Perhaps. Big assumption on my part, but . . .

My previous vet was wonderful (my new one is nice but I haven't really developed a strong bond as such) as she supported us through Harley's surgeries. We gave her a lovely home made card and a stethoscope that she was talking about in a previous conversation. I had it engraved with her name and my dogs names. She moved to Queensland, and we were sad to see her go.

I have so much respect for the vets and the vet nurses that I have met, there's no way I could do their job.

What a lovely and thoughtful gift Harley.

Please do. I have every (personally addressed, not a thankyou to the practice) card that I have been given tucked away in a box. I pull it out occasionally when I've had a bad day and someone or something has made me feel awful. I do remember each of the patients too, and I have a collection of photos to go with the special notes. As much as I appreciate these tokens, they are mostly for patients that I have euthanased, some after a long course of illness, some that I had never seen before the day. It would be just as nice to get a card with a silly photo just for taking care of your pet after a routine surgery :o

Thanks for posting this. I'll be remembering your words in future... and will do just as you said.

My previous vet was wonderful (my new one is nice but I haven't really developed a strong bond as such) as she supported us through Harley's surgeries. We gave her a lovely home made card and a stethoscope that she was talking about in a previous conversation. I had it engraved with her name and my dogs names. She moved to Queensland, and we were sad to see her go.

I have so much respect for the vets and the vet nurses that I have met, there's no way I could do their job.

What a lovely and thoughtful gift Harley.

Thank you, I put quite a bit of thought into it and I know she appreciated it greatly! :thumbsup:

I think of her often as she was so lovely.

With your feedback in mind Rappie, I did just this today. I took some morning tea for the vet and vet nurses and a thank you card for all that they do in caring for Bruno. Thanks for the card idea Sandgrubber, and wow Harley what a thoughtful gift you gave!

[

With your feedback in mind Rappie, I did just this today. I took some morning tea for the vet and vet nurses and a thank you card for all that they do in caring for Bruno.

There you go! Onya, trina. :)

With your feedback in mind Rappie, I did just this today. I took some morning tea for the vet and vet nurses and a thank you card for all that they do in caring for Bruno. Thanks for the card idea Sandgrubber, and wow Harley what a thoughtful gift you gave!

That's lovely! :)

May your kindness be paid back twenty fold in puppy snuggles (or kitten kisses, whatever takes your fancy) :thumbsup: