Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

The next one is up! Don't forget we are 14 hours ahead so we get the new one mid afternoon. I am doing the new one for the first time later in the day and one or two repeats the next morning.

I love the collar grab for rescue dogs! Also great for strong dogs (like Ziggy) as they rush in towards you rather than pulling away. I've done this before with my lot but played it with both at once this morning and amped up the excitement around it.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm either doing the collar grab game wrong, or Del is totally fine with it. She seems to have no qualms about it at all. I can grab it and pull her toward me and she's like 'oh yeah, give me dat food!'

TSD that must be hard when you have the cat sabotaging you! :laugh: I have such a cute picture in my head of that cat stealing the food :) so clever!

He is a right PITA but quite magnificent at the same time. I have to lock him away when I'm training the dogs or else he steals all their treats. I really want to try IYC with him but I'd need to wear metal gloves :laugh:

Some dogs don't mind the collar grab at all - but build on it by getting your dog super excited and grabbing the collar from all angles. When you add it to the Call Once game it becomes even more valuable :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

No issues with the collar grab game here, Thisbe as a pup used to back away from me when I leant over her so we'd already done a fair bit of work on that. Even managed to do some with her tugging as well.

I'm doing one session of the new exercise in the evenings, one before work in the mornings and one when I get home, then onto the next exercise that evening. Now to keep the momentum going!

Cats of Dol are saying they want to play too!

How is everyone going with the call once game?

I used the whole family, and at first Del thought on hearing her name it should be fine to just go to whoever (humans we're all the same right?) :laugh:

She got it after a couple of turns though and had fun playing :)

Em just LOVED call once with me and Mr TSD - so we put visual barriers between us to up the ante - around corners etc but nothing could phase her. Zig, on the other hand, just wanted to work with his Mum and kept offering a gorgeous heel position, bless him. I had both dogs out at once in the second session but they are used to choosing me over each other so that wasn't hard.

It's a wonderful game - the hardest thing is educating the other callers! Funnily enough everyone new to the game makes the same mistakes.

I was just telling Mr TSD about the DOL cats getting in on the action and he told me that when we were playing Call Once with Em, Dizzy positioned himself such that he could give Em a good SMACK! with his paw every time Em flew past him :rofl: Apparently Em took zero notice - ha!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Em just LOVED call once with me and Mr TSD - so we put visual barriers between us to up the ante - around corners etc but nothing could phase her. Zig, on the other hand, just wanted to work with his Mum and kept offering a gorgeous heel position, bless him. I had both dogs out at once in the second session but they are used to choosing me over each other so that wasn't hard.

It's a wonderful game - the hardest thing is educating the other callers! Funnily enough everyone new to the game makes the same mistakes.

I got everyone to practice first. We said 'doggie' and grabbed imaginary collars and fed imaginary food :D

That sounds really fun using barriers etc. I'll definitely be trying that out!

Collar grab game - when we're playing the game - she will happily shove her neck into my hand for ear rubs and treats. When she's just stolen the bread I put out to catch slugs with in the yard - it's a little bit more difficult. We did get the bread back that time, but I failed this morning (I let her out without me) - hope it's too cold here for rat-lungworm disease.

So there's a training opportunity for me - little bits of bread in the back yard its yer choice.

And we're still failing the upgraded version of IYC - where dog gets treat only if dog can pretend she's forgotten there is a treat to be had...

Not looking forward to "call once game" will have to recruit neighbours kids for that one I think.

Maybe we should pool resources and submit a DOL cat video for the next course :laugh:

TSD - Em reminds me so much of Thisbe with that perch work, with the crazy circles and barking. Loonies! Love Dizzy's investigation of the perch, and later attempted stealing of the treat. Go cat go.

Sarah's still on the collar grab game, I tried a bit of call once sans leash but she backs up as soon as I go for the collar. Might need to just leave her on a leash for the moment.

Also she won't get close enough to the OH so it's a one person one dog game for the moment.

We both played with Collie but as I've been doing the lions share of the training he decided to stick with me after a couple of calls back and forth :p . Plus OH decided to up the ante too quickly and hide behind a corner in a dark room. Come on man he's practically blind, he has his own portable visual barriers!

I forgot to ad that I've been making Collie and Sarah sit before going through doors by just waiting for them to make the right choice. They have a bad habit of rushing through and nearly knocking people over in the process :p

This morning I was letting them back inside after their morning toilet break (if it's too cold Sarah often forgoes going to the toilet and just waits in the kennel to be let back inside). Collie sat pretty quickly so I let him in and proceeded to wait for Sarah to figure it out. She was shivering and moving from side to side trying to figure it out, eventually she had an epiphany and walked up the stairs to the wet lawn and did a wee, then ran back to door expecting to be let straight in :p it only took a few more seconds before her bum touched the ground and she finally got let inside, had to laugh about her first choice though, it was a good one :D