Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

Is there a point to the Crate Games other than getting the dog to enjoy being in the crate? My dog already naturally loves the crate and stays quietly inside wherever we go - but at trials I want her to be ready and bursting out the crate wanting to work with me, not choose to stay inside at the back of the crate? Have I got it wrong? :confused:

Patience! Did you watch the video with the dogs bursting out of the crate?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are July the 3rd and I'm already way behind...

And these games just confirm how clumsy and uncoordinated I am :eek:

I've managed to "slap" Penny trying to cover a treat when she was diving for it, and did the same with my foot :(

I start every session with a closed fist, that she will mouth and paw before just sitting back and staring at it. I've been trying to deliver food when she ever so slightly glanced at me, but I can't seem to get her to back out or anything. I must be doing something wrong...

As off Will, my hand closing gently when he tries to get at the treats is enough for him to retreat back to his bed, giving up. This boy is just so soft and timid, I think the games are too much pressure for him. I'll try to persevere very slowly...

We are July the 3rd and I'm already way behind...

And these games just confirm how clumsy and uncoordinated I am :eek:

I've managed to "slap" Penny trying to cover a treat when she was diving for it, and did the same with my foot :(

I start every session with a closed fist, that she will mouth and paw before just sitting back and staring at it. I've been trying to deliver food when she ever so slightly glanced at me, but I can't seem to get her to back out or anything. I must be doing something wrong...

As off Will, my hand closing gently when he tries to get at the treats is enough for him to retreat back to his bed, giving up. This boy is just so soft and timid, I think the games are too much pressure for him. I'll try to persevere very slowly...

In IYC you want them to look at the food, not at you :) so Penny is doing just fine!

I feel really confused and frustrated by the crate games.

From the looks of it, you get most of the value once you start to use the crate in other locations (there is a bit that mentions you should do crate games in the presence of every distraction that you would need to recall your dog under.)

Well I can hardly get the crate out of our bedroom, let alone down to the local park. The crate doesn't even fit in the car. It fits in one of the cars, but once it's in, there is no room for the dog.

I think at the very least there is no way I can expect her to sit without buying a new crate as she has to duck her head a bit as it reaches the roof of the crate.

I wonder if I can get through some of the program at home, whether I could do the same by using a tie-out and a matt instead?

You could use the car as it's own crate as well, it has all the criteria.

Yes, I'll be using the car for sure as Miss E will wait without being restrained when I'm training Zig but BARK. But you can do a lot before you get to that stage in terms of distractions - lucky because I've been stuck at home without a car for 3 weeks. An ex-pen or even the Bunnings compost panels would work too. I have the latter.

fbaudry - have the dog on leash (with your foot on) - the dog doesn't get to wander off and find reinforcement somewhere else. These games will highlight your weaknesses as a trainer but that's perfectly ok. It's learning for all of us.

Remember to put the FUN in to your sessions folks! Laugh at your own mistakes and those of your dogs. Be joyous at the little achievements. Your dog will tell you how you're going and it's not a race. The journey is MUCH more important than the destination - don't worry about that ring performance. It will come as a byproduct. I'm still laughing at how Em nearly bit her tongue off during retrieving training yesterday in an attempt to suppress a squeak of frustration :laugh:

Btw how is everyone going with their record keeping?

I did a bit of searching for something that would suit me, I love using my iPhone for these things because I always have it with me

I came across an app called My Wonderful Days. It's a bit like a diary app but you can create separate notes for each day and even attach smiley faces to the note :)

Here's a screenshot of yesterday. If I click on the note it comes up with more detail, I just use the first line of the note to write the dogs name and the games that we did...

228D3A53-E4CE-453E-919F-B6B29BFFE88C_zpsqsckapic.png

Who can guess which dog did better yesterday?

Is there a point to the Crate Games other than getting the dog to enjoy being in the crate? My dog already naturally loves the crate and stays quietly inside wherever we go - but at trials I want her to be ready and bursting out the crate wanting to work with me, not choose to stay inside at the back of the crate? Have I got it wrong? :confused:

Yes, that is the whole point of Crate Games! That they will release from the crate straight to you and ready to work! What are you up to? If your dog chooses to stay in the crate when you release, you just need to look at the value. Release, wait to see their response, you can wait them out a bit, and if they don't release, close the door and try again. If they come out, have a party! This is where the changed my mind game comes in handy! I find keeping session short, fast and fun helps! I do YOYI, then release and collar grab, send back in, maybe repeat from other side or a different angle, then send them in and do changed my mind, do a few other fun fast games, send him in etc. Have you read the FAQs? Do you have the DVD?

Oh good, thank you!! I guess I will do it then. I've read the guide, read the FAQ and watched a bit of the video. Didn't want to try it yet in case I got it wrong so glad I asked here for clarification! Don't have the DVD yet cause I think they mail it out at the end of the course?

Patience! Did you watch the video with the dogs bursting out of the crate?

I only watched the first 5 - 10 minutes or so and read the guide before I started feeling very dubious about it. I should've watched it all the way!

I'm using the printed booklet. I'm doing everything "by the book" as much as I can.

Where is this printed booklet? Sorry I must be going blind! I spent an hour last night trying to navigate the site but it was all a bit confusing. I saw the bit about creating a distraction list in Excel so I've done that.

Might try a bit of the Collar grab game tonight, although it seems somewhat similiar to Fenzi's 'squishing' and we've already got that down nicely. Hoping it won't confuse things!

And do things in order - don't assume you know the game! Trust me, SG has thought these through very carefully - I have recently switched to SG agility handling system - in the beginning I was all :eek: but as it rolled out I realised how much work she had done in making it as easy as possible for the dogs.

I have done these Core Games with literally 100s of puppies and dogs and I am following the instructions step by step and learning so much!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The Record Keeping Ebook is in the Ebook Library

Also check out the Game day Schedule under the info menu. After the final critical core game is released today I'm guessing we'll have a few days to go over the games before new games start on Monday so you'll have a bit of catchup time. :)

Welcome btw silentchild, I'm following you as well

It seems we have quite the Melbourne contingency in here so I'm going to put this out now.

Is anyone interesting in catching up at some point over the course of the 9 weeks to play some games?

So much information. :hitself: Thanks so much for the help, all of you. I will have to take another close look at the site tonight.

One more stupid question, I see there is a Critical Core Assignment where you have to do like 15 to 20 recalls, and then there is the pre-course games and then there is the actual IYC, Collar Grab, Crate Games.... which ones are we supposed to do first?? I'm assuming the proper games are actually part of the course content, and is the Critical Core like an assignment to do at the end of the week?

Do we have to do all the games or can we pick and choose which one we'd like to do? There are some games I'm not sure if I'll do.

I wouldn't mind a Melbourne catch-up during the break too, although I suspect I will be very behind compared to everyone else in terms of games progress.

Edited by silentchild

So much information. :hitself: Thanks so much for the help, all of you. I will have to take another close look at the site tonight.

One more stupid question, I see there is a Critical Core Assignment where you have to do like 15 to 20 recalls, and then there is the pre-course games and then there is the actual IYC, Collar Grab, Crate Games.... which ones are we supposed to do first?? I'm assuming the proper games are actually part of the course content, and is the Critical Core like an assignment to do at the end of the week?

Do we have to do all the games or can we pick and choose which one we'd like to do? There are some games I'm not sure if I'll do.

I wouldn't mind a Melbourne catch-up during the break too, although I suspect I will be very behind compared to everyone else in terms of games progress.

No stupid questions :)

At the moment we are doing the Critical Core Games - they roll out one game a day but the idea is to incorporate part of one of the 4 Critical Core Games into your training every day. So yesterday, I did mostly Crate Games but threw in a bit of Call Once with Mr TSD.

The Critical Core Assignments were about sitting down and writing out lists of reinforces, distractions etc etc. If you already knew the Core Games you could start working on those whilst we waited for the course to start. I printed off extra training records and did "Pre-Games."

Personally I am going to do all the games, in order and as instructed. No point buying a dog and barking yourself, pardon the pun :D Same when I pay for physio - I come home and do all the exercises and stretches as instructed.

Put aside some time tonight to work your way through the Start Here tab. It is well worth it. Very, very detailed.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

It can get a bit confusing, especially when I'm reading about doing 20 recalls per session, 3 times a day, 7 days a week. That's pretty impossible when it's the middle of winter and you work full time.

At the moment I'm just focusing on the games that are released each day and mixing them up so the dogs don't get bored, I'll get out to do some longer recalls on the weekend and probably focus on that more once the 8 weeks of games are up.

For example last night when I got home I played a bit of tug with both the dogs, as I need that level of excitement to get a good tug.

Then I did a bit of the CCG with Sarah and played IYC with both dogs while I was watching the crate games video (kibble on the couch next to me which got dispensed when they were making the right choice)

After OH got home we played about a minute of call once with Collie then I moved onto crate games. Collie first followed by Sarah

All in all it was probably took about an hour, although 30 mins was watching the crate games video. There was lots of little breaks as well.