Susan Garrett Recallers Online Course

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's disappointing SC. What did she do?

Pulled a hind leg muscle real bad after suffering a nasty fall from an unpleasant encounter with a psycho off leash dog and its moron owner in a clearly signed on leash area. :swear:

ETA: we probably won't be able to come to the catch up either. sigh.

Edited by silentchild

That's disappointing SC. What did she do?

Pulled a hind leg muscle real bad after suffering a nasty fall from an unpleasant encounter with a psycho off leash dog and its moron owner in a clearly signed on leash area. :swear:

ETA: we probably won't be able to come to the catch up either. sigh.

Oh no, that's just terrible! I hope she heals quickly, SC.

Is anyone here skipping any of the games?

I think I am going to skip the Game of Deke ( that name reminds me so much of month python, but back on topic).

Del just looks at me blankly, I can't get her excited for it, and I don't much see the point of it? Seems like it could be quite relevant to agility?

Played a few games at training on Sat, Thisbe is finally getting comfortable there and is a little tugging maniac. I am committed to taking her to my local park tomorrow to try her tugging out there, it has been a while and she can be a bit off with tugging in public. Fav toy is a ball on a rope, which isn't MY fav but we'll work with it for now and transfer the value gradually.

She is cracking me up with her love of RZ though, I sometimes cannot get her out of it to do, say, a sit to front, and she has started offering it to people she meets, which confuses them no end! And if you don't notice/pay quickly enough, she starts backing around you and yodelling.

Edited by superminty

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally managed to practise some games outside the home environment. Mostly static type exercises like RZ and nose touch, but also some start line stuff, and a bit of tug.

Today we were at the Bendigo Rally trial and she stayed focused really well - got her interested in the toy by playing Hide N Seek 1 - which amused people no end as she knocked my hat and sunglasses off and wriggled her way underneath me. Her attention span is pretty short but I am getting better at finishing a session before she loses interest (sometimes only 10 secs or so) and recognising when she is done and needs a snooze.

Only a couple of weeks to go! We need to arrange a post Recallers catch up.

Edited by superminty

Anyone in icpeeps wants an overdose of live streaming...

it was on last night all night, and it's on again tonight from 10:00pm SA time or 8:30am Toronto time - tech permitting. Bits of it can be looked at for about four hours from broadcast using a PC and rewind ie you can log in around 7am and watch the last few hours.

Mostly lecture format.

There was some detailed stuff on why reinforcement is easier to use than punishment and why punishment needs to be escalated to achieve the same result - something about the A process (adrenaline response to punishment) being cancelled out by a delayed B process (calm down) and a lag in the calm down process that can actually make the punishment start to seem enjoyable (and stop being as punishing cos its not so aversive)

which explains why dogs trained with shock collars can have less stress hormones than dogs trained other ways... Cos of the b process. But they can also become desensitized to the shock so it no longer works.

We tried the Tug - Drop - Run game today with huge success!!!! :thumbsup: First time ever she has chased after me whilst holding a tug, she normally just drops it - she loooved the game and we got some awesome intensive tugging from my not-so-enthusiastic tugger! I am pretty bad at catching the tug when she brings it to me tho... will have to work on my coordination! I pulled a back muscle today doing it, LOL.

Have also been having fun with the Smoke Ya game but she is waayyy too fast for me and we can't play it on slippery surfaces cause of her soreness problems and she slips over a lot. Still a lot of fun and easy wins for her on grass! :laugh:

Sounds like she is talking about the same mechanisms involved in drug addiction.

Also happens with people who sky dive and that sort of thing.

I suspect it's more like the same mechanisms involved in brain washing... drug addiction the chemicals are supplied from external sources, what SG's presenter was talking about was chemicals or just responses supplied as an internal response to an external stimulus...

Eg "I like this" or "I'm freaked out by this"...

She talked a lot about being confined in a small space with a lot of spiders (flooding) and the risks of flooding (trauma and massive aversion) and the benefits (realising that spiders aren't so bad - hard to believe).

We tried the Tug - Drop - Run game today with huge success!!!! :thumbsup: First time ever she has chased after me whilst holding a tug, she normally just drops it - she loooved the game and we got some awesome intensive tugging from my not-so-enthusiastic tugger! I am pretty bad at catching the tug when she brings it to me tho... will have to work on my coordination! I pulled a back muscle today doing it, LOL.

Have also been having fun with the Smoke Ya game but she is waayyy too fast for me and we can't play it on slippery surfaces cause of her soreness problems and she slips over a lot. Still a lot of fun and easy wins for her on grass! :laugh:

Great on the tug - drop - run game! Took me ages to have success with that one! (Kaos used to just stand there holding the toy instead of chasing me . . . but he is good now! Not quite up to that with Nitro yet, soon though!)

Sounds like she is talking about the same mechanisms involved in drug addiction.

I suspect it's more like the same mechanisms involved in brain washing... drug addiction the chemicals are supplied from external sources, what SG's presenter was talking about was chemicals or just responses supplied as an internal response to an external stimulus...

She talked a lot about being confined in a small space with a lot of spiders (flooding) and the risks of flooding (trauma and massive aversion) and the benefits (realising that spiders aren't so bad - hard to believe).

yeah I'm pretty sure its the same thing, it's called Opponent Process theory :)

yeah I'm pretty sure its the same thing, it's called Opponent Process theory :)

Opponent Process theory - so it was.

So the addiction to external chemicals like alcohol and the build up of tolerance - is the same process as the addiction to internal chemicals eg adrenaline and dopamine from things like extreme sports or lots of running?

Sure is!

The body's pretty amazing huh?

The amazing thing that gets me - is the mind - body relationship...

ie if your body isn't working properly - eg you get an injury and you can't get around as easily as you used to - some people get sad (I did) ie a broken body can lead to a broken mind - and not just knee injuries but also the diseases will do this...

But if your mind isn't working properly - it can cause all sorts of problems in the rest of your body...

And if your mind is working really well - you can "tune out" pain and injury completely while you get your body out of a crisis...

I know this, have experienced it, but don't have the ability to heal by thinking the broken bits better... sigh.

OT,

Yeah MRB, I think we still have a tendency to think of the mind and the body as separate entities, which of course isn't true at all. In fact I think in the next few decades we will start to do away with the concept of the mind at all, at least in academic-land anyway :) Although not if the cognitive psychologists have anything to do with it!

Edited by raineth